Monday, June 6, 2016

World War II Connection with Teresa Morgan




Why the World War II Connection?
 
Inspired by my own reading and out of curiosity about my father’s service in the World War II—which he never discussed—came a case of ‘what if’s’ that can consume a writer’s imagination. Through a marvelous 1100 page tome by Herman Wouk called Winds of War, I began to appreciate the truly global nature of WWII and how it affected people on every continent of the world.

Though I’m southern born, I’ve spent most of my adult life in Richland, Washington, which is one of the towns the government built in 1943 to house the workers of the Manhattan Project. I knew my family and I would be returning there after years away and wanted to do a “coming home” book. Once I decided to use Richland as the setting, using part of the town’s story was something I couldn’t resist. The story’s characters span three generations, so I made Grace’s late grandfather one of those scientists.

Originally, the historical chapters that take place in Grace’s grandmother’s point of view were simply journal entries. But, as I got further into research my respect and admiration for the British people standing alone in the war against the Nazis grew. I often asked myself if I could have done as well under such extreme privation of basic necessity of food, clothing and housing long after the war. I realized Gramma Annie’s story should be given its due. It wasn’t too big a stretch to have her grandmother and grandfather meet in London during the Blitz of 1940. I have to say, though, that the idea of writing those historical chapters was more than a little intimidating. This is my tribute to the British people who endured so much.

At the core, though, the book is still about Grace and Erik and how they persevere, without losing their faith, to reconciliation with their families.

The British “stiff upper lip” attitude, and their refusal to bow down to evil, became something I admire and respect. 

Since I was 12, my father had a job protecting our national interests, at then-secret facilities for producing nuclear material for our military.  Now my husband has made a career doing the same thing, although he has been on the safety side – ensuring those facilities do not have accidents.  And during all that time, we were aware of the people who betrayed our interests by leaking atomic secrets to countries who meant us harm.

So it also was natural that I centered my new novel in a nuclear-related town, my adopted home town, and covered the passions of romance and of protecting our nation, both now and during World War II, when so many atomic secrets were developed, and so many were stolen.

Book Blurb: Grace Ryan works to untangle clues left by her late grandparents—clues involving a WWII conspiracy that could tear her family apart. History professor Grace Ryan returns to her hometown expecting to help her grandmother turn her journals and memories of WWII into memoirs. She arrives to find her grandmother being loaded into an ambulance. When she begs Grace to find the truth about a decades-old crime, whispers the word treason, then slips away forever, Grace is left to separate fact from fiction. Then, an unwelcome inheritance strikes at her already fragile family bond. Though God’s voice seems silent, He sends someone to stand in the gap for her. Erik Petersson, unjustly accused of infidelity, suffered through an unwanted divorce and the loss of his children’s love to his former wife’s bitterness. A physicist on sabbatical, he agrees to help Grace dig through her late grandfather’s scientific papers. As he struggles to win back his children’s love, he and Grace are catapulted into a quagmire of truth and lies that could tear her family apart.
 
Author Bio: Teresa Morgan and her husband, now empty nesters, live in Washington State. Years ago, in the days of carbon paper and eraser shields, she was a secretary to a manager and twenty engineers and scientists. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Theology.
 
Teresa's website is www.teresahmorgan.com. Right now, that is where we are channeling all of her public.

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. The cover is beautiful and the story sounds thrilling!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fascinating - I really would love to read this one! bettimace at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Greater Gift is a great story.
    Blessings,Tina

    ReplyDelete