Monday, July 8, 2013

A Lady of Quality by Louise M Gouge ends July 15th


Award-winning Florida author Louise M. Gouge writes historical fiction for Harlequin's Love Inspired imprint. In addition to numerous other awards, Louise is the recipient of the prestigious Inspirational Readers’ Choice Award for her 2005 historical novel, Hannah Rose (first place) and her 2011 Regency novella, The Gentleman Takes a Bride, (second place). Please visit her Web site at http://blog.Louisemgouge.com

Welcome Louise Gouge, my friend and author. Louise is giving away a copy of her new release A Lady of Quality. To be entered to win tell us what the title of would be if you wrote a book about your life.

Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.
Goodness gracious, Debbie Lynne. Such a question! But I’ll answer anyway. I’m seated in my office (which is half of my bedroom), and I’m wearing my pajamas. It’s midmorning in Central Florida, and the month is July. In another hour, I’ll jump in the pool for a swim (my favorite exercise). No sense in getting dressed until after that, right?

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research?
This is a little hard to answer. After the publication of fourteen of my books, I’ve come across some amazing information about many areas of research. In truth, I think the most important thing I came across concerned Captain Ahab of Moby Dick fame. Ahab's Bride was my master’s thesis and my third published novel. Of course for a thesis, I had to do some deep research, and in my studies of Herman Melville’s Ahab, I found a book called Moby Dick and Calvinism. The author suggested that when Ahab went about trying to kill the White Whale, he was actually trying to kill God. Here was a man who was so bitter about losing his leg to the whale that he was filled with rage against the Almighty. This idea astounded me and guided me as I developed my character of Ahab.

What is something that very few people know about you?
Hmm. Well, I’m pretty transparent and have few “secrets.” I suppose my love of superhero movies is not well-known. Even as a grandmother nearing seventy, I’m still a romantic young girl at heart. It’s okay, though. My husband of forty-eight years likes those same movies. LOL!

 
What is your favorite material item that you own (examples: ipod, Gone with the Wind book, grandmother’s rocking chair)
Great question, but again a little hard to answer. I love my computers, even the new Windows 8 with Office 2013 that’s currently giving me a few fits. But I also love the little day-to-day items I inherited from my mother and grandmother: a cut glass vase, a set of china, a little kitchen fork my mother used to whip up the best scrambled eggs ever. If I had my druthers, I’d live in a house full of antiques, all except my electronics.

 
If you could live in any time period other than the one we live in, past or future, when and where would that be and why?
Oh, dear, I do love the time we live in. We have so many conveniences and medical advances that help us live longer, better lives. As much as I love historical novels and as much as I admire my ancestors, I wouldn’t really want to live in the past. As to the future, I would like to live in a time when there are no wars, no cancer or other devastating diseases, and no prejudices against people of faith.

If you were writing a book about your life what would the title be?
She never stopped trying! After raising my children, I went back to school and found three separate new careers. I still work at two of them: teaching and writing. Even at my age, I keep reinventing myself and accept the challenge of writing in new genres.

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
I think that would be the time I went backstage at a Beatles concert. It was 1964 at Red Rocks Amphitheater outside of Denver, Colorado. One of my friends was a guard there, and he let me stand in the wings just a couple of yards away from the Fab Four. I was never a screamer, so my pal knew I wouldn’t do anything to get him in trouble. I watched the opening act, Jackie de Shannon (spelling?) performing “What the World Needs Now,” and the Beatles were waiting to go on. They didn’t notice me, which was okay with me. It was such an interesting adventure and quite a memory to tell my children and grandchildren about.



 
Catherine Du Coeur is determined to uncover the truth about wealthy Lord Winston, who falsely accused her father of treason. But the closer she gets to the handsome young nobleman, the more she wonders how such a benevolent gentleman could have conspired to commit such evil. Baron Lord Winston has had little success in finding an accomplished aristocratic bride who is suited to his diplomatic aspirations. But when he meets Miss Du Coeur, a countess’s lowly companion, he finds that family connections are far less important than matters of the heart.

DOUBLE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING by following my blog with Powered by FEEDBURNER on the right, and don't miss any giveaways (the button with the flame). If you already follow my blog go ahead and follow by FEEDBURNER so you can be entered twice. If you're not getting an email telling you I have a new giveaway you're not following through Feedburner. Just mention that you follow through Feedburner when you leave a comment with each giveaway and you'll be entered twice.

Be sure to leave your email address. Please check your junk mail on and the day after the drawing. I've had to redraw because of no responses. Subject box will have: winner of (book title). I'll email the winner and they'll have seven days to respond. If I don't hear back I'll draw another name. USA shipping only. Thanks so much and please stop back again! Drawing will be held Monday, July 15th at 8:00 A.M. EST. Offer void where prohibited. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.

22 comments:

  1. That's a good question - I'm sure I could come up with something better, but at the moment I see the title being "Chaos for Six". :)
    Lovely interview and great Beatles story!
    Susan P
    farmygirl at hotmail dot com
    Feedburner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the title. There have been may a day that I think I could borrow your title. LOL. Thanks for coming by Susan.

      Delete
  2. "The Lady Never Gave Up" would be the title of my book.
    I love antiques too, but only the ones that have special meaning from my family.

    josieringer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Martha! Me too!!! I love antiques, and the ones that are special mean so much more to me. Your title is great!

      Delete
  3. Love those titles, ladies. Sounds like we have some things in common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, Louise and Debbie Lynne! Louise, your never-give-up attitude is a constant inspiration to me. BTW, A Lady of Quality may be your best Regency to date! Love ya, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here, Ramona. Thanks for coming by. Louise is always encouraging, much like you!

      Delete
  5. Would love to win this book. I am well aware of her work. God Bless. Enter me - jrs362 at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol!! Never thought of my life as a book title, as my husband and niece sit beside beside and give their suggestions :) I decided this one says it all... "Sweet Life of a Simple Girl" . Thank you for the opportunity in the drawing, I look forward to reading A Lady of Quality.
    Ljbayer44@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful title. I love it. There is much to be said for the simple life. I think they tried to simplify our lives with all this technology and what they really did was complicate it and make people busier. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the chance...and never gave any thought to a book about me but here goes..With God it's a Wonderful Life.

    truckredford(at)Gmail(dot)Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful life with God in it! He can take something ugly and a mess and turn it into something beautiful. Great title! Thanks for sharing and good luck!

      Delete
  8. I'm loving these titles! Thank you so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My book title would be "Redeemed By His Grace". Enjoyed the interview - thanks for the opportunity to win a copy of your book!

    I am a Feedburner follower.

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bonnie! Yes! WE are so blessed to be redeemed by His love and His mercy. Awesome title! Good luck.

      Delete
  10. Hallo, Hallo Ms. Gouge and Ms. Debbie Lynne,

    I've always been a romantic optimist and I daresay, I always shall remain! I love films that are either romantic in comedy or drama, which present an amazing cast of dynamics, and in the end, somehow love overcomes all! One of my favourite time travel romances is *Kate and Leopold*, and I adore period dramas from the BBC! I've become disappointed in super hero films due to the excessive violence and brutality of the storylines. My Superman was played by George and Christopher Reeves in film, and Dean Cain on tv! I miss the innocence and the humanity.

    Rocking the antiques! Love it! I'm someone who appreciates procurring antiques over newly bought items, because they inately carry a history with them! I love wandering around little townes stuffed to the gills with antique emporiums and attending auctions is always a joy because you just never know what you will find! Ecelectically able to have your personality spilt out throughout your house in such clever ways is always something I strive towards! The chinaware alone make me giddy! As much as the old fashioned writing desks! Swoon! And don't get me started on my passion for vintage typewriters that still 'work!'!! :)

    I seriously loved your memory of the Beatles! It was like standing just off to the side of history whilst history was breathing life into a memory that would take over audiophiles for generations to come! Awesomely wicked!! What was it like to hear "What the World Needs Now" live!? Do you remember what the Beatles played in their set!?

    Title of my Life: "The Curious Adventures of an Adventurous Soul"

    inkand-bookaways(at)usa.net
    RSS Feed Subscriber/Follower

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jorie! Love your title. Now you have me curious about your adventures. I agree with you so many of the original movies were so good. It's sad to see what today's society does to these wonderful icon movies. I'm not a huge Beatles fan, although when I was 7 I liked them. I loved the "Monkeys". They were my favorite. and loved their tv show. It was always so funny to me. LOL> Ah well, those were the days. Thanks for coming by Jorie. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo again, Ms. Debbie Lynne! :)

      One of my favourite Beatles song was sung by Patti Lupone as the theme for "Life Goes On"; the song is "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da". And, I love how their songs are being used as catalysts for story-telling such as the impressive premise of using "Hey Jude" as inclusion for "Across the Universe" which is an art house film that I would love to finally see this year!

      Honestly, there are so many of their songs I adore, as that whole generation is the music of my life -- including Motown and the music of the 50s! I grew up on 3 decades of music: 1950s, 1960s, and the 1970s. So many lovely songwriters came out of the late 60s and on through the 70s,... Simon and Garfunkel hold a special place in my heart, specifically "the Sound of Silence" which I unexpectedly had the chance to hear Garfunkel sing LIVE! :)

      I know of the Monkeys, for sure,... it's hard not to listen to the expanse of music I grew up on and not be familiar with them! The show though, is unknown to me, as I'm a bit younger! Laughs.

      I am finding vocalizations of modern singers with a hinge to the ones we love and know by heart even today,... it takes a bit, but they do come forward! :)

      I shifted into roots, folk, early 20th century sounds {Gershwin, Berlin, Porter, Fitzgerald, Armstrong, Bigband, etc}, indie singer songwriters, ambient soundscapes {great for writers!}, bluegrass, and Celtic ballards,... yet I remain rooted in my early music appreciations, because they led me to sound for motion picture and Broadway! :)

      Delete
  12. This sounds wonderful! My title would be Reading and Traveling, a Girl's Journey Through Life. I'm a follower. shopgirl152nykiki(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete