Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Bull Rider’s Bride (ebook) or a print copy of Heart of a Cowboy by Vickie McDonough

Please welcome my friend Vickie to my blog today. Vickie is giving away a copy of The Bull Rider’s Bride (ebook) or a print copy of Heart of a Cowboy to TWO lucky winners. So be sure to read on down on how to enter and don't forget to leave your email addy and let me know if your a Feedburner follower for an extra entry


What’s not to love about three hunky cowboys? 

When I was a kid, I watched cowboy and western shows like Bonanza, Rawhide, and The Big Valley with my dad. Somewhere along the way, I fell in love with horses, ranches, and cowboys. As a reader, my favorite books are set between 1850-1900 in western America. So I guess it made sense that when I became a writer that I would write about that time period. I never expected to write about any other time period, but sometimes God takes us in directions we don’t plan on going. While most of my novels are historical, I do have several contemporary stories. One of them, The Bull Rider’s Bride, released a few months ago. 

 Buy The Bull Rider's Bride here.

Here’s what The Bull Rider’s Bride is about:   Champion bull rider Dusty Starr is at the top of his game—until a bull throws him and stomps on his leg. He goes home to heal and watch after his grandma until he can rejoin the circuit. While there are no guarantees that bull riding is in his future, his past is alive and well in the form of Gramma's beautiful physical therapist—a woman he never expected to see again.   Physical therapist Lindsey Lang once loved Dusty, but then tragedy struck because of his younger brother's recklessness, and Dusty did something she never thought he'd do. He abandoned her, leaving her to mourn her brother’s death alone. Being assigned to Grandma Starr is hard enough, but with Dusty there, Lindsey's sure her heart won't survive.   Against all expectations, friendship renews, and Dusty dares to hope Lindsey will forgive him. She's the only girl he's ever loved, and he aims to get her back. But friendship is one thing. A second chance at love? That will take more gumption than riding a rank bull—and then some. 

Me again. Sometimes a writer will have a book that sticks with them for a long time, and for one reason or another, it doesn’t get picked up by a publisher. Gabriel’s Atonement, book 1 in my Land Rush Dreams series was one of those. After five years, it finally found a home, and this month, Sarah’s Surrender, book 3 in the series, was released. 

Buy Sarah's Surrender here.

When Sarah Worley rejects Luke McNeil’s marriage proposal to pursue property in the Oklahoma Territory land lottery in 1901, the ranch hand pulls up stakes and goes after her. But he’s the last person she wants to see. The land lottery gives Sarah the chance to realize her dream of independence and a home of her own. But with it comes challenges she never considered. When her dream becomes a nightmare, she must decide whether to stay on her land or give up and return to the life she left. Luke hopes that by winning a claim, he can give Sarah the home she’s always wanted. How can he prove his love and show the stubborn woman that he’s the right man for her? 

The last thing I want to tell you about is a collection of new historical novellas, which I have a story in. My novella, The Hand-Me-Down Husband was one I originally pitched for a collection one of my publishers was pulling together. I submitted two proposals, and my editor chose the other one. The Hand-Me-Down Husband found a home when another publisher pulled together a collection named Heart of a Cowboy.  
 
Buy Heart of a Cowboy here.

Ellen Stewart despises Lance Garrett. If not for him dashing into Isabelle’s life and stealing her heart and filling her head with his dreams, her little sister would still be alive and safe at home. When Ellen receives Lance’s letter requesting help, she rushes to Silver Springs, intent on taking charge of her young niece. A rugged ranch is no place for a motherless baby. But when she realizes the depth of Lance’s despair, she can’t leave him alone. Though everything within her wants to flee back to the big city, something makes her stay. Tessa needs her father, for one—and he needs her. Ellen knows what it’s like to lose all she’d dreamed of. When local church members make a stink about Ellen living at Lance’s ranch, they are forced to marry. Ellen didn’t want a hand-me-down husband, but could their marriage be God’s will for them both?  

The three projects listed above represent about ten months of my life. I love creating towns and families, causing trouble for my characters, and then giving them a happily-ever-after. I suppose I’m a hopeless romantic. 

I thought I’d give y’all a chance to pick a writer’s brain. Do you have any questions about writing or maybe writing historical novels that you’d like to ask? Leave a comment to be entered in a drawing for an ebook copy of The Bull Rider’s Bride or a print copy of Heart of a Cowboy. I’ll be drawing two names. Good luck, and thanks for spending time with me today!

About Vickie:

Bestselling author Vickie McDonough grew up wanting to marry a rancher, but instead married a computer geek who is scared of horses. She now lives out her dreams penning romance stories about ranchers, cowboys, lawmen, and others living in the Old West. Vickie is an award-winning author of more than 40 published books and novellas. Her novels include the fun and feisty Texas Boardinghouse Brides series, and End of the Trail, which was the OWFI 2013 Best Fiction Novel winner. Whispers on the Prairie was a Romantic Times Recommended Inspirational Book for July 2013. Song of the Prairie won the 2015 Inspirational Readers Choice Award. Her latest series, Land Rush Dreams, focuses on the Oklahoma land runs. Vickie has recently stepped into independent publishing.

31 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love historical fiction and I especially enjoy it when it is obvious that the author has truly researched the subject or time period. Vickie, I have two questions. Has any other book or story taken more time to research? Have you ever had to give up on an idea because you couldn't find enough info?
    Thanks for a chance to win.
    Debbie, I follow you.
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions, Connie. The series that took the most research time was my South Carolina Brides. It's the only series I've written that's set east of the Mississippi River, plus the first book was in the 1700s, which is way different from the late 1800s I normally write about. Of course, a trip to Charleston helped a lot with my research. :) I can't think of a story that I ever gave up on because of research. With the Internet, you can find pretty much anything these days.

      Delete
  3. I am a big fan of historical fiction and love learning a piece of history. How do you balance researching and family time? Thank you for the chance. God bless!
    leliamae54(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boys are grown and mostly out of the house now. My husband works long hours so writing really isn't a problem these days. It was harder when I first started writing and my youngest was just entering his teen years. I really admire young mom who manage to write and still take care of their children.

      Delete
  4. I love historical fiction. cheetahthecat1986ATgmailDOTcom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched all those westerns too. I still watch them if I can find them on television. I love the western settings. Great photo of you with the horses.
    karenskrayonsATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love western settings in books too. Although I don't know that I'd like living back then, especially since women had to wear dresses and all the paraphernalia that went with them. But it sure is fun to read about the old times.

      Delete
  6. I enjoy historical fiction. These books sounds like a good read reminding me of younger years when westerns were popular on the TV. I'm thankful that the Inspiration TV station does the reruns of Bonanza. Vickie, Do you travel for your research? Does your family have horses? Debbie, thank you for sharing this great blog post with Vickie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to travel to the places I'm writing about. I used to do more traveling than I do now. I mostly write about fictional towns set in Texas these days. I'm quite familiar with that state since it's next door to mine and I've visited it often. No, my family doesn't have horses. The picture above is of Debbie Lynne and her husband and their horses. I owned several horses when I was younger, and I know for certain the experience I gained with them has helped me write about horses.

      Delete
  7. Do you brainstorm ideas and then decide what you will write about? What process do you use and where do you even begin? It is very mind boggling to me of all the creative juices in authors heads :).

    mbarri7@me.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get a germ of an idea to start. I can't tell you where they come from. Then I will think on that idea and let it percolate. If I need help fleshing out the story, I have several writer friends who are great brainstormers. I usually get a skeleton of my storyline and just start writing. The story usually changes a lot by the time I'm finished from what it was in the beginning.

      Delete
  8. Can't wait to read these adventures!!! Love your writing Vickie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tess. I appreciate you stopping by and being a fan.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. You're just prejudice because you're such an "old" friend. :)

      Delete
  10. How much fact is in historical fiction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really depends on the story and setting. In my Land Rush Dreams series, I tried to be completely accurate with the land rush and land lottery info. i did a series set in North Dakota, near Medora. Theodore Roosevelt owned two ranches in the area and makes a cameo appearance in one of the books. Some books lend themselves to more history than others, but most writers I know try not to over power the reader with history. It needs to blend well with the storyline.

      Delete
  11. I love books about this period of time, with the settlers and pioneers. Thanks for the giveaway! I am a feedburner follower.
    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been toying with doing a wagon train story one day about the early pioneers. I did have a brief glimpse of one in one of my Pioneer Promises books, but the heroine wasn't on the train for long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ladies, if any of you are interested in signing up to receive my newsletter, just click on the wanted sign on the home page of my website: www.vickiemcdonough.com . I don't send out all that many--maybe 10 per year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great interview with Vickie. Vickie is there a place you havent visited yet that you would love to research and write about. Also do you collect any antiques from the time periods that you write about?
    Debbie I follow your blog by e mail.
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Merry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry, There are so many places in the western states that I haven't been to and would love to go. Too many to name. One of my dream vacations is to take a month and tour the western states. As for antiques, I do have some. A sad iron and a claw-foot table are two of them. When I'm not writing, I'm often shopping garage sales, looking for vintage items to put in my booth at an antique mall. Great questions!

      Delete
  15. I still watch those westerns when they are on. Have you done a lot of traveling for research? fishingjan[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,

      I've been blessed to get to do some traveling for research. My husband and I have been to Texas several times, South Carolina, North Dakota, Kansas, and several other states. We generally go when he has vacation, so that's our travel for the year, but that's fine with me.

      Delete
  16. Looks like a Great Book Thanks for the chance to win I Love Westerns :) I am a feedburner follower also iamabho (at) gmail (.) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
    2. You're Welcome Thanks for the giveaway

      Delete
  17. Would love to win! Love those cowboys! jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I don't know what's so appealing about cowboys, but I love stories about them.

      Delete