Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Courageous Brides Collection signed by Jennifer Uhlarik ends July 11th



Please welcome Jennifer to my blog this week. I'm excited to have her here. Be sure to read on down to find out how to enter to win The Courageous Brides Collection by Jennifer.

Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.

I am in my greatroom, sitting on my couch, morning news on the TV. I’m wearing a sports bra, capri-length workout pants, and a sweatshirt. My feet are bare, and I’ve got bed-head. (As soon as I’m done here, I’ll be popping in a workout video and sweating, thus the clothes).

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research?

I can’t really say that this answer relates to one fact, but rather, to one research experience. I just completed my first Civil War era novella, and while I love that period in history, there were so many details that I didn’t know. Little things like whether a soldier would salute a superior officer EVERY TIME they crossed paths while in the field. Or whether a sergeant and a private could share a tent if they were siblings. So I found a Civil War historian, asked if he’d be willing to answer some questions for me, and sent a long list of things I needed to know. It was a fascinating experience to learn the little details that wouldn’t come up in a documentary or would be the proverbial needle in the haystack if reading a history book. And it showed me that people often are more than willing to help authors get the facts straight. It’ll be far easier to ask for help in subsequent projects!

What is something that very few people know about you?

Goodness, I don’t know. Nothing very interesting, I can assure you. Let’s see…I’m in my mid-40’s and still have my wisdom teeth. Or…I learned to write in calligraphy when I was in elementary school, and can still do so today. (No, I do not hire my calligraphy services out. People have asked, and the answer is no. LOL)

What is your favorite material item that you own (examples: ipod, Gone with the Wind book, grandmother’s rocking chair)

To hear my husband speak, it is my laptop computer, and admittedly, I’m on the thing at least 75% of my day. It would probably be one of the main things I’d rush into a burning building to save (after my family and my pets), so it certainly ranks up there pretty high.

If you could live in any time period other than the one we live in, past or future,  when and where would that be and why?

I have a deep love of the Old West, but the only way I would want to live in that time is if I had no concept of modern day and the conveniences we have now. I would choose that time period because of the great opportunities to be had back then. The country was expanding in great strides, with new states and territories opening up. There were fascinating advancements with steam power, leading to new forms of travel. There were exciting discoveries of gold and silver. Yes, there were plenty of dangers and hardships in that era, but it seemed like the country was on the upswing after the dark days of the Civil War, and a person could make a life for himself (or herself) with hard work and ingenuity.

If you were writing a book about your life what would the title be?

Hmmm. Considering my life is pretty boring, I would title the story of my life, “Nothing Interesting Happens Here.” That’s why I write historical fiction—I can find the interesting historical facts and embellish them into a great tale.

What one novel did you read that made you want to be a part of the story?

Just one? Oh, goodness. There have been many, but the first one to come to mind is Louis L’Amour’s novel, Reilly’s Luck. I first read that story in high school and it has lived on in my mind all these years.

What is the biggest secret you ever kept (of course it can’t be a secret anymore)?

The biggest—and hardest—secret I ever kept was that my father was planning a surprise party to celebrate my mother’s accomplishment of earning her doctorate degree in theology at the age of 70. My mom and I are best friends, and my dad actually asked me to plan the party. I knew I couldn’t plan the party AND keep it a surprise for six months. I share almost everything with her.

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?

Hmm. This one is difficult to answer, because I tend to play things fairly safe. Absolutely nothing is coming to mind to fit the term “crazy.”

What do you do for fun?

Lately, I play games on my computer or tablet. I like puzzle games, word games, and bingo. (I told you my life is boring!) I also enjoy crafts, reading, and retail therapy.

GIVEAWAY: To enter to win a signed copy of The Courageous Brides Collection Answer one of these questions. What draws you to this book and makes you want to read it? Answer one of the questions yourself from the above questions I gave Jennifer. Or Why do you like westerns?  And don't forget to leave your email addy so we can contact you if you win! If your a feedburner follower let me know for an extra entry.

Book Blurb:

The Courageous Brides Collection: Compassionate Heroism Attracts Male Suitors to Nine Spirited Women

Ride into adventures alongside nine determined women of yesteryear whose acts of compassion and bravery attract male attention. Marcy helps displaced Indians. Emmy tends wounds at Fort Snelling. Ronnie stows away on a cattle drive. Daisy disguises herself as a Pony Express rider. Elinor becomes an abolitionist. Mae tames wild horses. Hannah gets help for accident victims. Lucy’s curiosity unnerves criminals. Kate nurses soldiers on the battlefield. Will real dangers douse the sparks of love?



The Oregon Trail Romance Collection: Nine Stories of Life on the Trail Into the Western Frontier

Nine romantic adventures take readers along for a ride on the Oregon Trail where daily challenges force travelers to evaluate the things that are most precious to them—including love. Enjoy the trip through a fascinating part of history through the eyes of remarkably strong characters who stop at famous landmarks along the way. Watch as their faith is strengthened and as love is born despite unique circumstances. Discover where the journey ends for each of nine couples.

