Monday, December 19, 2016

The Negotiated Marriage by Christine Rich ends 12/26



Please Welcome Christine Rich to my blog. Christine is giving away a copy of The Negotiated Marriage. Be sure to answer one of Christine's questions to enter. And don't for get to leave your email address. If you follow my blog by Feed burner be sure to let me know for an extra entry.

What’s in Your Hand?

A few months ago, I bore witness to a testimony of a gentleman residing at our local homeless shelter. He stood before our congregation with tears in his eyes, overwhelmed and excited. For sixteen years, he’d been disabled and unable to work. He had been thrown into a pit of despair and poverty.  For nothing better to do, he volunteered to help work on the new playground at the Mission’s Children Palace. They gave him a hammer drill and by the end of the day they offered to upgrade his orange volunteer shirt to a green employed shirt.

For sixteen years, this man had a label. Yesterday, he changed it. He took an active stance in the form of volunteering and realized he could do something more for himself. Somebody placed a tool in his hand and gave him an opportunity. His testimony touched me because I’ve been feeling out of sorts because I’ve allowed the voices of those around me to intrude on the Father’s voice.

Like the gentleman above, I haven’t ‘worked’ for twenty-seven years.  Now, don’t get me wrong. I did work, but I worked for my husband’s business and what should have been the family business, but because my husband was listed as a sole-proprietorship the kids and I were unable to inherit the business when he passed away. And even if we could have inherited the business, we didn’t know enough to keep it running. The girls cut and sewed fabric, I helped when I could, and my husband built and upholstered the furniture. All of our some days of learning and being taught by the master craftsman ran out when he became sick, which has left me and the kids in a new season.

The girls are young enough to seek out jobs and learn new skills and to figure out what is in their hands. As I mentioned above, it’s been at least twenty-seven years since I’ve applied for a job. When we had children, we decided that I would stay home and care for them. When they turned school age we decided to homeschool them.

So, yes, I worked. Maybe not in a socially acceptable form of work, and not something I can add to a resume, or work history, which is absolutely terrifying. I mean, who wants to hire a lifetime housewife and mother with no feasible work skills? It’s a dilemma that has been playing in my mind the last few months.

I’ve often asked the Lord, what now? I know I am to continue with ministry, but I’m not certain what that looks like, although I’m getting glimpses. I’m trying to wait on the Lord, but with bills looming time is running out and it’s been hard for me not to jump in and take the wheel. Last month, as I was cleaning out my husband’s van to sell it I was praying. To be honest, I was crying, at times that ugly-choking-sob kind of cry. As I was finishing the task, I noticed a small notecard underneath the driver’s side seat. The last place to clean. I picked up the card and written in my husband’s own hand was a scripture.

And the Lord said unto him, What is that in thine hand?

Exodus 4:2 (KJV)

My crying paused and peace settled over me. I knew God was speaking to Moses about the rod and the authority given to him by the Lord. I knew immediately what God was saying to me. He was having me look at what was in my hand, what He had given me authority to use.

I’ve sold four books and three novellas over the last four years, not quite enough to make a living. Being consumed with life, I hadn’t been fully obedient to the calling God placed on my life. I hadn’t made room for full-time writing. And here God was, such a good Father, using my husband’s own words to remind me, to encourage me, and guide me to be obedient to the calling on my life and use what was in my hand.

Have you been feeling out of sorts, misplaced, and wandering? I fully believe God has placed dreams within us. Dreams, such as music, writing, building houses, painting, traveling, restoring antique furniture, etc., that are meant to glorify His name. That doesn’t mean I don’t need to go out and search for a job. What it does mean is I need to be a good steward of the thing He has called me to do, which is write, teach, and speak to glorify Him. In my obedience, in your obedience, there will be abundant blessings.

And let the beauty and delightfulness and favor of the Lord our God be upon us; confirm and establish the work of our hands—yes, the work of our hands, confirm and establish it.

Psalm 90:17 (AMP)

I want to encourage to examine what is in your hand. What has God placed in your hand? Are you being an excellent steward of the gift He’s placed there?

About Christine:
Christina Rich is a mother of four children, a grandmother of one, a romance author with Love Inspired Historical, Forget Me Not Romances, a photographer, and a painter, and she is currently working on several non-fiction books. She teaches writing workshops Writing for God’s Glory and classes on breaking word curses and breaking ungodly soul-ties. She is excited about a new adventure with P.E.R.K. Passionate Evangelicals Restoring Kindness and recently began Rich Ministries to carry on the legacy her husband began before he graduated to heaven, which focuses on reconciling people to God through Jesus Christ, helping equip the saints for spiritual warfare, and preparing them for the return of Jesus.


