Monday, March 10, 2014

Speaking Jitters! Marriage by Arrangement by Anne Greene Ends 3/17

                                                            

                                                              
 Please welcome Anne Greene to my blog this week. Anne is giving away a copy of her book Marriage by Arrangement. Leave a comment and your email addy to be entered and don't forget to let me know if you are a feedburner follower so you get an extra entry!


                                                            SPEAKING JITTERS

Anne Greene here.                           
A few weeks ago I committed to speaking to a book club in Texas. But I faced a problem.

I live just north of Dallas and traffic is horrendous. I have very little sense of direction, but I do have my trusty GPS. So arriving at my destination thirty miles away through heavy traffic was not the problem.

Normally at a book club the members all buy my book and then we discuss the book. This club operated differently. They wanted a review of my book—by myself, the author. Well, that sounded like loads of fun. I could give myself a five star review. So that was not the problem.

I love to speak to book clubs, but this club boasted almost one hundred members. I’d never spoken for one hour to such a large group.

The problem is that I’m a total introvert. I love speaking to book clubs because they are usually small, intimate groups of between five and twelve people. I can do that.

So, a pall of dread descended over me. The horror of speaking to a large group grew and magnified inside my mind. I imagined I would look out over the group and freeze. I would forget everything I had to say. My soft voice would not carry to the audience. Since this was a secular group, there might be a heckler—a person who didn’t like inspirational writers.

And so my dread grew.

Since I’ve become a writer, the Lord has taken me far out of my comfort zone so many times I should be accustomed to the nerves and tension. But I’m not.

Just a few days before my scheduled talk, I was in a mental and emotional frenzy.
As I was thinking on my problem, God brought to my mind another time He’d forced me out of my comfort zone. During that experience He’d given me a precious verse. Deuteronomy 31:8 – The Lord Himself goes before you, and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

And God had gone before me, and He had smoothed the way. The moment the Lord brought that verse back to my mind, every shed of fear left me. I looked back at what He had done and I enjoyed complete peace. The peace lasted until the speech, during the speech, and after the speech.

The talk was a success, and I actually enjoyed myself in front of that audience.

So, once again, God taught me that I don’t need to slip outside my comfort zone alone. He goes before me, and He is always with me. Even in something as insignificant as speaking to a group. Isn’t God wonderful? Claiming His promises leads to peace and joy.


More about Anne:
ANNE GREENE delights in writing about wounded heroes and gutsy heroines. Her second novel, a Scottish historical, Masquerade Marriage, won three prestigious book awards. The sequel Marriage By Arrangement released November, 2013.  A Texas Christmas Mystery also won awards. Anne’s highest hope is that her stories transport the reader to awesome new worlds and touch hearts to seek a deeper spiritual relationship with the Lord Jesus. Anne makes her home in McKinney, Texas. Tim LaHaye led her to the Lord when she was twenty-one and Chuck Swindoll is her Pastor. Anne loves to talk with her readers. View Anne’s books, travel pictures and art work at http://www.AnneGreeneAuthor.com. Buy Anne’s books at http://www.PelicanBookGroup.com. Or at http://www.Amazon.com. Visit http://www.anneswritingupdates.blogspot.com for information on writing an award-winning novel. Talk with Anne on twitter at @TheAnneGreene. Visit Anne’s Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/AnneWGreeneAuthor.
 
                                            A MARRIAGE COVENANT

                        Why does a handsome, powerful noble of the highest rank in England stoop to marry a mere Lady of Lowland Scotland?

                                            A GREAT SECRET
                        Are the whispered stories about him true? With his shadowy past and strange behavior what awful secret does he hide? Each change of clothes transforms him into a different man.
                                                                       
                                           AN IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE
                        Can Lady Cailin keep her vow to make her marriage happy and successful, unlike that of her parents, or to save her unborn child, must she arrange for the Duke’s accidental death?
                       


31 comments:

  1. Debbie Lynn, thank you so much for inviting me to visit with your readers on your lovely blog. I can't wait to begin talking with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gets easier every time you talk to a group! When it's things I'm 'in the know' about - I just love to blab for the audience!

    Would love to read your book!

    missionwife@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the chance to win...I'd love to read your book. Looks like a wonderful book! truckredford(at)Gmail(dot)Com I'm a feed burner subscription by email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for being a fb follower.

      Delete
  4. I am a feed burner follower. I would love to win and review.
    jrs362 at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Luck! and thanks for stopping by and being a fb follower

      Delete
  5. I'm in the middle of reading this book right now, but I would love to win a copy for my aunt! I passed the first book in the series on to her and she loved it...

    I think if I remember right there is to be one more book in this series? When can we look forward to it releasing?

    I follow via feedburner

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying Anne's book! Thanks for being a follower.

      Delete
  6. Anne, Thank you for the comment on how God goes before us. I to am shy and try to stay out of my perceived spotlight. I do not like to go out of my comfort zone. This is a longstanding problem for me so I deeply appreciate the reminder.
    Your book looks terrific and would love to read.
    Debbie, I love your blog and I follow by speedburner
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, Thank you so much, Jackie! That made my day!

      Delete
  7. I would also been uncomfortable speaking in front of so many but it is God who leads us.

    Thanks for the giveaway. The book sounds interesting.

    Janella
    arieljo12 (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Luck, Janella. Thank you for coming by.

      Delete
  8. I am a FEEDBURNER follower.
    I would love to win and read Marriage by Arrangement. sm, CA wileygreen1(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to read MARRIAGE BY ARRANGEMENT. Gorgeous cover.

    Follow by feedburner:

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and for following my blog! Good luck!

      Delete
  10. Melody, I'm so glad you enjoy speaking in front of a group. Perhaps someday, after many, many speaking engagements, so will I. It's good to visit with you here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Eliza, good to see you here. I've visited with you before and it's always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi squires,J. Oh, you said magic words about giving a review. Writers love readers like you. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Patty, You are a generous person to share your books. Writers love people like you. And I'm so happy you loved Masquerade Marriage. Yes, Fiona's story, the last book in the trilogy is yet to be written. I must get busy with it soon because so many fans are asking for it. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jackie, I'm so glad my article was helpful. I know God helps me all the time, but in places where my nerves get really strung out, He is there going before me, smoothing the way, and giving me the strength. I am so thankful God is Who He is. Isn't He wonderful? What would we do without Him?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janella, Isn't it wonderful that God puts us exactly where we need to be to grow in grace and knowledge of Him? It's good to talk with you here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi sm, Great to see you here. I love visiting with Debbie Lynn's followers on her lovely blog. Debbie's a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, I'm so glad you love the cover. I was really happy with it as well. An author never knows what her cover will look like until she sees it. She gives the publisher input on what she'd like, but the finished cover is rarely anything like what the author mentioned. This one was surprise as well, but a good one. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am intrigued by this book abs the cover is beautiful.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for the chance to read this fabulous novel...I'm a follower & email subscriber, too :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Karen and Melanie, I'm so glad to meet with you here. It's good to hear that my book sounds interesting to you. I hope one of you will win it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Debbie Lynn, I so appreciate your having me visit with your readers. It's been a pleasure. Thank you so much for this opportunity!

    ReplyDelete