 



The Convenient Bride Collection: Nine Romances Grow from Marriage Partnerships Formed
Out Of Necessity

Join nine brides of convenience on their adventures in a variety of times and settings gone by—from a ranch in California…to the rugged mountains of Colorado…to a steamship on the Mississippi…to the dangerous excitement of the Oregon Trail…into high society of New York City. No matter the time or place, the convenient brides proceed with what must be done, taking nuptials out of necessity. . .and never dreaming that God might take their feeble attempts to secure their futures and turn them into true love stories for His glory.





More about Jennifer.
Jennifer Uhlarik discovered the western genre as a pre-teen, when she swiped the only “horse” book she found on her older brother’s bookshelf. A new love was born. Across the next ten years, she devoured Louis L’Amour westerns and fell in love with the genre. In college at the University of Tampa, she began penning her own story of the Old West. Armed with a B.A. in writing, she has won five writing competitions and finaled in two other competitions. In addition to writing, she has held jobs as a private business owner, a schoolteacher, a marketing director, and her favorite—a full-time homemaker. Jennifer is active in American Christian Fiction Writers and lifetime member of the Florida Writers Association. She lives near Tampa, Florida, with her husband, teenaged son, and four fur children.
Links:





53 comments:

  1. I am drawn to the book because I love to read and new to me authors are appealing. I have discovered some amazing authors by reading someone new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aimee. This is a great reason to try Barbour's 9-in-1 collections. They give you a chance to try several new authors with one purchase. Hope you'll enjoy my writing. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love historical fiction and the plus is that I love the collections books because you get so many stories by great authors and sometimes you even find new authors to follow.

    wfnren at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Wendy. This is why I love the Barbour Collections. You get a taste of so many authors in one purchase, and it's a safe way to try new authors.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy Westerns because the expansion of our country and the settling of this unknown area was so important to our history. I love Westerns because they remind me of the many, many hours that my Daddy and I spent watching them on TV. Precious, precious memories!!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, what a great way to keep those memories alive--reading in the same genre you and your Daddy shared. I love it.

      Delete
  4. I Follow your blog . I am looking forward to reading The Courageous Brides Collection. Thank you for the opportunity to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll enjoy The Courageous Brides Collection. So many great stories in that volume.

      Delete
  5. Debbie, I also follow your blog.
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scotland 1750's because it was a tough time to live but the country was more beautiful then, then it is now. cheetahthecat1986ATgmailDOTcom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim. What a fun time period to live in! I am sure Scotland in that era was very beautiful and rugged.

      Delete
  7. I'm a feedburner follower. I really, REALLY enjoyed this interview! Although I've heard of the author, I have not read any of her books. I love historical fiction. I also prefer a "boring life"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, so glad to know you enjoyed the interview. It's nice to "meet" you, from one "boring life" person to another! ;)

      Delete
  8. Hi Debbie Lynne, I follow your blog too.
    These Collections are great, bringing back the author's favorite story before a new audience. I think of the pioneers who moved West to explore the unknown lands of promise of black earth and treasures beneath it. Especially think of the women who left things at the side of the road and those coming behind ~ by the time they got to the end of the trail, they are new treasures lightening more than the wagon hearts core. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow by Feedburner receiving e-mails, Google Friend Connect, and Bloglovin' ~ thank you for your posts. Kathleen

      Delete
    2. Hi Kathleen. I have often thought how strange it would've been to see those abandoned treasures along the trail, like you mentioned. I am sure it had to be a haunting sight for those who came after, wondering why those treasures were abandoned. Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts.

      Delete
  9. I am drawn to the horses and mountains on the cover! jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan, I love the covers of all the Barbour collections. They do a great job.

      Delete
  10. I like to read westerns because the wild wild west era just appeals to me. Larger than life heroes, hardy heroines, and HORSES!! rebunting(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, as you may have noticed in my bio above, I fell in love with Westerns because I was looking for a new "horse" book to read, and swiped my brother's Louis L'Amour western from his shelf. It was the first time I'd read a western, and I discovered that not only was the horse great, but the guy ON the horse was fabulous too! ;) LOL

      Delete
  11. I love the novella collections, especially the ones set in the west. I guess I love westerns because it is such an interesting time in history.
    I am a feedburner follower.
    susanmsj at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thank you for stopping by. I have heard for years that "the western genre is dying," but it is a much-loved genre. So many still want to read about the people who settled our nation during that time period, I don't think the genre will ever really die.

      Delete
  12. I am so into the history of this era I can hardly put a book down to do housework. LOL I like to imagine myself in this time period and how I would have handled their situations. I have a great imagination. I receive your newsletter via email. princessdebbie1_2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, thanks for commenting! So great to know I'm not the only one who can disappear into a story and forget all about housework! A well-written tale, especially about the Old West, will derail my best intentions every time.