You can connect with her on Facebook at Author Christina Rich and on Twitter @Christinainspy



The Negotiated Marriage (November 2016) Love Inspired Historical

Dear Author (October 2016) Forget Me Not Romances

Rekindling the Flame (June 2016) Forget Me Not Romances
Captive on the High Seas (July 2015) Love Inspired Historical
The Warrior's Vow (July 2014) Love Inspired Historical
The Guardian's Promise (March 2014) Love Inspired Historical


 
The Negotiated Marriage
A Business Arrangement 
When the railroad pushes to buy her land, orphaned Cameron Sims will do anything to keep the only home she and her sisters have ever known. Even if she must marry a stranger. But she’s determined her agreement with the mysterious, dashing man—who’s unlike anything the Kansas railroad town has ever seen—will remain simply business.
Duncan Murray doesn’t want a wife. He wants Sims Creek, a sanctuary that can help him forget a troubled childhood. But his reluctant, and captivating, bride-to-be is key to making his dreams a reality. And despite their business arrangement, Camy and Duncan might be signing on the dotted line for true love…

 





Dear Author
When Janie Mason agrees to write editorials featuring the eligible bachelors of Hopper Falls, she hopes for an opportunity to write about the injustices plaguing their free-state community and the man whose family is responsible for instilling fear in the hearts of good folks. She never thought she’d find herself in a compromising situation with the object of her disdain.

No stranger to the gossip-mongers, Alec Dunn knows the best course of action is to pay them no heed, but when the object of the town’s pointing fingers is cast from her home, his sense of honor demands he rescue her, even if it means taking her hand in marriage.





24 comments:

  1. I have a home and feel God wants me to be hospitable to single women. My family is not coming until the day after Christmas so I have invited other single women to my home on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day. jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, that is wonderful! I pray your time together is abundantly blessed.

      Delete
  2. I believe that God has encouraged me with the gifts of positive thinking and a desire to encourage and I try to use these gifts as often as I can.
    Debbie, I follow you.
    Merry Christmas!
    Connie
    cps1950(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I believe the gift of encouragement, after love, is one of the most important ones that God is gifted as people with.

      Delete
  3. I really don't know what gift is in my hand, though I do try and help out friends if I see a need, whether by time, or buying something for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, it sounds as though your love languages are quality time and gifts. Those are wonderful things to have in your hand. I pray God blesses your hands to bless those you share your love languages with.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. One way to figure it out, what is the desire of your heart? How does that desire line up with the Word? Then ask God to help you take that Godly desire and bless others, as well.as provide an income for you if you need it.

      Delete
  5. God gave me a heart for hurting people and I pray I use it to the best of my ability. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, I'll agree with you. Having been in ministry has shown me that there are hurting people everywhere.

      Delete
  6. I do not know what gift is in my hand. But I am a very socialable person, and I will tend to talk to anyone - especially those that seem by themselves. I would love to read that book. My hubby told me "stop buying so many books" lol. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, social is one thing I struggle with. I would be perfectly content hiding behind the pottes plants. However, God has moved out into the crowd. Not always comfortable for me, but I'm trying.

      Delete
  7. Right now I am a pharmacy technician, part time, which is enough hours for me! Soon enough, when my husband retires, we will go into a new phase. Right now I'm trying to be patient...I would love to have more time for my grandchildren. Thanks for the thought-provoking question.
    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net I am a feedburner follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Connie, the joy of grandchildren. I became a first time grandma two weeks before my husband passed away. GOD'S time is perfect!

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure what is 'in my hand' but I try to be patient, understanding, and helpful, not only to family and friends but to those that I see in need.

    wfnren at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like what's in your hand is a bunch of fruit. :) The fruit of the Spirit.

      Delete
  9. Working with abused children and their families I'm sharing empathy, compassion and using my hands to assist them in the numerous ways they need. I also use my hands to bake for others and send encouraging notes or cards to individuals who are struggling. Thank you for sharing. I am a follower of your blog.
    marilynridgway78[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're love languages arw also quality time and gifts. God most have known how important those gifts are to gift so many people with them.

      I admire your work with abused children. My brother is working to become a court mediator for families.

      Delete
  10. I don't have any special talents or anything that I'm passionate about so I honestly don't know what God has placed in my hand. I do know that I love the Lord & I pray that if he ever does place something in my hands, I will be aware & be a good steward. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Christine & Debbie! Debbie I also follow your blog with feedburner! rw620 AT aol DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin,I have no doubt it's there. I will ask God to stir it deep within and birth it out of you.

      Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  11. I can't really do much due to many physical issues I have, but I do the shut in and sick card ministry for our church. On Thanksgiving a lady came to church and shared a testimony how the card encouraged her. She didnt know I sent it, but later I introduced myself and she said it encouraged her depression to come to church. Also others have said they are encouraged so I hope I am doing my best for Jesus right now even though its a small thing.
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a stay at home mom, so sometimes it's hard to know what particular gifts I have. But, I do know that I want to be the best wife and mother that I can possibly be. To be a godly example not only for my son's sake, but for others as well.

    Thank you so much for sharing your story. It really struck a chord in my heart. I'm looking forward to reading your books!

    jdennis298(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Connie R! You won Christine's book. She'll be contacting you shortly.

    ReplyDelete