Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Captive Brides Collection with Love's Escape by Carrie Fancett Pagels ends October 30



Please welcome my good friend Carrie to the blog this week. Carrie is an awesome lady with a beautiful gift of telling stories that come from her beautiful spirit. Thank you for visiting with us this week Carrie!
 

When the Spirit Convicts Us

By Carrie Fancett Pagels

What do you do when the Holy Spirit convicts you to do something dangerous?

In “Love’s Escape” which is part of The Captive Brides Collection (Barbour, October, 2017), both Nathan Pleasant, the hero, and David Bryant, his best friend, a ship captain, are convicted to help two young women escape a Southern plantation. Their job is a little easier than most, because both women can “pass” for white being of only one-eighth African descent. But because they are being pursued, they face the danger of losing the women they’ve come to love as well as possible imprisonment. Both have already said goodbye to their families, will need to seek new jobs once they reach their destination, and are quickly exhausting their financial resources. Whew! That’s a lot!

I’ve always been intrigued by the people who would reach out and help others, risking their own lives and livelihoods. Those brave people often report that they were acting on their beliefs. Belief in God is one thing, but acting on the prompting of the Holy Spirit, in obedience to God, is key to taking those steps beyond the ordinary, beyond the human nature that constrains us, beyond all societal restraints and limits of intellect. And really, if we are honest with ourselves, when we’ve gotten a nudge from the Lord doesn’t it often seem “unnatural” and against what our fleshly inclination would be? But when we act in obedience to His prompts, He rewards that action.

Question: Has the Lord ever called you to do something outside your comfort zone that blessed you?

Giveaway: A copy of The Captive Brides Collection which includes my novella “Love’s Escape” an Underground Railroad story set in 1850.

When Letitia, the light-skinned house servant of the prominent Burwell family, learns that her father is the master of the plantation, and the one responsible for her mother’s death, she seeks any means of escape from her life of slavery. As she prepares meals and fetches tea for women who are her half-sisters by blood, Lettie becomes more determined that she’ll not live out her days in servitude.

Nathan Pleasant, the undertaker’s son, secretly transports slaves from Virginia and onto the Underground railroad via a network of funeral homes. He’s grown attached to the Burwell’s beautiful house servant, but sees that Lettie’s desperate attempts to leave slavery are making her vulnerable for exploitation – or worse. When he must choose between his livelihood or Lettie’s freedom, will his heart win out?

 
Bio – Carrie Fancett Pagels, Ph.D.

Carrie Fancett Pagels, Ph.D., is the award-winning author of fifteen Christian historical romances, including ECPA bestsellers. Twenty-five years as a psychologist didn't "cure" her overactive imagination! A self-professed “history geek,” she resides with her family in the Historic Triangle of Virginia but grew up as a “Yooper,” in Michigan’s beautiful Upper Peninsula. Carrie loves to read, bake, bead, and travel – but not all at the same time! You can connect with her at www.CarrieFancettPagels.com.




Danny Gokey’s song “Rise” is Lettie’s theme song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJS42sKrM8c
One reason I picked this song is because Letitia begins her escape in a coffin and part of her spiritual journey is very much like this song. Danny always has a new song just for me!





Check at your local Christian bookstores, e.g., Lifeway, to see if they have copies, too!

Lettie’s cornbread recipe:
4 Cups white whole ground cornmeal
2 Cups coconut milk
½ cup oil or fat (bacon grease or butter makes it tasty!)
1 tsp. ground salt
2 Tablespoons baking powder
3-4 eggs depending on how cakelike you want your cornbread to be.

Stir all together. Get your oven right hot (Set oven to 425 degrees.) Grease a good sized pan. Cook 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown.  When everyone has cleaned that pan out if you have some crumblers then take the crumbs and mix them in as a substitute for bread crumbs. Enjoy!

46 comments:

  1. I went outside my comfort zone by joining the Army when I was 19 in 1981. I was always afraid of being sent to fight in a war, but luckily I was not. I felt the calling to join, but not to remain after 6 years. It changed me from a crybaby to a strong female role model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There we go, I had a hard time replying up here. Thanks for your service, Debbie! My sister was in the US Army back during the Vietnam War era, at the end of it. I'm glad God used that to bless you!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I can say I have been called outside of my comfort zone a few times in my life and each timed ended up being blessed.

    wfnren at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! I'm glad for your testimony! Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Many many times I have been blessed by being called outside my comfort zone and following through with the calling.
    The first one that pops in my mind is becoming a mother, it frightens me to be trusted to raise such special spirits, but I have been so blessed to develop a deeper love and empathy and to develop new talents I wouldn't ever find otherwise.

    ttmom42 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terressa! Yes, it is frightening at times to try to raise children in today's modern world! Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Hi Debbie! My Sister entered the US Army at age 19, also! Thank you for your service!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I joined the Army right out of high school during the 70's. I'm glad I did. fishingjanATaolDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have been in when my sister was, Jan! Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Hey Deb and Carrie! Great interview. I was asked to help out in a Sunday School class when my kids were small. I felt the call to teach that same day. Within a month's time, I was teaching my own class. I taught for over 20 years...some of the best years of my life.
    debsbunch777(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chappy! Thanks! I was just thinking last night about all the Sunday school I taught and Children's Church. I miss it, too!

