Monday, January 27, 2014

Call of the Prairie by Vickie McDonough ends February 3rd

Please welcome friend and fellow writer, Vickie McDonough to my blog this week. To be entered in the drawing BEFORE you read the post take a guess on what you think they have in common, then after reading it leave us a comment and tell us what your guess had been. Don't forget to leave an email addy and let me know if you are a feedburner follower to get an extra entry! Good luck!

Ø  Charleston, South Carolina
Ø  Medora, North Dakota
Ø  Waco & Fredericksburg, Texas

What do those cities have in common? They are places I’d most likely never have gotten to visit if I hadn’t become a writer.

One of the best perks of being a writer is that you get to go on research trips—if you can afford to. I’ve been blessed to go on several research trips in the areas where I’ve set a book or series. And on those trips, I’ve discover fascinating details I never would have just researching the area online or in books.

I grew up in Oklahoma, a state is less than 110 years old, so you can imagine how I was enamored with the 300 year-old-buildings and incredible plantations of South Carolina. The only thing in Oklahoma that is 300 years old is the land. Charleston’s historic homes were magnificent, as were the old buildings and beautiful churches. I learned so much about my country there. The series I set in the    
   Charleston area is being released by Barbour   
   next month in a book call South Carolina Brides.


A French marquis is the reason I ended up in Medora, North Dakota. I was researching the state because I wanted to set a trilogy there, and I was fascinated with the Marquis De More’s story. He was a 19th century visionary who had a dream of shipping butchered beef back east in refrigerated rail cars instead of live cattle. During the 1880s, he built a meat-processing plant and even started a small town, which he named after his wife, Medora. Although his dreams were dashed by two of the worst winters in history, which killed 80% of the area’s cattle, the town lives on.  The twenty-six-room chateau where the Marquis and his family lived still stands, and we had the privilege of touring it. The Bad Lands are beautiful, and I’d love to go back one day.
My husband and I had a fun time in Waco, visiting the Texas Ranger museum, the suspension bridge which was built by the designer of the Brooklyn bridge and was a pre-cursor to it, and doing research at the fabulous library at Baylor University.
Writing tends to be a solitary job, where you have your face in the computer all day, but it does have its perks.

MORE ABOUT VICKIE:
Vickie McDonough grew up wanting to marry a rancher, but instead, she married a computer geek who is scared of horses. She now lives out her dreams in her fictional stories about ranchers, cowboys, lawmen and others living in the West during the 1800s. Vickie is the award-winning author of 29 published books and novellas. Her books include the fun and feisty Texas Boardinghouse Brides series, and End of the Trail, which was the OWFI 2013 Best Fiction Novel winner. Whispers on the Prairie, which released last July, was chosen by Romantic Times as one of their Recommended Inspirational Books for July.

Vickie is a wife of thirty-eight years, mother of four grown sons, one daughter-in-law, and grandma to a feisty seven-year-old girl. When she’s not writing, Vickie enjoys reading, antiquing, watching movies, and traveling. To learn more about Vickie’s books or to sign up for her newsletter, visit her website and sign-up for her newsletter: www.vickiemcdonough.com

 

Sophie Davenport fears life is passing her by. Her strict, overprotective parents have kept her close to home because of the severe asthma attacks she sometimes endures. She longs to live a normal life and hopes to marry, but that dream seems impossible. When her aunt has a tragic accident and requests someone come to Kansas to help her, no one is available except Sophie. Her father, tied up with business, reluctantly agrees to let her go. Sophie is ecstatic and sees this trip as her one chance to prove to her parents and herself that she's capable of living on her own. But things in the small town of Windmill are not as her aunt portrayed. And her aunt's handsome neighbor, guardian of two of the children her aunt cares for after school, obviously doubts her abilities. Will the Kansas dust, the drama, and difficulties prove too much for Sophie? Or will she lose her heart to her neighbor and succumb to the call of the prairie?

56 comments:

  1. I really wasn't sure what the cities had in common before reading the rest of the post. I do know that I would love to read Call Of The Prairie.
    Katie J.
    johnsonk133{at}yahoo{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Don't feel bad, Katie. I didn't either! Good LUck!

      Delete
    2. They are rather random towns until you read how they are connected. :)

      Delete
  2. My guess is that maybe you both love horses?
    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Connie, I don't know about Vickie and horses, but I LOVE my horses!

      Delete
    2. Connie, Great guess, but not the one I'm looking for. I do love horse, as does Debbie. I even owned several when I was younger.

      Delete
  3. My guess was that you both loved horses. Vicki's book sounds great, as do those research trips.
    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! I told you not to read the post but the things that were in common with each other were at the BEGINNING OF THE POST! lol Sorry. But I DO love horses. :o)

      Delete
  4. To be honest I had no clue what they had in common, after reading the post, sometimes I can be pretty dense lol, what I think is that they were all visited by Vickie based books in all of these cities.

    wfnren(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good guess! Thanks for coming by and good luck.

      Delete
    2. That's right, Wendy. I visited all those towns while researching the area for books I wanted to locate there.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like my time era I enjoy reading and love the story line! Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy of this book and allowing me a chance. Thank you for featuring great Christian writers and for Vicki's talents at writing! Traveling to do research sounds like fun! May God continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! And thanks for coming by. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I love reading about the late 1800s too. Thanks for visiting Debbie Lynne's blog.

      Delete
  6. Oops - forgot my email address: triplel(at)evertek(dot)net

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had guessed that it was places where she lived or visited. Interesting post.
    Going there to do research is fabulous . Love her books and I am looking forward to reading Call
    Of The Prairie.
    I am feed burner follower.
    Thank you
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GReat guess! And thanks for being a follower on my blog. I love her books too.

      Delete
    2. You're right in that I visited those places. Each one had its own charm, and I'm thankful I got to visit them.

      Delete
  8. My guess was places that she had lived. I have read a few of Vickie's stories and enjoyed them.
    I am a feedburner follower.
    susanmsj at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good guess! Vickie is a talented author. I enjoy her books too. Good luck and thanks for being a follower.

      Delete
    2. Good guess, Susan. I've actually only lived in OK and Israel--an odd combination, for sure.

      Delete
  9. I guessed battles fought there but I was wrong.
    The story sounds exciting. I am a feedburner follower
    Most of all though Please have a wonderful,terrific,God blessed day
    Chris granville
    granvilleATfrontiernetDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! YOu never know, Chris, there may have been battles there once upon a time! Thanks for being a follower of my blog. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. There were battles fought in Charleston, for certain, and probably in the Texas towns at some point. But what they have in common is that I visited them all while doing research for new books.

      Delete
  10. :) I wasn't really sure, at first I thought battles because of Fredericksburg, but then I asked my mom what she thought and she said they all have German settlements. That one is more interesting so...LOL!

    Amada (pronounced: a.m.a.th.a) Chavez

    amada_chavez{AT}yahoo{DOT}com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting, Amada! I didn't know that. Thanks for coming by. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I didn't know about the German settlements. Lots of Europeans settled in ND and TX though, so maybe your mom was right.

      Delete
  11. I am a feedburner follower and receive your emails.
    The Call of the Prairie sounds great- I don't like to be 'coddled' because of health,etc. I can appreciate that feeling. The towns are towns with history of colonial & western times. Now that I read it- towns you visited for historical research for novels. sharon wileygreen1(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, Sharon you are right but that was a great guess. Loving these guesses. Thank you so much for following my blog. Good Luck.

      Delete
    2. Sharon, your guess is correct in that all those towns have great historical significance. I learned a lot visiting those places and learned to appreciate each town.

      Delete
  12. Hi Debbie! Hie Vickie! I guessed you had either lived and/or researched for books in the same places! I'm a feedburner follower and I've been wanting to read your two new "On the Prairie" books since Whisper on the Prairie came out!

    kam110476(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kam. Another great guess. Thanks for coming by and for following my blog. Good Luck!

      Delete
    2. Great guess, Kam! You're right in that they are towns I visit for the purpose of research. I hope you do get a chance to read my "Prairie" books. The third one comes out this summer.

      Delete
  13. All of the places have Historical building. All great places to do research of the past. I would love to win Vicki's book, and Debbie I do follow by Feedburner. Thanks for the give-away.
    Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I bet they do! Great guess. And we'd have to say you are right I'm sure. Thanks for following my blog and for coming by, Maxie. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. You're right, Maxie. I grew up in OK, which only celebrated its centennial seven years ago. We don't have 300 yr old buildings like Charleston does. I was so enamored with them.

      Delete
  14. I would say the one thing they all have in common would be that they are a part of American history. I have been to the Badlands and would love to go back.
    Thanks for entering me in the giveaway.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL And you would be right but not the answer Vickie was looking for. Thanks for coming by, Janet and good luck!

      Delete
    2. Janet, The Badlands are beautiful. I visited the rocky SD Badlands years ago when we were on vacation, so I was very surprised to find the ND Badlands were so grassy--beautiful in a different way.

      Delete
  15. I thought they might all have had Rangers at one time. I love that you are able to travel about doing research for your great books. Thank you for the giveaway.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm I wonder if they did? They may have! Thanks for coming by, Melanie. Good luck in the drawing.

      Delete
    2. Melanie, I really don't know if there were Rangers up in ND. The Army was for sure. Good guess though. Traveling has been a real blessing. We don't get to go every year, but I've enjoyed the trips we have taken.

      Delete
  16. I thought they were places that were visited alot. thanks for the chance to win ...
    truckredford(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Eliza! Good luck.

      Delete
    2. Eliza, you're right in that they are places I've visited, but I've only been to each once.

      Delete
  17. They are designated as "Preserve America Communities" under the federal government's Preserve America program? I would love to win Vickie's new book. I really enjoyed reading her first book Whispers on the Prairie. Thank you for the chance to win a copy.
    Karen G.
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the fun guess~ I don't know if they are all PAC programs. :o) Thanks for coming by and good luck!

      Delete
    2. Great guess, Karen, but I honestly don't know if they are PAC or not. They should be if they aren't. :)

      Delete
  18. Opps! I'm already subscribed as a feedburner follower.
    Karen G.
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hot and Dry was my first response, until I thought about North Dakota and cold winters! Hmm... settings for the novels in this trilogy?
    I would love to win to read about Sophie's growth and new adventures. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I am the momma who has a Debbie Lynn ~ I am a follower of your blog ~ feedburner signed up ~ also GFC friend, receiving e-mail updates of your posts. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

      Delete
    2. Yes! I remember, Kathleen!!!! Thanks so much for being a follower. Good luck!

      Delete
    3. Kathleen, You're right to some extent. We visited ND in the summer and the temps were 100 degrees there. Coming from OK where it's hot much of the summer, I was sooooo looking forward to going up North where I thought it would be cooler. Not so! It was actually in the 70s in OK when we were sweltering in ND.

      Delete
  20. I enjoyed reading the post and I have no idea what they have in common. I follow you via email.
    msbookwormlady(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Debbie Lynne's blog, Kay!

      Delete