Monday, September 12, 2016

Dawn of Liberty by Amber Schamel ends 9/19

Please welcome Amber Schamel to my blog this week. Amber is giving away an ebook copy of her book so be sure to read on down on how to enter. And don't forget to leave your email addy or let me know if you are a feedburner follower for an extra entry. 




Historical Fiction – It’s a conspiracy!
By Amber Schamel

I loved history class. But that makes me weird. Most of the folks I’ve talked to HATED history in school. Just a bunch of boring dates, names, and events that don’t even matter today. To a history lover, this sounds like heresy! However, I’ve also had the privilege of meeting a few folks that have been converted from this type of thinking. ;) And it was done through Historical Fiction.

I love historical fiction because it takes the names, dates, and events and breathes life and character into them. It causes the scenes of history to come alive in the mind. It brings out the story behind the names and dates. I suppose you could say that it takes history and plants it into a more palatable form.

I remember one time my mother did this. She conspired to make the family eat eggplant unknowingly. She made lasagna and used thinly sliced eggplant in place of the noodles, hoping that the sauce, meat and cottage cheese would make it unnoticeable. Let me tell you, it didn’t work. Eggplant does not at all compare to pasta, I don’t care what nutritionists say. Nasty stuff. It didn’t cut like noodles, it tasted horrible, and I nearly lost my appetite for lasagna altogether. To this day, the only thing I like about eggplant is the lovely color of purple it is. Nice to look at, but don’t ask me to eat it.

Historical fiction has a similar challenge. To take history and make it interesting, gripping, and an unforgettable adventure. In this way, some folks might consider us authors to be conspirators. Working together to brainwash people into loving and consuming history, without even knowing it.

If that’s a crime, I’m guilty. Guilty of hoping to share the love and fascination I have with the past and it’s many intriguing people and happenings.

So, what do you think? Is historical fiction a “conspiracy”? Has historical fiction changed the way you see history? Have you ever run across a historical book that felt like eggplant lasagna? Share your thoughts below to get your name in the drawing to win an ebook copy of Dawn of Liberty




Liberty comes with a price. Can a fledgling nation bear the cost?
British forces advance upon a struggling colonial army. The time of decision has come. Declare independence, or give up the fight. The weight of a nation rests on Samuel Adams' shoulders as he joins the delegates of the Second Continental Congress. Can he raise the cause of Liberty above the fear of the King's wrath in the hearts of his countrymen?
Three riveting short stories follow Samuel Adams as he struggles through the events surrounding the Declaration of Independence and evokes the Dawn of Liberty.
*******
Dawn of Liberty
Liberty hangs in the balance. With Pennsylvania's vote divided, the declaration may not pass. Samuel Adams has two hours to convince the delegates to pass the document or the lives sacrificed for freedom will be worthless.




About Amber:
Multi-published author Amber Schamel writes riveting stories that bring HIStory to life. She has a passion for history, books and her Savior. This combination results in what her readers call "historical fiction at its finest". A homeschool graduate from a family of 12 children, Amber found her calling early in life. First published at age 21, she has continued to hone her craft and is now the author of over half a dozen books. Between ministry, family and working in their family-owned businesses, Amber loves to connect with readers. Find her on the Stitches Thru Time blog, or on any of the major social media sites. Amber is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers, and the Historical Novel Society.

http://amberschamel.com/

Newsletter & updates: http://www.amberschamel.com/newsletter-signup.html
Blogs - http://stitchesthrutime.blogspot.com/
http://www.hhhistory.com/
http://amberschamel.blogspot.com/

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/AuthorAmberSchamel

Twitter - @AmberSchamel https://twitter.com/AmberSchamel

Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/AmberDSchamel/

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7073165.Amber_Schamel Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Schamel/e/B00CIXK91M


PURCHASE Dawn of Liberty:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0N34KE

Amazon short link: http://dld.bz/eFtH4

Deeper Shopping: http://www.deepershopping.com/item/amber-schamel/dawn-of-liberty-short-story-collection/6863926.html

14 comments:

  1. Eggplant Lasagna?? That could be a good thing! jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joan,
      Ah, you must be an eggplant lover!

      Delete
  2. I am laughing so hard right now!!!! I have done this to my kids and grandkids for years, but usually with more success than your poor mom!!! And I love the analogy of historical fiction planting the facts into a more palatable format...that certainly appeals to me. If you take me to a museum, my eyes usually glaze over after an hour. My husband, however, can spend days perusing the exhibits and will gladly go see the same exhibits over and over again. So fiction for me often opens a door that I'm too lazy to open myself, until an author does it, and piques my curiosity. I have too many ebooks, but I had to comment because I enjoyed your post so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Connie,
      I'm so glad you've had more success with your grandkids! Lol.
      I'm so glad to hear that fiction opens that door to History for you. One of my favorite quotes is from Rudyard Kipling, If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten."

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved history class too. Mostly because I already had a love of historical fiction, my mom's friend introduced me to it at an early age. For me history class made sense of the dates I already knew.
    I also agree with you about eggplant, it is a very nice purple but don't ask me to eat it. It does come in other colors which are all very nice but I still won't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^^This girl and I can be friends. ;)
      So glad someone introduced historical fiction to you at a young age, Andrea. Same here. It makes history so much fun. When we read history, we see stories.

      Delete
  5. Early on, my mom helped culture a love of historical fiction in me. It's always been my favorite way to learn about historical events! Because... you learn without even knowing you're learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about historical fiction too. Thanks for stopping by, Tarissa!

      Delete
  6. I must admit I always wondered why we needed to know the dates...lol. However, thanks to historical fiction, I know much more history and it is ever so much more interesting to me. Thanks for sharing and for the giveaway.
    bettimace(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betti,
      Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad historical fiction has made it more interesting for you.

      Delete
  7. Eggplant lasagna is something I've never tried. I do not fix eggplant as a general rule, but will eat it. Historical fiction has always been one of my favorite genre to read. Fictional characters to make history alive. Dawn of Liberty was an awesome book to read with Samuel Adams. I do not need to be in the giveaway since I have a copy of Dawn of Liberty---5 stars for this reader/reviewer. Debbie, thank you for featuring Amber Schamel on your blog post. God bless all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love historical fiction! It's a way to learn history without focusing on facts and dates. I can get drawn into a story so easily, but I have a hard time just memorizing details.
    I am also fascinated by the culture of past eras.
    I have to disagree with you about the eggplant, though. I love eggplant parm.

    My email address is scruggs2 @ Comcast (dot) net.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My eldest son and I are exact opposites. He has a passion for American history (especially the Revolutionary war and the Civil war). But he reads almost all non-fiction. I, on the other hand, can absorb history better in fiction form. I do like eggplant if it is disguised in something else and not by itself. Email-slvie50athotmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete