Monday, July 31, 2017

How to Help a Grieving Friend by Stephanie Grace Whitson ends August 7




 Please welcome Stephanie Grace Whitson to my blog this week. Stephanie is giving away 5 (yes, I said 5!) copies of her book so read on down to see how to enter. 

Five Books That Changed My Life

Stephanie Grace Whitson

Do you belong to a book club? I do, and one of the things I love most about it is being introduced to new authors I might have missed. So many books … so little time, right?


One of the bookshelves in my “books-are-stacked-to-the-ceiling” office is reserved for some especially precious books. The “keepers.” The ones I treasure because they changed my life—both novels and non-fiction. Today, I share about five of those “keepers.” 

 

 


The Attributes of God by Arthur W. Pink My husband, Bob, and I read this book aloud together as newlyweds. What I learned impacts me to this day (it’s second only to the Bible in my life). Why? Well, when I’m going through a difficult time, taking my eyes off the circumstance and focusing them on God helps me bear up by reminding me Whose I am. The seventeen short entries explain things like God’s solitariness, faithfulness, goodness, mercy, love … and wrath. A balanced view of the Almighty changes my life for the better in countless ways. 


How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life by Alan Lakein

I was a newlywed with no children and no thoughts of being a novelist when I first read this book. Bob and I used to spend every New Year’s Day with it, going over our life goals, re-evaluating how we used our time, and adjusting accordingly. I now have five grown children, ten grandchildren, and twenty-eight books in print. And I still value the simple principles and practices shared in chapters with titles like “What Do You Really Want from Life?” “How to Create Quiet Time for Yourself” and “How to Do Better Next Time.”

 





Hidden Art by Edith Schaeffer 
Schaeffer is one of the mentors whose books and example taught me how to be a Christian wife and mother. This book, based on the premise that “because man was created in the image of the Creator, man was created that he might create,” describes how to implement creativity in music, painting, interior design, flower arrangements, drama, etc., in everyday life. 
 

Loving God with All Your Mind by Elizabeth George When Bob (my first husband) was battling the cancer that would take his life, I purchased this book because I didn’t think I loved God enough. Little did I know that this book would change me at a fundamental level—my thought life. Subjects like “Taking Every Thought Captive,” “Keeping On Keeping On,” and “Enduring Difficult Times” arrived in my life at exactly the right time. 

This book put my feet to things I was learning from the Elizabeth George book mentioned above, providing practical things for me to do that helped me survive the worst moments of my life (the father of my children was dying and I was facing life as a young widow and single mother). What I remember most about it was beginning a list of “thankfuls” and running out of room on the paper. My husband was dying, but “in light of eternity” nothing was out of control, and I had a lot for which to be thankful.



 


Those are the five books … and yet I want to mention two more—Mary Beth Chapman’s Choosing to See and Randy Alcorn’s Heaven. Both books helped me in the midst of struggle, reminding me to have HOPE.









 GIVEAWAY
What book has most impacted your daily life? What book has given you hope? Share the titles so we can all learn. As a way of thanking you for sharing, I’ll be giving away 5 copies of my little book How to Help a Grieving Friend. Be sure to let me know how to contact you for a shipping address if you win one!



About Stephanie
Stephanie Grace Whitson celebrated her twentieth year as a published
novelist in 2014. When not writing or researching, she enjoys reading,
quilting, spoiling her grandchildren and/or Kona (the golden retriever),
and riding her motorcycle named Kitty. Learn more at
www.stephaniewhitson.com. Join the conversation at https://www.facebook.com/StephanieGraceWhitsonofficial/



18 comments:

  1. The book that has impacted my daily life is Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer or What's So Amazing About Grace by Phillip Yancey. Have a blessed day.
    leliamae54(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding, Lucy. I wasn't aware of that Yancey book. Will have to check it out!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great little book. And one I should read. I have several friends struggling with grief over a lost loved one.
    Amber Schamel
    Visionwriter2 at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several young widows and young adults who'd lost parents helped with the answers to the question, "What gave you meaningful help?"

      Delete
  3. The book that has impacted my life most is:
    Love & Respect (Dr. Emerson Eggerichs)
    moma3homeschool(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Michelle. I hope you've written Dr. Eggerichs to let him know what his book has meant to you.

      Delete
  4. I have a young friend in a nearby state who lost her husband in a motorcycle accident last year. Would so like to minister to her further ~ we privately personal message each other. Would love to win a copy of Stephanie's book. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my husband died, I was blessed with friends who were walking the valley, too. Those who had endured a sudden lost agreed that their grief journey was different from mine. Not "better" or "worse," but different.

      Delete
  5. Forgot to add my email. The three authors who have been mentors to me are Elisabeth Elliot Gren, Ingrid Trobisch Youngdale, and Edith Schaeffer. So much motherly wisdom so needed by all of us. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are kindred spirits in the women we admire!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found Mark Batterson books on prayer impactful. Thanks for sharing your list, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have all the books you listed in the church library.
    A Grief Share group meets at our church on Wednesday nights.
    Your book would be a valuable addition to the library.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. One book that impacted my early life was The Key to Triumphant Living by Jack R. Taylor adn He Spoke and I was Strengthened by Dick Mills. How to Help a Grieving Friend sounds like one I need to read. I have several friends and family members who are struggling with grief. Thank you for your gnerous giveaway.
    marilynridgway78 [at] gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  11. THE HIDING PLACE by Corrie Ten Boom and several of her devotionals. It taught me that no matter what you have to believe that God is with you, I also learned to ask God for his grace to do what was required.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still struggling with grief myself. I am reading a devotional Moments of Peace in the Presence of God. Fishingjan(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The winners are Michelle, Amber, Kathleen, Jan, and Marilyn! Thank you, Stephanie for your generosity! She will be contacting you soon.

    ReplyDelete