Monday, September 18, 2017

Lamp unto Her Feet by Paula Mowlery ends 9/25



Please welcome Paula Mowery to my blog this week. Paula is giving away an ebook copy of her book. Be sure to leave a comment and answer one of her questions.

My paternal grandmother’s Bible was given to me several years after she passed away. One day I was flipping through it and found passages underlined in First John. As I read through the verses, my arms crawled with goose bumps. Basically it was the answer to why I write Christian fiction.

Later I began to notice many other verses and passages highlighted or underlined. That’s when I started imagining a story in which a young woman gains her grandmother’s Bible after her death. Upon perusing the Bible, the woman realizes that her grandmother had highlighted and commented on certain passages and then numbered them for her granddaughter to follow. Upon further “what if” journeys in my mind, I imagined the verses guiding the woman’s life specifically, almost eerily.

I’m hoping readers will discover as Kenzie and I did that God’s Word can be trusted and will guide lives.

How about you? How has the Bible proved itself in your life? What passages have spoken into your life recently? 


Kenzie Murrah has lost the guiding voice of her Nana Nita just when she needs it most. She’s graduating mid-year with her early childhood degree, but her parents expect her to join the family chiropractic business. In her Bible, Nana explains how God’s Word can guide Kenzie, but there’s doubt on Kenzie’s part, until the highlighted verses begin to follow her life much too closely.

Trevor Wallen escaped an embarrassing and reputation smearing incident to become a police officer in the small Tennessee town. He strives to do his best to follow Christian principles but longs for God to bring someone into his life with those same morals and values.
Kenzie and Trevor share an attraction for one another that grows into more until a tragedy threatens to end everything. Kenzie begins to shy away from reading the next scripture passage, for fear of what may happen.
Will Kenzie learn she can trust God’s Word? Will Kenzie and Trevor get the chance for a happily ever after despite the dangers of his occupation? 

About Paula:

Paula is a pastor’s wife, mom to a college student, author, acquiring editor, and speaker. No matter the hat she wears, she strives to honor God’s plan even if it means going out on a limb and leaving comfort zones. Reviewers have characterized her writing as “thundering with emotion.” Her book, Be The Blessing, won the 2014 Selah Award in the novella category. Paula enjoys reading and reviewing Christian fiction, writing Christian romance and devotionals, and helping other authors realize their dream of publication.  


Learn more about Paula and find other places to link with her on her blog at www.paulamowery.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. Lamp Unto Her Feet calls my name. I have a Bible from my grandmother and grandfather that are treasures. They were in the ministry for many years. Thank you, Debbie, for featuring Paula Mowlery. She's a new author to me, but her stories sound amazing filled with God's greatness and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy Kenzie and Trevor's story. I can't help but have my stories filled with God's greatness and love. He's blessed me beyond imagination!

      Delete
  2. This sounds intriguing. In our Ladies Bible Study we are in I John. It is very rich in wisdom. It seems to connect with what each of the ladies is going through andcto the world situation right now! Thanks for the review and interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, thanks for sharing that. Isn't it amazing how God's Word speaks to each of us where we are. This is why it is said to be the living Word of God.

      Delete
  3. i pray that my Bible will be helpful to the future generations to come. My children and I have been working and praying through anxiety, especially with the beginning of the school year. His Word is indeed true and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. This is why we shouldn't hesitate to write in our Bibles. Who knows what truths might be discovered by someone flipping through? Oh, I can so relate to that beginning of school year anxiety. I transferred this year from working with the Pre-K to interpreting for a deaf student in high school. And what a jump it was!

      Delete
  4. I've been highlighting & writing special scriptures that have "spoken" to me for some time. At the funeral of a good friend of mine, the pastor commented that one of the best guidelines for him to build his talk about a person who had passed was the scriptures written on the inside leaves of their Bible. Her love of God & her desire to serve Him in any way she could was the shining evidence in those scriptures.
    I love the story line of your book. Made me stop to think about the possibility of a love one "checking" me out by way of those scriptures. That said, there was a Christian song some years ago: May all who come behind me find me worthy!
    Blessings on your wonderful writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. My husband is a pastor. He usually does ask for the person's Bible or what passages the family might know were special to the deceased. And after looking through my grandmother's Bible and writing this story, it made me think about my own Bible too.

      Delete