Monday, March 24, 2014

The Quaker and the Rebel by Mary Ellis Ends March 31st



Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.What a fun question! I am sitting in my office wearing an Ohio State University hoodie, yoga pants, and slippers. My hair is a mess and no makeup! Thank goodness I never Skype!

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research? That people and animals cannot be predicted. I have been chased by horses, goats, chickens, and sheep while researching the Amish.

What is something that very few people know about you? I was a volunteer snake handler at the Cleveland Zoo for two summers.

What is your favorite material item that you own (examples: ipod, Gone with the Wind book, grandmother’s rocking chair)An illustrated book of Bible stories given to me as a child by my grandmother.

If you could live in any time period other than the one we live in, past or future,  when and where would that be and why?
I would have loved to live in Colonial Williamsburg during the early days of our nation. Life seemed so infinitely romantic back then.

If you were writing a book about your life what would the title be?
The Long and Winding Road by Mary Ellis

What one novel did you read that made you want to be a part of the story?
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I yearned for sisters since I had none.

What is the biggest secret you ever kept (of course it can’t be a secret anymore)?I didn’t tell my husband of 40 years the train story (below) until we were married 20 years. Up until that point he always thought of me as a “good” girl.

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?When I was in junior high my friend and I hopped a freight train and rode it for several miles. We had to jump off and roll down an embankment just before the train crossed a bridge. It was a very dangerous thing to do! We were spotted (and arrested!) by Conrail detectives. Our parents had to appear with us in juvenile court. I believe Mom grounded me until I left for college.




What Happens When an Underground Railroad Conductor
Falls in Love with a Man Loyal to the Confederacy?
  
Emily Harrison’s life has turned upside down. At the beginning of the Civil War, she bravely attempts to continue her parents’ work in the Underground Railroad until their Ohio farm is sold in foreclosure. Now alone and without a home, she accepts a position as a governess with a doctor’s family in slave-holding Virginia. Though it’s dangerous, she decides to continue her rescue efforts from there.

Alexander Hunt, the doctor’s handsome nephew, does not deny a growing attraction to his uncle’s newest employee. But he cannot take time to pursue Emily, for Alexander isn’t what he seems—rich, spoiled, and indolent. He has a secret identity. He is the elusive Gray Wraith, a fearless man who fights the war from the shadows, stealing Union supplies and diverting them to the Southern cause.

The path before Alexander and Emily is complicated. The war brings betrayal, entrapment, and danger. Amid their growing feelings for each other, can they trust God with the challenges they face to provide them with a bright future?

Mary Ellis is the bestselling author of many books, including A Widow's Hope and A Little Bit of Charm. She is an active member of the local historical society and Civil War Roundtable, where she served as secretary for several years. She has enjoyed a lifelong passion for American history.

ISBN 978-0-7369-5050-3
Category: Fiction—Romance

More About Mary:

Mary Ellis has written twelve bestselling novels set in the Amish community. Before "retiring" to write full-time, Mary taught school and worked as a sales rep for Hershey Chocolate. Living in Harmony, book one of her last series won the 2012 Lime Award for Excellence in Amish Fiction. Love Comes to Paradise won the 2013 Lime Award. She is currently working on a three-book series of historical romances set during the Civil War for Harvest House Publishers. The Quaker and the Rebel released in January. She can be found on the web at:



69 comments:

  1. Nice interview and Mary's book sounds like it would be great. Thank you for the chance to win it.

    wfnren(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like a great one. I would love to win a copy.
    susanmsj at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a feedburner follower.

      Delete
    2. Good luck and thanks for being a FB follower.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for inviting me to your lovely blog, Debbie Lynne. Good luck in the drawing to all your readers! best regards,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sitting at dining room table.. Wearing blue Jeans and t-shirt and my tennis shoes...
    Cheryl Callan
    Callan210@MSN.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) Thanks for coming by Cheryl! Good luck. Love my blue jeans!

      Delete
  5. great interview.I have read this book that I reserved thru the Library. It was much different than Mary's other books but her writing style has "locked me in" and I am a true fan of her God given talent. I would've answered many of the questions the same as Mary, which I find kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Sherri. That is kind of funny. :o)

      Delete
  6. I love interviews like this. Mary it sounds like you had an adventurous spirit as a child. I hope you haven't lost that spirit. This book sounds wonderful. Thank you for the opportunity to win.
    eppersonkatrina(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Mary's books! I consider Mary "somewhat" of a neighbor since we both experience the ups & downs of Ohio weather! I look forward to savoring this book on vacation in May. lldietz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, some what of a neighbor. Good luck!

      Delete
  8. I Follow your blog .The Quaker and the Rebel sounds wonderful. Thank you for the opportunity to win.I enjoy reading your books.augustlily06(at)aim(dot)com.Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and for being a follower, Emma.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting! :D LOL! I LOVE the questions and the answers!!! :D Especially the craziest thing! If you haven't put that in a book already you should! :D This is one of the best author interviews I've read in a while!

    Blessings, Amada (pronounced: a.m.a.th.a) Chavez

    amada_chavez(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    I'm a follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you enjoyed Mary's answers. Good luck!

      Delete
  10. Wow, Mary, that was very dangerous. I can't imagine why in the world you and your friend decided to do that. Love your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Probably because they could. My brother and his friend did the same thing. I was a chicken.

      Delete
  11. I am a follower!

    missionwife AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a subscriber!

    missionwife AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I cannot wait to read this book! Totally new story plot for me!

    missionwife AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and for being a follower!

      Delete
  14. An interesting post that I enjoyed reading.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  15. enjoyed reading your interview with Mary Ellis. Would like to be included in the drawing for her book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please be sure to leave me your email so I can contact you should you win. Good luck!

      Delete
  16. WOW I am pretty daring but to jump off a train I will pass. I love your books Mary. Love to read this one sounds very interesting. I love the title of the book you would have of your life story. psst.... I won't tell hubby. LOL
    Blessings
    Diana
    joeym11@frontier.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting interview! Can just picture you doing the train episode!! Shelia Hall sheliarha64@yahoo.com I'm a follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelia. Good luck! And thanks for being a fb follower.

      Delete
  18. I enjoyed reading this interview. I would have never been that adventurous! I would love to win this book!! Donna d[dot]brookmyer[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me either. I would have been afraid of getting caught! Good luck!

      Delete
  19. I have this book in my Amazon cart . . . . just waiting for my next book order. So I could read it a lot faster if I won a copy! I love the train story. My husband used to hop them as a boy. What his mom does not know won't hurt her, right???rmaney@firstarpchurch.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to check the email addy and make sure this wasn't my sister-in-law since my brother used to do the same thing. LOL> Good luck!

      Delete
  20. I had to see what was most dangerous crazy thing you have done and am quite surprised at your answer. I am sure we all have done someing when younger we are not too proud of, glad you were OK and lived to tell the story. I am anxious to read this book and happy to be in drawing.
    thanks for sharing
    Paula O(kyflo130@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The blurb about getting arrested really got my attention! Youth does have its adventure. Enjoyed the post & would love to win...thanks for the opportunity...Linda
    dmcfarl101(at)juno(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You sound like a mischievous teenager with friends hopping a freight train lol. I am glad you all weren't hurt when you rolled down that embankment! I am glad you write books now and stay out of trouble lol. I would love to win your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering how they got caught. Do they have these police stationed all over or was it luck of the draw? LOL> Good luck!

      Delete
  23. forgot my email: tsheroke(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am a Follower and a Subscriber to FB and Emails. I would love to win Mary Ellis' book. I read Jennifer Chiaverini's Quilt series and one is about the underground RR- so very interesting and I would enjoy your book as well. Thanks for the contest. sm

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am a follower and subscriber. I would love to read this book. Thanks for the giveaway.
    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  26. Would love a chance to win this book. It is on my wish list to read. Thank you for this chance lisastifler(at) yahoo(dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Maybe you'll be able to mark it off your TBR pile. :o)

      Delete
  27. Would love a chance to win this book. It is on my wish list to read. Thank you for this chance lisastifler(at) yahoo(dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. Hope you'll be able to mark it off your wish list.

      Delete
  28. a great posting/interview.

    thanks for the chance to read this wonderful novel.
    I'm a follower, too :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mary Ellis I so love your books! I am such a book junkie! Would be so blessed to win your book!
    Keep up the wonderful writing!
    CherylB1987 AT Hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just found your blog and follow by e-mail. I love Amish books!
    Susan in NC
    susanlulu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan in NC! I live in SC. So glad you found my blog. Good luck! And thanks for following it.

      Delete
  31. So interesting interview! I dare to say that I love Mary´s wit and spirit, and the book sounds wonderful. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun having her on. Thanks for coming by and good luck.

      Delete
  32. I've seen this title around facebook and on our fiction addiction fix blog for some time now, and have been curious what its about. Nice interview!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, Mary!

    This was fun! Love learning new things about my author-friends. And the book sounds great too. I have no idea how you're going to resolve such irreconcilable differences! Can't wait to read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sharyn. Thanks for coming by. Good luck!

      Delete
  34. Great interview. I love reading Mary's books and this one looks great too!
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Merry

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am a feedburner follower
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Merry

    ReplyDelete
  36. Would love to be able to read this book.
    I am a follower and a subscriber
    ckasper49(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have to say this first. I LOVE Mary's picture. Doesn't she just look like a fun person to be around? Okay now that I am done stating that. This book looks really sweet. I can so relate to wanting to be a part of Little Women too! I desperately wanted a sister or three. :)

    Thank you for the chance. I would love to read Mary's book.

    KellysShining(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete