Monday, December 30, 2013

The Guardian's Promise by Christina Rich ends January 6th



 Please welcome my friend, amazing web consultant, and wonderful author, Christina Rich to my blog this week. I'm so honored to have her here with me. Christina is giving away a copy of her new release. (If you win you'll be one of the first she sends her new book out to when she receives them in the mail!) Be sure to answer this question. 'Has a fiction book ever spoken to you spiritually and if so how?' Or leave a comment. Don't forget to leave your email and let me know if you are a follower for an extra entry!

The Message Within
I’ve always loved reading. Books like The Outsiders, The Jungle, The Great Gatsby, The Hobbit as well as many other classics lined my bookshelves. I loved the stories unfolded on the pages, loved being taken to another time and place.  Loved looking for the hidden messages within.
As writers, those messages within are important, they help tie all those words forming the story together. Sometimes they’re obvious, other times not so much. And sometimes they’re for the writer as much as they are for the reader.
Back in 2009, while sitting in church, inspiration took over with a simple question (and yes I believe it was God): What would happen if a bond servant fell in love with his master’s daughter? Oh, wait, what would happen if that bond servant was no servant but in truth a captain of the temple guard in charge of guarding a secret child king from his murderous grandmother?
I spent the rest of that afternoon plotting the story, which flowed out easier than any story I’d ever plotted. I started writing it the next day. Fifty-five days and seventy-five thousand words later The Guardian’s Promise was complete in rough draft form.  That book received a partial request late 2011 and due to a technical glitch (or was it) I didn’t receive the revision letter with the full request until mid-July. By this time our family was dealing with a troubled, incarcerated teen, but I was determined to sell this book, which meant pleasing the editor. I wanted to see my dream of publishing come true.
It was a monumental task trying to get the creativity flowing while dealing with the emotional ups and downs of my son being in a juvenile detention center. A huge part of me just wanted to curl in a ball and wallow in self-pity in order to cope with the disturbing thoughts. Where had we gone wrong? Did we miss a Sunday? Miss a tithe? Is that why it seemed God had abandoned us in what seemed like a great time of need?
But check out this excerpt from The Guardian’s Promise less than fifty pages in:
Questioning God’s faithfulness did not set well in his soul. He knew once the questioning began, it would soon fester and eat away at his heart. Ari fought the urge to bury his face into his hands. Instead, he stared into the great void and waited for some sort of reprimand from God Himself.
The quiet was only interrupted by the bleating of a goat. Still, he waited, for God’s peace to cloak him. Just as he was about to give up and seek his sleep, a star streaked across his vision and faded into the dark night. He recalled a psalm memorized from childhood.
The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite. The Lord lifteth up the meek; he casteth the wicked down to the ground.(Psalm 147:2-6 KJV)
If the Most High, in all of His greatness, cared to name even the stars and knew their number, would He not remember Ari?

WHOA! Isn’t all this just like God? He sent me, the writer, a message at the exact time I needed it. He hadn’t forgotten us. Not at all. He even cared enough to send me this little reminder in such a huge way, even promising to bind up the brokenhearted. What makes this even more awesome is that when I wrote the rough draft I didn’t have the scriptures added in, just little notes here and there saying look for one that might fit. When I was revising, nearly two years before, I did a search of stars in the scriptures, this one fit so perfectly that I knew right then the story I was writing could only have been orchestrated by God. I just didn’t realize that he’d orchestrated it for me. I won’t lie to you, I stared at those lines and then I wept. God is so very faithful, even causing a technical glitch. The Guardian’s Promise sold almost a year to the day of its initial request, almost three years to the day after I wrote those words.



The Guardian’s Promise Blurb
A Kingdom in Jeopardy
An evil queen and her royal guards will stop at nothing to find—and kill—the rightful heir to the throne of Judah. When their pursuit leads them to Mira’s village, only her father’s bond servant, Ari, a man shrouded in secrets, can keep Mira safe.
Abandoning his life as a temple guard and becoming an indentured servant was the only way Ari could protect young Joash, the true King of Judah, from Queen Athaliah. But his sacred duty prevents him from confessing his feelings for his master’s daughter. With the future of their nation on the line, Ari and Mira will risk everything to save their people.


MORE ABOUT CHRISTINA:
When she was younger, Christina tried to dig herself to China, loved Three Billy Goats Gruff, and had an obsession with maps. She gave up her dig to China but still jumps at the chance to travel even if it’s just down the road. She loves watching modern takes of fairytales and mythologies on the big screen and still has a huge obsession with maps. The older the better.
Born and raised in Kansas, where she currently lives with her husband and children, Christina loves to read stories with happily ever afters, research,  take photos, knit scarves, dig into her ancestry, fish, visit the ocean, write stories with happily ever afters and talk about her family and Jesus.
Her debut novel, The Guardian’s Promise, releases from Love Inspired March 2014.

DOUBLE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING by following my blog with Powered by FEEDBURNER on the right, and don't miss any giveaways (the button with the flame). If you already follow my blog go ahead and follow by FEEDBURNER so you can be entered twice. If you're not getting an email telling you I have a new giveaway you're not following through Feedburner. Just mention that you follow through Feedburner when you leave a comment with each giveaway and you'll be entered twice.

Be sure to leave your email address. Please check your junk mail on and the day after the drawing. I've had to redraw because of no responses. Subject box will have: winner of (book title). I'll email the winner and they'll have seven days to respond. If I don't hear back I'll draw another name. USA shipping only. Thanks so much and please stop back again! Drawing will be held Monday, January 6th at 8:00 A.M. EST. Offer void where prohibited. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.


16 comments:

  1. Debbie, thank you for featuring Christina on your post today. Her comments on the hurt over her son I can relate to. It is so hard to face the challenges as mothers even as Christians. I thank God for seeing me through the times I didn't think I could go on another second but He was faithful and now as a long time empty nester I have faced many more challenges and loss, and God is still in the mist to see me through.
    Yes, I have to say that Christian fiction books usually always speak to me personally. There is rarely a time I am not left thinking about how the characters lives unfold and how they make it either back to their faith or surrender to God . It gives me another Christian perspective to how I either think about things or how God has worked differently in my life than theirs. I usually am very moved by the faith and doubts of the characters.
    I am a follower by feedburner. Thank you
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, I can absolutely relate to the more hurts. I'm not an empty-nester yet. My baby is celebrating her 16th birthday today. What happened to 13? :) I remember sitting outside the jail and commenting to me husband that if this is the worst trial we ever endure we'd be blessed. We've since endured and are enduring several more, but God is with us. He goes before us, he hems us in, he covers us with the shadow of his wings.

    Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Christina! Thank you for sharing how you came up with your story. I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Piper. I like looking at the behind the scenes of stories, and this is just one of many.

      Delete
  4. Great post! Many times I've read books with a spiritual message, usually about love or connections between a man and woman, families, communities of women, or with God. Sometimes I've been in a dark place in my life and I read something in a book that feels like it's directed to me and my circumstances. Books are connections between people that share thoughts and feelings, and it's a gift to find a book that speaks to me.

    Happy Birthday, K!! And, C, almost time for TGP!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, thank you for stopping by. I totally get what you mean about being in a dark place and being spoken to through a book. I think that's why books will always be around, especially the ones that really resonate.

      Delete
  5. It is very interesting to hear how God worked through the bad times in Christina's life and used them for good. I always wonder how authors come up with their ideas and enjoy knowing how their own lives affect their writing--it makes the story more powerful in my opinion.

    chillirosen@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mallori, I'll tell you a little secret... I've been known to stalk authors just to find out the behind the scenes. Just Kidding, or maybe not. ;)

      Delete
  6. Dee Henderson's OMalley Series books and the book White Chocolate Moments reached me spiritually It showed people struggling in Life and questioning why the should believe in God and coming up with good questions and showed them finally accepting our Lord.
    God bless you Christina from another Christina who became Chris because it was messed with by people too often. Chris granvilleATfrontiernetDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Chris, tell me about it. I'm one thing to my parents, another to my grandma, another to hub's family and quite another to others.

      I love books that speak to me about 'real' life.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this most interesting post. I love to know "how an author ticks" when writing a story.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Guardian’s Promise sounds wonderful. Please enter me in contest. Thank you for the opportunity to win.augustlily06(at)aim(dot)com.I am a follower by email.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book Rekindled by Tamera Alexander spoke to me particularly about my marriage. In the book, the married couple are going through a rough time, especially when expectations were not being met. It helped me to re-frame how I look at my marriage.

    garfsgirl [at] hotmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lis, books that speak to me in such a way as the one that spoke to you are my favorite. If it encourages the reader then it's doing the job it was meant to do. Thank you for your open honesty.

      Delete