      Delete
  13. I am so into the history of this era I can hardly put a book down to do housework. LOL I like to imagine myself in this time period and how I would have handled their situations. I have a great imagination. I receive your newsletter via email. princessdebbie1_2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to read it because I love reading stories about that time period. I would have loved to live back then when it was a much simpler life. As far as a question from above, What do you do for fun? I love to go camping with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the big draws for me, too--the simpler ways of life in the Old West.

      Delete
  15. Just the title of it makes me want to read it. I am a feedburner follower.
    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Connie. Glad the title caught your attention!

      Delete
  16. I like westerns and am interested in this book because I love reading about small towns and western ones are at the top of my list because of the camaraderie you find in smaller towns compared to large cities My email is iamabho(at)gmail . com and I AM A Feedburner Follower :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, there does seem to be a lot more support in small towns. I've always lived in fairly large suburbs of big cities, so that's always intrigued me.

      Delete
    2. I've always enjoyed small town books

      Delete
  17. I just read a book that I would love to be a part of the story, The Reason by William Sirls. I subscribe to your blog.
    leliamae54(at) aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy. I'm intrigued. What is Mr. Sirls' book about?

      Delete
  18. LOL about the Retail therapy, Jennifer! Looking forward to reading this collection! I didn't read any Louis L'Amour books until this past decade. I really loved the first book, with Barnabas and enjoyed the others I've read, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retail therapy is one of my favorite things, Carrie--though my husband has been working hard to rehabilitate me. LOL I hope you'll enjoy the collection!

      Delete
  19. I just love learning more about the old west, so I am drawn to books from that time period. I also prefer historical fiction, so this covers both of those likes..lol.
    bettimace at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much history to learn about, Betti, and the West was full of colorful characters and interesting events. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  20. I LOVE both cowboys and horses! I grew up reading my Daddy's Louis L'Amour books. I enjoy reading these wonderful, historical collections.

    psalm103and138 at gmail dot com I'm a feedburner follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caryl, I don't know what it is about cowboys, but they are just plain fun! Glad I'm not the only one who loves them and the horses they ride.

      Delete
  21. I would have the same title for my life "nothing interesting happens". LOL. I adore westerns, can't wait to read this!
    lattebooksAThotmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks so much for stopping by. I have recently had a few longtime friends go a bit "fangirl" on me in the last week, all because they think my life is somehow more glamorous because I'm an author. If they only knew how truly uneventful my life tends to be! That title, "Nothing Interesting Happens Here" is a perfect title for my life. ;) Hope you'll enjoy the story/collection!

      Delete
  22. I love Barbour's novella collections! What not to love? Great authors, new ones to you and old favorites! Thanks! justcommonlyATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have discovered a few great new-to-me authors through Barbour's collections, so I'm with you! Love them.

      Delete
  23. Thanks for this post Debbie Lynne and Jennifer,I enjoyed it! What draws me to this book is the sense of adventure and the different way people lived during the Old West period. Thanks for the giveaway! lynnefeuerstein(at) aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne, I love the sense of adventure of the Old West time period also. It was a very different way of life back then. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to have actually lived then, given what I know now, but it sure is fun writing stories about it and living vicariously through the characters. Thank you for stopping by! Hope you'll enjoy the story and collection.

      Delete
  24. Well, first of all it's Westerns :-) Second of all it's Historical :-) Third of all it's about courageous women braving life :-) What more could I say to explain what draws me to this book :-)

    To answer the question about what I do for fun: I read....like a LOT! I love getting lost in a book story and I love authors who completely draw me into their stories. I also like to travel with my hubby doing day-trips or the occasional 2-3 day long ones. And I love doing things with my family, there's nothing more precious than that in the world :-)

    Thank you for the chance to win a copy of this novella collection! Sounds like a wonderful bunch of authors collaborated to bring us great stories set in the West :-)

    teamob4 (at) gmail (dot) com
    I'm also a feed-burner follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trixi, I love traveling with my husband as well. We just returned from a two-week road trip from Central Florida to the Grand Canyon and back, with lots of great stops to see the sights in between. It was the most fun I've had in a good long while. I'm sure you'll enjoy the collection. The authors are all fantastic and their stories are sure to please.

      Delete
  25. I love Barbour's novella collections and can't wait to read this one! I really enjoy westerns because of the time period and the cowboys!

    I am a blog follower.
    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a woman after my own heart, Britney. I love those cowboys! ;) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  26. I love westerns for their rough tough meaner and they preserver. But the cowboy can be a gentle man as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi apple blossom! Thank you for stopping by! Yes, I think that's one thing that appeals to me about the cowboy heroes. In fiction, they know when to be tough and when to be gentle.

      Delete