Monday, November 2, 2015

Vickie McDonough

Please welcome Vickie McDonough to my blog. Vickie is a wonderful friend and great writer. Enjoy the history she shares with you today!


I was born and raised in Oklahoma, and I’ve always been interested in the land runs, one aspect of our state’s unique history. In case you’re not familiar with Oklahoma, much of the state was designated as Indian Territory in the later half of the nineteenth century. Over forty Indian tribes were eventually moved there because white settlers in other states and territories wanted their valuable land.

Once much of the West had been settled, people started looking at Oklahoma as one of their last chances to get free land. They pressured the government to open the Unassigned Lands--land that had been promised to certain tribes, but no Indians had settled on it. The government finally agreed, and President Benjamin Harrison signed the paperwork for what was later called Harrison’s Hoss Race.

On April 22, 1889, over two million acres of land was opened for settlement in a land run. The homesteads were 160 acres and much smaller town lots were also available. Anybody twenty-one and older could ride—women, foreigners, and blacks included. The race began with the blast of cannon and gunfire and a cheer so loud your ears ached. An instant stampeded ensued. In less than a few hours, all of the homesteads had been claimed, leaving many people disillusioned and unhappy because they didn’t get one. In the first book in my series, Gabriel’s Atonement, my hero and heroine ride in the 1889 land run, which led to the settlement of Guthrie, Oklahoma City, and several other towns.

Joline’s Redemption is the second book in my Land Rush Dreams series, and it features the Cherokee Strip land run of 1893. The land rushes were a chance for many folks to start over, and that’s what my heroine hopes to do.

Sarah’s Surrender, the final book in the series, release next year, and it features the Oklahoma land lottery, which proved to be a less chaotic and dangerous way to claim the land.


Thanks for being here today.

Vickie McDonough

P.S. I’d love for you to follow my book news by signing up to receive my newsletter: http://www.vickiemcdonough.com/www.vickiemcdonough.com/Newsletter_Sign-up.html

You can find me online here:

Website: vickiemcdonough.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VickieMcDonough
Twitter: https://twitter.com/vickiemcdonough
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/VickieMcDonough/
Heroes, Heroines, and History blog: http://HHHistory.com 


 Joline has fallen as far as any woman can. She once had lofty dreams of love and luxury, but she made a series of dreadful decisions, leaving her bereft of all hope. Jo has a long list of secrets to keep and has to continually look over her shoulder, as the man she’s running from may show up anywhere, anytime.
 








During the Oklahoma land rush days, a gambler seeking to absolve himself of guilt for accidentally killing a man, attempts to help the dead man’s struggling widow, but she wants nothing to do with him, no matter how badly she needs him.

29 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I can't imagine being one of the people whose horse wasn't fast enough, or who might have stumbled and lost out on their chance to get land. Good chance for friends to become embittered with each other, I would think!
    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net and I follow the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Connie. Some people left their homes and family in hope of a new start, only to be sorely disappointed. But for the ones who were successful, they got the chance to create a legacy. I know some people who are living on land their ancestors won in the land rush.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty! I hope readers enjoy the stories and learning a bit about Oklahoma's history.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Vickie. I love learning more about the history of this great land we live in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Betti. I enjoy weaving real-life history into a fictional story.

      Delete
  4. I love historical fiction and Jolene's Redemption sounds so interesting! Thanks for sharing this post.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love historical fiction too. It's my favorite genre to read.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Vickie. I enjoy historical fiction and stories about settlements and claiming land has always been fascinating. How did out country grew from that? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't understand your question.

      Delete
  6. Wish I would have paid more attention to history in school. I didn't really like it then, but it fascinates me now. I so appreciate learning history through reading great historical fiction like you write. This is, in my opinion, the best way to learn history...through an enjoyable, well researched, historical novel! Keep 'em coming, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I didn't like history or English classes when I was in school, and I hated writing. I was a math kid. It's nothing short of a miracle that I became a writer. God does work in mysterious ways.

      Delete
  7. Hi Vickie, I'm looking forward to reading this series. I have been fascinated with the land runs since I saw the movie Far and Away. I have always wondered how true to history the movie was. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Far and Away. The land runs scenes in the movie were fairly accurate. Do you remember how the heroine's parent sneaked in and got land before the land run? Those people were called Sooners, which is the name of the University of Oklahoma's football team--the OU Sooners.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing this fascinating history, Vickie. I loved Gabriel’s Atonement and can't wait to read Joline’s Redemption!

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Britney. You know Jo had to get her story after being such a little toot in book 1. I couldn't leave her that way forever. :)

      Delete
  9. Oh what a fun story! Looking forward to reading Joline's Redemption. I really enjoy how fictional characters make history live!!! Thanx for the giveaway!
    j4hibdon (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, I do enjoy weaving real-life history into a fictional story. I once had Theodore Roosevelt say hello to a character in one of my books set in North Carolina. Teddy owned two ranched in the area before he was president.

      Delete
  10. This looks like a great read. I enjoy anything concerning history. Thanks for the giveaway.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would really enjoy reading this book. grandaddya (at) comcast (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edward, Quite a few men have written to me to let them know they enjoyed my books. One lady wrote me and said she was dying to read my book but she couldn't get it away from her husband. :)

      Delete
  12. I'm so excited this book is finally out! I loved book 1 and have been waiting to see what Joline is up to. She was something else. I've been to Oklahoma once. It's absolutely gorgeous country. I can just picture the land rush. All those rolling hills and not knowing what's over the next one. Keep up the awesome work on these books!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June, Thanks for your enthusiastic comment. Joline was a stinker, so you know she was bound to get into trouble. Trouble seems to chase her all through her book. I feel like saying "Bwahahahaha!"

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed the first book and am looking forward to the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This will be first book of yours that I'm reading. The Title is very eye-catching. It has me curious on what the story is about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds very interesting. I think this is a fascinating time in history.
    I am a feedburner follower.
    susanmsj at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your book sounds interesting. Would like to read it.
    jwisley(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, Susan! You won. Watch for an email from me.

    ReplyDelete