Monday, September 28, 2015

Love's Every Whisper by Naomi Rawlings ends October 5


Please welcome Naomi Rawlings to my blog. Naomi is giving away a copy of her new book Love's Every Whisper. Read on down to find out how to enter.

You have to go out. You don’t have to come back.

This was the unofficial motto of the U.S Life-Saving Service. The U.S. Life-Saving Service was a precursor to the United States Coast Guard. Back before helicopters and radar and power boats, life-saving teams braved stormy waters with little more than rowboats, storm suits, and life rings.

When I first learned about the United States Life-Saving Service and some of the first life-saving stations established on Lake Superior, I knew I had to write a novel about a life-saver. In Love’s Every Whisper, I created a hero based on the real life Joshua James, a famous life-saver who rescued over 200 people.

Elijah Cummings has sailed on the Atlantic Ocean and seen life-saving teams in action. After his father drowns in a storm, Elijah returns to his hometown on the shores of Lake Superior. Unable to sit by and watch when ships flounder coming into port, Elijah starts a volunteer life-saving team. But the icy conditions and strong storms prove difficult for his volunteers and secondhand equipment. He soon finds himself fighting for the U.S. Life-Saving Service to establish a legitimate station—as well as fighting for the woman he’s loved for fifteen years.

Here’s an excerpt from a scene where the heroine of the story observes a life-saving drill.

Victoria smiled politely, an art she’d perfected thanks to her stutter, and nodded—all while her mind kept returning to the verse from the sermon.

Something flashed in the harbor, a glint of sun on white. Victoria turned her head toward the open church doors, then gasped. The forms were mere shadows on the water, but she didn’t need to stand on the beach to know who was in the middle of the harbor in that little white surfboat.

And were they trying to tip it over?

Ice raced through her body. “No.”

She barely whispered the word, wouldn’t have spoken at all if she’d remembered whom she was standing beside. But all coherent thought rushed from her mind as the men who had been standing in the boat capsized it and dove into the frigid spring water.

“Did you say something, darling?”

Gilbert bent his head toward hers, but she only stared at the overturned boat and the men swimming around it. What was Elijah thinking by doing such a thing? They could drown in the harbor. It had certainly happened before, though usually with children or drunks. She needed to go outside and cry for help. Someone on land could surely reach them in time.

But before she moved, one of the men in the water used a rope of some sort to pull himself onto the belly of the boat, the strong shoulders and determined tilt to his head making Elijah instantly recognizable.

Soon another man joined him, then another and another. Until—

“Victoria? Are you all right.”

She nodded, her eyes glued to the men in the harbor as they dove off the boat simultaneously and heaved at one side.

Where they going to right it? She’d never seen men do that with anything larger than a canoe.

                                         Love’s Every Whisper

Victoria Donnelly simply wants to do something right, at least once in her lifetime. With five years of failed courtships behind her and the calendar inching closer to another birthday, she's determined to redeem herself and snag a proposal from a wealthy childhood acquaintance, Gilbert Sinclair. But returning to Eagle Harbor stirs up long forgotten memories. And worse, old affection for her betrothed's enemy.

Elijah Cummings has loved Victoria for fifteen years. But fishermen's sons don't marry shipping barons' daughters. He knows it. She knows it. The entire town knows it. Resolved to keep his distance from Victoria, Elijah focuses on establishing a much needed life-saving station, risking his own life by rescuing sailors stuck aboard shipwrecks.

He knows how to save drowning sailors, but how is he to save a woman from the biggest mistake of her life—without destroying both their hearts in the process?

 

The first book in the series, 
Love’s Unfading Light, 
is on sale right now for $0.99.



Be sure to answer one or more of Naomi's questions to be entered to win her book. Don't forget to leave your email address. If you are a feedburner follower be sure to let me know for an extra entry.

Have you ever heard of the U.S. Life-Saving Service? What do you think it was like for the men who served in it? Had you been living in the 1800s, would you want a family member to risk his life in order to save others from drowning?
 