      Delete
  7. when God calked me and my hubby to Marriage Ministry. It was hard st first to share our testimony but God showed me that I should not feel shame only joy thst He brough us bsck together. We were married, I divorced him then got remarried. Short version. But the couples we met blessed us so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I quite follow this Deana, but all ministry brings blessings when God is in it!

      Delete
  8. Hi Everyone!

    This is a great interview. Makes people think. What would Jesus do? What is morally right?
    There has been a few different times in my life which I had to go out of my comfort zone to do what is morally right. I was scared but knew something had to been said and done. The fear of being hurt myself had to be put on the back burner as to speak. For other lives were in jeopardy. The blessing was for them to be safe.
    Carrie is an excellent writer who digs into history accurately tells the stories and brings them to life.
    I would love to read Letitias story along with all of the others in this collection.
    Many Blessings to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! Thanks so much! Being stretched always blesses us and others doesn't it! Hugs my friend!

      Delete
  9. Yes. All the time. Here while back I was so upset and fearful when the doctor found a spot in my lungs. Then we were at church and I felt I needed to go to the front at the alters and ask for anointed prayer. I realized that evening that God took that fear away. It has not come back. ThTs been almost 3 months. I am concerned of course because nobody wants to get bad news and my new CT is scheduled for in the morning but I don’t have that debilitating fear. God is a healer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never thought He'd call me to stay at home with my children....but He did. And I blissfully stayed home for 8 months and was led to a part-time work opportunity, which I still enjoy currently. My children loved having me home for awhile. Now we have a decent balance of my being at home for a few days and my working a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MH! PTL you are able to be with you kids more and that God answered your prayer!

      Delete
  11. Hello, friends.
    I have stepped out of my comfort zone many times. Most recently, I said I would do a guest review for a special person. I fretted over it. But now, I love doing it! As a guest...I don't know that I could do it full time. I still fret over every review I write but it is becoming a bit easier. Thank you, Carrie, for inviting me out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Haha, that's funny! Of course you were supposed to do those guest reviews and you've done an awesome job on the Overcoming With God blog! Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to add "Please Do Not include me in the giveaway!" As I already own this book.

      Delete
  12. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is sometimes scary, sometimes nerve racking, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie! We're about to have two bathrooms remodeled and that's way outside of my comfort zone but it has got to be done. God brought everything together to show us His way, too!

      Delete
  13. Hey Debbie Lynne and Carrie! I am definitely out of my comfort zone since our house flooded in August. The Lord is stretching me. I've seen many blessings already and know that more are on the way.

    (((((HUGS)))))

    I'm a feedburner follower. psalm103and138atgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Caryl, I am SO sorry you've been outside your home since the hurricane! Praying for you!

      Delete
  14. I've had to go outside of my comfort zone by being talkative and happy toward someone, when (a.) I'm a naturally shy person and (b.) it was someone who had done myself and my family a bad turn that affected us for a very long time. But, in the end, what Satan intended for evil, God meant it for good. And I would go outside my comfort zone all over again, if I had to, to bring about the happy outcome that it has.
    Elly -Indiana-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elly! Thanks for coming by and sharing! God is good like that, isn't He?

      Delete
  15. When I served as the leader in our church congregation's women's group I was totally out of my element, but getting to know everyone better and serving them brought so many blessings!

    colorvibrant at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! Good for you to do that! I have served in a lot of capacities but normally with kid's groups at the many churches we have attended over the years (we moved a lot!) Blessings!

      Delete
  16. I'm an AVID reader and would love to read these

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went out of my comfort zone when I moved to the UP. Some days I still think I might have made a mistake but I do know that I have grown more as a Christian living up here. Avid reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry! As a former Yooper woman (and once a Yooper always a Yooper) I congratulate you on that move! Blessings!

      Delete
  18. I'm Avid and enjoy your books. Thanks for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. God definitely called me to go out of my comfort zone when I became the choir leader at church. I was so scared during that first year that I would actually see spots and feel like I was going to pass out. I'm still very nervous when I get up there, but thankfully, the spots have gone away. Because of this role in our services, and though I am scared, I have been blessed over the last seven years time and time again. I thank God that our ways are not His ways.

    DAVID
    mandydawn@email.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy! God bless you for being a choir leader! That's wonderful! I totally agree -- God's ways are not our ways~!

      Delete
    2. CONGRATS MANDY Bentley you are my winner!

      Delete
  20. I love these collections! Thanks for the offer! I’m an avid reader of Christian historical fiction! paulams49ATsbcglobalDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paula, I love these collections, too! And I love writing for them as well as reading them. Blessings!

      Delete
  21. Thanks for your interesting comments. I am def an avid reader of christian fiction and also a reviewer of many authors and publishers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would have to say that God called me out of my comfort zone of living with the best parents I could ever want to enter become a Religious Sister of the Holy Family of Nazareth. I so missed my parents but God's call had to be answered. May God be praised. Thank you for the interview and I would so love to win this contest. flowersmarylou85(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry I missed the drawing but yes, I have gone, protesting all the way, out of my comfort zone and yes,I have been blessed to do so.
    Thanks Carrie & Debbie. I follow both of you!
    Blessings!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete