Monday, November 3, 2014

Sadie's Gift by Niki Turner ends November 6



Please welcome Niki Turner to my blog. Niki and several other talented authors have joined together to bring you Christmas novellas. Niki is giving away a copy of her Christmas novella, Sadie's Gift. To be entered to win her novella, answer one of these questions: Have you ever served someone in their time of need and been blessed by it? How? Have you ever needed someone to help you but you were too proud to admit it? Have you ever been blessed by someone's service to you? How? And don't forget to leave your email addy and let me know if you are a feedburner follower for an extra chance to win.

I do it myself…

If you’ve ever been around a toddler, you know they go through a dangerously independent stage when they insist on doing everything themselves (teenagers do the same, but it’s not as adorable).

For some of us, in some areas, we never outgrow that stage where it’s hard (or almost impossible) to ask for and receive help. We might think we’re sparing other people our troubles, protecting loved ones from extra work, or being “strong in faith” by keeping our struggles to ourselves. What it really boils down to, however, is pride. (You can say amen, or “oh, me.”)

Sadie Hubbard has had to fend for herself for a long time. Her parents died in the Spanish influenza epidemic of 1918 while she was in nursing school. Now, three years later, she’s a nurse in a preventorium in Colorado Springs, where several dozen youngsters look to her for care and comfort. Sadie has taken it upon herself to provide Christmas gifts for the children, no matter the personal cost to her.

Nathan Wells has lost his prosperity to a recession and his younger brother’s life to the ongoing epidemic of tuberculosis. All Nathan wants to do is withdraw from society to lick his wounds and feel sorry for himself. His chance encounter with the selfless Sadie changes his perspective.

In “Sadie’s Gift,” Nathan seems to be the character with the greatest heart trouble… he’s bitter, angry, and doubting the very existence of God. But Sadie’s insistence on self-reliance, to her own detriment, is also a problem.

How many of us have worn ourselves out trying to accomplish a task that could have been easily completed if we’d been humble enough to ask for help? How many times have we refused help from friends and neighbors for fleshly reasons (pride, humiliation, self-righteousness, etc.) when, in truth, they would have been blessed by helping us?

Self-reliance is an honored American virtue. Out here in the West it’s practically a life tenet for anyone who counts him/herself an American. There’s no question that being independent and pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps (if you’ve ever worn a pair of cowboy boots and tried that, it’s a lot harder than you might think) is worthy of honor, but there’s also a point where we need to place trust in others, and where we need to be humble enough to ask for help.

I’ve had to ask for help a lot lately… and it’s not as painful as I imagined. In fact, my friends and loved ones have been more than willing to come to my aid, just as much as I am willing to come to theirs.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help… serving you in your time of need might be someone else’s blessing from heaven!


More about Niki: 

Niki Turner is a novelist, journalist, blogger, and the production manager for the Rio Blanco Herald Times weekly newspaper. Her first completed manuscript earned second place in the Touched By Love 2009 contemporary category romance contest. She writes for local newspapers, and won second place for best agriculture story at the 2013 Colorado Press Association annual convention. She also blogs at www.nikiturner.net and is a co-blogger at www.inkwellinspirations.com. Niki is the Colorado Area Coordinator for American Christian Fiction Writers and is involved in establishing an ACFW chapter on Colorado's Western Slope, where she resides. She published “Sadie’s Gift” as one of the Christmas Traditions novella collection. Her next project, “Santiago Sol,” will be published by Pelican Book Ventures, LLC, as part of the Passport to Romance novella collection.

Connect with Niki on Facebook, or on Twitter


PROLOGUE for Sadie's Gift: "Colorado Springs, 1921 — Nurse Sadie Hubbard wants to give the children at the preventorium a wonderful Christmas. Heartbroken Nathan Wells hopes to return to Chicago and mourn his brother's death alone. When an accident brings them together, their plans for the holiday collide. Will they find a way to work together in the spirit of Christmas?"

Pinterest board for Sadie's Gifts: http://www.pinterest.com/niki_turner/sadies-gift-christmas-traditions-novella-collectio/

14 comments:

  1. Sadie's Gift is a heartwarming story. . .read and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed Sadie's Gift.
    Blessings,Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki
    Thank you so much for writing this story God bless you
    I have been too self reliant I have not asked for help but recently I realized it is ok to ask for help
    and it has blessed people to help
    God bless u
    Chris Granville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Chris! It's a hard lesson to learn, but such a valuable one!

      Delete
  4. I have had the pleasure of being in the right place at the right time for knowing that someone needed a note of encouragement, and for a while that was a ministry for me. I've also been blessed to provide meals or a ride to people in need of the help. I've been on the receiving end of more blessings than I can count, but the biggest was probably when my friend rented out her brand new apartment to my family and I while our new home was being built.
    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net
    I follow by feedburner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful testimony, Connie! Thank you for sharing! I love when you find yourself in those divine appointments!

      Delete
  5. I was cured of the "doing it myself" problem when I was in graduate school and had reached the end of my rope. I had to rely on a team of students to help me collect data for my dissertation. One of them has become a lifelong friend! I tried blogging on my own and the Lord quickly convicted me that I needed help. Writing is a solitary activity in producing the manuscripts but we sure do need each other to get that story baby out into the world! Loved your novella, Niki, and am enjoying working with you in the Christmas Traditions series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, Carrie, and thank you! I agree, there's a lot of solitary time in writing where you HAVE to do it yourself, but it's critical to find those helpers and beta readers and brainstormers and promoters and so on!

      Delete
    2. They've made such a difference to me, Niki. I don't feel alone and I've been SO blessed and encouraged by all the lovely people who do this. And having done so myself, I know how much time and work it takes, and what effort they are doing on my behalf and I'm humbled by the encouragement!

      Delete
  6. After my Uncle passed away, my husband and I helped our Aunt a lot. She lived by herself and had some memory loss. We checked on her daily and helped her whenever we could. She passed away last month and we miss her a lot.
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry - forgot to mention that I am a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful, heartwarming story - I loved "Sadie's Gift"!! Thank you, Niki - looking forward to reading more of your work.

    There have been times when I hesitated to ask for help - I have lived alone for 25 years and gotten used to being in control and doing things for myself. However, 2 bouts with cancer, mobility issues, advancing age and serious family health issues and problems have made me realize there are some things I can NOT do - no matter how badly I may want to. Also, the joy I've received from giving to, doing things for and encouraging - others, has blessed me greatly. I need to allow others to have those blessings in return. The prayers of my Christian online friends have been a tremendous blessing - during my health issues!!

    Shared post!!

    ReplyDelete