ABOUT NAOMI:

A mother of three, Naomi Rawlings spends her days picking up, cleaning, playing and, of course, writing. Her husband pastors a small church in Michigan’s rugged Upper Peninsula, where her family shares its ten wooded acres with black bears, wolves, coyotes, deer and bald eagles. Naomi and her family live only three miles from Lake Superior, where the scenery is beautiful and they average 200 inches of snow per winter. She’s currently enjoying writing a historical novel series set in this unique area of the United States.

For more information about Naomi, please visit her website at naomirawlings.com or find her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/author.naomirawlings. To be informed whenever Naomi has a new book release, consider signing up for her Naomi Rawlings Author Newsletter.

16 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a great book! I'd love to read it!
    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net

    I follow the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of the U.S. Lifesaving Service before. I would admire anyone who joined but I think I would have been selfish and not wanted any of my family to join!
    I am a follower.
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I would have had a hard time letting someone I love join the life-saving service.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like an interesting story I would love to read. I follow your blog by e mail.
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this sounds like a great book that will be hard to put down.
    karenskrayons(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would not have wanted my family member to risk their life to save someone else but I would have been proud of them for doing so. This is similar to our military, police and firemen. jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Joan. Personally, I feel blessed that none of my loved ones have jobs that put them in harm's way. But I'm also very thankful for the people that do volunteer for such jobs, and I'm appreciative for all their families have to go through as well.

      Delete
  6. I am a Google Friend Connect and also a Feedburner Follower and receive notice of your posts via e-mail. I would like Naomi's newest writings! I had not previously known of the U.S. Life-Saving Service. For those who served, their skills would have been trained for safety for themselves and those rescued. In the 1800s, shipwrecks would have been on lookout like the Coast Guard today, as mentioned, saving lives on their watch. Any line of service duty could be a risk, entered by a family member who had a calling selected by choice and stepping out in awareness of need. Please enter me in contest drawing. Historical fiction is my very favorite genre. A new topic, for sure! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lane. When I first read about some of the historical life saving stations near where I live, I knew I had to write a novel about life-savers. It's a really fascinating topic. And yes, what used to be a life-saving station is now Coast Guard station in Marquette, Michigan. The one in Eagle Harbor eventually closed as equipment became more sophisticated. Now the Coast Guard can cover Eagle Harbor from a station a hundred miles away. That's what ended up happening to the life-saving service, by the way. It merged with another historic government agency, one that dealt with borders and tariffs, and became the U.S. Coast Guard in 1913.

      Delete
  7. What an exciting story line, would love to read 'Life's Every Whisper'!! Enjoyed this interesting post - I'd never heard of the U.S. Life-Saving Service, imagine it must have been even more dangerous in the 1800's than it would be today - without the modern aids we have, & wouldn't have wanted a male in my family to be part of such a dangerous occupation, however, our policemen & firemen risk their lives every day also. All are high-risk occupations to which I feel a person must feel a calling.

    Thanks for the giveaway opportunity!!

    I am a feedburner follower.

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel too, Bonnie! I'm sure working for the Coast Guard is difficult today, but it must have been much more dangerous before helicopters, satellites, thermal imaging, and the like.

      Delete
  8. I have never heard of the US lifesaving Service... very interesting! I guess someone has to do that sort of job, but I'm not sure what I would think of a loved one volunteering.

    I follow via feedburner.

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I wrote this novel, Patty. Someone had to do the job, but it must have been terribly hard on the families of the life-savers. There are some accounts of entire life-saving crews being lost while trying to perform a rescue.

      Delete
  9. No I haven't heard of them. I'd have mixed emotions about a family member serving, a part of me would be proud but then on the flip side I'd be concerned for them. This is a new author to me and the book sounds like a great read.
    Karenskrayons(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoy the book, Karen. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Naomi , I just finished your Love's Fading Light and really loved it . I would love to have the chance to win your lasted book Love's Every Whisper .
    Thanks for the chance .
    lizd225(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete