Monday, February 20, 2017

Valentine Matchmaker Collection with Why Not? by Debra E Marvin ends Feb. 27



Please give Debra a warm welcome here at The Sword and Spirit! It's so good to have you on the blog this week, Debra. Be sure to read on down to see how to enter to win the whole Valentine collection of 9 novellas!

Singing those old Writer’s Blues!

Thank you so much for hosting me, Debbie Lynne. I’d also like to thank you for helping so many authors promote their work over the years. It’s been quite a few years since I met you as part of an online group of historical fiction authors!

Many authors may have heard that we are likely to put ten years into this career before becoming published. That number has certainly changed by the accessibility of self-publishing. But I have to agree that it takes years to really be ‘halfway’ ready for publication. I admit that year after year, I’d look at my writing and see room for improvement in what I once thought ‘pretty good!’.

To write for a traditional publisher is a dream for most authors. But it takes getting a foot in the door and the percentages are extremely low. First—find an agent. Not easy. They are not going to take on the work unless they are very sure they can sell it. Then, on any given day, an editor may give that work a glance and turn it down. Why? Because she just bought something similar, or it’s not a genre that’s selling to their customers… etc. Publication is just as much timing as it is quality.

On my journey, I grew weary. Opportunities seemed to come and then disappear. For unpublished authors, most editors want to see a completed manuscript, not just a proposal. After spending six months or a year, or more, on one story, the editor’s hurried assessment can quickly end the dream.

I began to see writing as a bad relationship. I put effort in and received nothing back (or so it seemed). I worked full time and I wanted to spend time with family and friends, but writing meant spending a day at the computer instead. So, I stopped writing. Except I wasn’t ready to give up the writing life. I thought about stories, I loved hearing about what my writer friends were working on—in other words, I still thought like a writer.

But I sure enjoyed being ‘a normal person’ for a year or so.

Until I was offered a contract on an old project!

That was a couple years ago and since then, I’ve published novellas with two small publishers and have a novel coming out with another later this year. It’s just as difficult as I remembered! But the separation period was helpful. I don’t have any real suggestions for new writers as to where to draw the line in priorities. It’s difficult. If you’d like to be casual about writing, and set your own schedule and publish on your own, you’ll have control over your so-called free time. But you’ll still have to market if you want more than your friends and family as readers. If you’re determined to succeed, this is a great time to be a writer! But the massive volume of writers publishing digital books means that it’s very difficult to be noticed. Today’s writers are also marketers. And most authors don’t like that one bit! 



Connect with me on Twitter , Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Website, Blog, and Follow my Amazon Author page. (Phew!) I currently have a promotion for new subscribers to my newsletter—I’m giving away a $25.00 Amazon gift card to one of the next fifty who sign up.

I’d bet that most authors have considered throwing in the towel. Let’s chat! First off—what do you think of all the baggage we carry around with us? I’m talking about the umpteem ways we try to connect with readers as evidenced by the above paragraph. Crazy, isn’t it? 



I’d love to hear from new, and experienced writers, as well as meet new readers! I’m giving away a digital boxed set of my latest release. Why Not, set in 1914 Grand Canyon Village, is one of the nine novellas in the Valentine Matchmaker Collection from ForgetMeNot Romances. 


To enter if you're a reader or a writer, tell Debra what draws you to this novella collection and why you'd like to win! Or tell her what you think would be or is the most difficult thing to do as a writer and why. Would it be dividing your time, the actual writing, the marketing, the rejections, or something else? DON'T FORGET to leave your email address! If you are a follower of my blog, kindly remind me for an extra entry. Also, share on Facebook and/or twitter for another entry!

Why Not?

Love Puts These Two On the Edge!


Grand Canyon, 1914
Society girl Amber Wynott’s wintry escape to the Grand Canyon provides a chance to pursue her dream and prove she has what it takes to be a successful architect. It doesn’t take long to realize the incredible scenery can’t hide the simmering anger between ‘railroad money’ and the struggling locals.
Which side is master builder Stone Morrison on?

Amber has met her match in the handsome, hard-headed man. He’s been directed to keep an eye on her, but when iron meets iron—oh the sparks! As their unlikely old matchmaker tells them, pride goes before a fall, and this is a bad place to fall. Will danger finally knock some sense into the pair?


15 comments:

  1. The collection has a variety of stories, contemporary and historical--sweet romance! Thanks so much, Debbie Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love the interviews on this blog!!! I once thought I'd like to write, but I don't have the discipline required, and the thought of having to create all those conversations in the stories almost gives me a panic attack!! But as a reader, it's wonderful to connect with the authors through their stories and blogs. For me it seems that self-promotion would be the very hardest hurdle to overcome. As a reader and author fan of many, I sure am glad you folks persevere and get your work out here to us!!! I am a feedburner follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie. I also don't think readers realize how much their feedback and appreciation helps. It's a lot of work--work we enjoy for the most part, but it does take a lot of time away from other things, so reader appreciation is a blessing!!

      Delete
  3. This looks good, I like historicals but some modern stuff is ok. My friend is trying to sell a children's book-- so her problem is getting a publisher. paulams49ATsbcglobalDOTnet. Thanks girls. I also follow Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula!
      I tend toward historicals myself, but I'm a big fan of mysteries and there I'm not so fussy about what century I'm in. I wish your friend the best. Children's book are fascinating because I love illustrations, but that also means finding the right collaborator.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy books set around Valentines. Throw in suspense and you've got my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Thanks for commenting. I love romantic suspense too. But I've never tried anything like Dani Pettry writes or any of the love inspired suspense. I do have a traditional mystery coming out later this year, though.

      Delete
  5. I am so thankful for all of the work you put into writing books for us to enjoy! I could never come up with enough ideas for a story or have the patience with the marketing. I think it would be discouraging to read rejections and bad reviews of what you have written and worked so hard on. I like to read just about any genre as long as it is Christian/clean. Thanks for this giveaway. I am a follower of Debbie. d[dot]brookmyer[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! Thanks so much. I know I have more ideas for stories than I'll ever have time to write. Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete
  6. Great post, Debra. I enjoyed reading about your writing journey so far. It's definitely not for the faint hearted! Good luck with your new book. I already have the Valentine collection, so don't enter me in the giveaway. I'm looking forward to CFRR in August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Winnie! thanks! I look forward to the Christian Fiction Readers Retreat for a number of reasons. Some of my favorite authors (LAURA FRANTZ, SQUEEEE!) and I get to meet, in person, so many of the reader/reviewers I've 'met' online. Authors are really writing in a vacuum without the acknowledgement and interaction with readers. I think it will be a good boost for me after some really intense deadlines.

      Delete
  7. I am a reader and I need to always have something to read! Novellas are enjoyable when I need a quick read. Thanks for sharing this post and giveaway.
    •Debbie Lynne, I follow your blog.
    •I have shared on Twitter
    https://twitter.com/cps1950/status/834764083635294208
    Blessings!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! I thank you for your support! I love seeing friends show up--the encouragement is so appreciated! :)

      Delete
  8. Of course, Love is the attraction! jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These two characters in Why Not were so much fun to write, because they had lots of sparks from Scene One! Thanks Joan!

      Delete