Monday, September 29, 2014

Full Circle and 2 copies of Moonlight Promise by Laurie Alice Eakes ends October 6th

Please welcome Laurie Alice Eakes to my blog this week. Laurie Alice is giving away 2 ecopies of her new novella, Moonlight Promise, so be sure to read through her post to find out how to be entered. Don't forget to let me know if you are a feedburner follower to double your chances of winning!

Full Circle

Right off the top, I’m telling you all that I am giving away two copies of “Moonlight Promise”. Since this is an eBook novella, the contest is not limited to US residents only. Read to the end to find out how.

This month, I am celebrating the release of my latest novella “Moonlight Promise” being released as a solo eBook. In April, “Moonlight Promise” was released in paperback and eBook by Baker/Revell under the title Sincerely Yours, along with novellas by three other authors. That makes this my first book to release as an eBook all on its own—sort of.

Why sort of? Because fifteen years ago, having the summer off from grad school, I finished a novel I had been doodling around with for a while. A friend of mine, knowing the contents of this novel, suggested I do something interesting with this manuscript—she suggested I send it to an eBook publisher who was looking for exactly the type of story I’d written.

So I did.

Within a few days of sending the electronic version of the book to the editor, I got the response that they would like to publish it. Excitement.

Not really. Within hours of learning what should have been happy news, I was told that no one who had written a book worth publishing published with electronic publishers. EBooks were substandard and the authors of them not as talented as those who had written traditionally published books.

Ignoring these naysayers, I went ahead and contracted with this publisher. My reviews were rather good. My sales were not. Readers were expensive and few people had adopted the model. And no one in writing circles accepted epublished authors as legitimate. So I pulled the book and finished up my graduate work, thesis, etc.

And then I got to serious writing work. I plunged into learning the market, the craft, how to fix all the earlier errors I’d made. I got an agent and, in two years, got a traditional contract and then twenty more. I won some awards and was nominated for others. I was a legitimate author who, by the time it happened, longed for one of my books to come out in eBook form.

In 2011, my first traditionally published book released in eBook format along with the paperback version. As of now, I think about 30-40% of my sales of Lady in the Mist are eBook sales. As of now, all my books are available on Kindle and most on the Nook.

A decade and a half after I was told that anything published electronically wasn’t worth being read, I celebrate the opportunity for readers to buy one of my novellas untethered from its collection.

If you want to win a copy of “Moonlight Promise”, tell me why you read this post. If you did it just to have a chance to win a copy, go ahead and say so. Follow me on Twitter @LaurieAEakes or Facebook under Laurie Alice Eakes, and send me a tweet or FB message and tell me you read the post, and you get an extra chance. Not on FB or Twitter? Just tell me one thing you learned in this post for an extra chance.

About “Moonlight Promise”



In Moonlight Promise, Laurie Alice Eakes takes readers up the Hudson River on a steamboat bound for the new Eerie Canal as a highborn English lady flees false accusations and runs smack into love. 





 
About Laurie Alice Eakes:

“Eakes has a charming way of making her novels come to life without being over the top,” writes Romantic times of bestselling, award-winning author Laurie Alice Eakes. Since she lay in bed as a child telling herself stories, she has fulfilled her dream of becoming a published author, with a degree in English and French from Asbury University and a master’s degree in writing fiction from Seton Hill University contributing to her career path. Now she has nearly two dozen books in print.

After enough moves in the past five years to make U-Haul’s stock rise, she now lives in Houston, Texas, where she and her husband are newly minted church leaders. Although they haven’t been blessed with children—yet--they have sundry lovable dogs and cats. If the carpet is relatively free of animal fur, then she is either frustrated with the current manuscript, or brainstorming another, the only two times she genuinely enjoys housekeeping.



11 comments:

  1. I read this post when I first got the email from this blog stating Laurie Alice Eakes was a guest.

    I own many of her books, both in paperback and ebook format, would love a chance to win.

    Thanks for the giveaway
    Janella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie Alice, I really enjoyed your blog post--especially the inclusion of your first experience with eBook publishing. The reason I came to Debbie's blog to read your post is because I've been following your line editor saga on Facebook and thought I'd stop by to say "hi" and tell you I do remember your name :) I am a follower of Debbie's blog, so I usually do read the posts here. With all that said, however, I'd be happy to win a copy of Moonlight Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy reading Laurie Alice's books, they are always a blessing. It's so interesting to see how e-books have become so accepted and a part of the average readers' bookshelf. Thanks for the giveaway!
    worthy2bpraised at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. KayM, the line editor saga has been something. My dear agent, Natasha Kern, talked to my editor, who, the sweetheart, has taken them on herself. I'm not afraid of working hard to make my manuscript better. I do object to someone trying to rewrite my manuscript and inserting spiritual and historical errors. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies, thank you for stopping by. I'm rather glad that first writing attempt wasn't broadly spread, though I guess it sold well for an Ebook at the time. And it did get 4 stars from Romantic times. It's just not something to which I want my name attached now. The Lord knew what he was doing, of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our church library readers love Laurie's books. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to win her book.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for what you do!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading christian fiction books and Laurie Alice is a new author to me. I follow your blog by feedburner.
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I follow you on fb I happened to find this article It sounded interesting so I commented
    God bless you
    ChrisG
    granvilleATfrontiernetDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the opportunity to read this wonderful book ;)

    I'm a follower too!

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie please put my name in for a chance to win this book. Love the cover. And, I follow by Feedburner. Thanks, Maxie > mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete