Monday, June 17, 2013

Immigrant Bride Collection by Nancy Farrier and others plus a tote bag ends June 24th



Nancy J Farrier is an award winning author who lives in Southern California in the Mojave Desert. She loves the Southwest and interesting historical past. Nancy and her husband have five children. When Nancy isn’t writing, she loves to read, do needlecraft, play with her cats, and spend time with her family. Nancy is represented by Karen Ball of The Steve Laube Literary Agency. You can read more about Nancy and her books on her website: nancyjfarrier.com.

Nancy is giving away a copy of her new release, Immigrant Bride Series and a tote bag for all of your favorite books! Leave a comment and tell us some crazy thing you've done to be entered in the drawing.

Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.
     At this very moment I’m sitting on the couch in the living room, laptop on my lap and my legs curled up under me. I’m wearing exercise capris and a comfy t-shirt. My hair is pulled back with a scrunchie, and I am saying, “Thank you, thank you,” that this isn’t a video chat. LOL

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research?

     The inspiration for my book, An Ostrich a Day, came when I accompanied my daughters on a field trip to an ostrich ranch. I was fascinated and called the owner later to ask if I could come and interview her to research a book. She was so much fun. We spent an afternoon together and she shared many stories about raising ostriches, some that happened to her and her husband, and some that others experienced. I included parts of those stories in my book, or used them for reference for my characters. (Before the book released, I took the manuscript to her to read and check for errors. She loved the story and I thanked her in my dedication.)
     One of the stories she related had to do with the younger male ostriches – the teenagers so to speak. The adolescent males can be very rambunctious. A person can go in a pen of female ostriches safely, but you have to be careful of those rowdy boys.
     She told of one man who wouldn’t listen to those who cautioned him. He wanted to show off and went into the ostrich pen. The male ostriches became very excited and surrounded him so he couldn’t exit the pen. By the time they were able to get him out, he was still alive, but lost every stitch of his clothing. A hard lesson learned. I used this scene in my book, but the character in the book did not lose all of his clothes, just part of them. Even now, thinking about that scene makes me smile.

What is something that very few people know about you?

     I grew up going to church with my family, but didn’t know I needed to ask Jesus to be my Savior. When I was sixteen, I questioned everything my parents taught, and didn’t find any good answers. So, I turned away from my parents, from the church and from God.
     The next several years were miserable, I acted like life was wonderful, but inside I had a heart filled with pain. I hated everyone, because I hated myself. At 18, I became pregnant and my fiancé and I married. Over the next six years I miscarried three times, and felt worthless as a woman. When I became pregnant for the 4th time, I didn’t think I would be able to live if I lost another child, even contemplating suicide. I cried out to God and told Him I would believe in Him if He let me have this baby.
      I gave birth to a healthy baby boy and told God I believed in Him now, but my life, which had become difficult didn’t change. What I didn’t know is that “even the demons believe and tremble.” (James 2:19 NKJV) By this time my marriage was a shambles, and I didn’t know what to do, or where to turn.
     Our son was 20 months old when my husband died in a car accident. I didn’t think life could get any worse. I felt responsible because of all the trouble we’d been having. But, God was there, working on my hardened heart. Almost a year after my husband died, I knelt on my living room floor and begged Jesus to forgive me and to become my Lord and Savior. What felt like a physical weight lifted from my shoulders, and I became a changed person.
     Since that day, life hasn’t always been easy. I lost my home in a flood, and had another home destroyed in a sink hole. Yet, through everything God has given me strength, peace and joy. He’s given me a wonderful husband and five children. I wouldn’t trade my life with Jesus Christ for anything. He is my life.

What is your favorite material item that you own (examples: ipod, Gone with the Wind book, grandmother’s rocking chair)   
     I am surrounded by wonderful material possessions that may not be valuable to most people, but are treasured by me. That’s because of the memories associated with each item – something one of my kids gave me, something that belonged to my mom, etc. I have a very special book given to me this past Mother’s Day, which is handwritten and illustrated by my grandson. I can’t even express how much that means to me.
     One of my new favorite possessions is my iPad. I didn’t think I would become so attached when I got this, but it’s so easy to carry in my purse and so useful. I have my Bible on it, books on the Kindle app, a list maker for my shopping, a camera to take pictures, internet access, and on and on. One of my favorite apps and the reason I first got the iPad is OnSong. This is an app for people who do worship in their church. As Worship Leader in my church this in invaluable resource for me.
     Yes, I know I could give up the iPad, but I wouldn’t find it fun. Lol

If you could live in any time period other than the one we live in, past or future,  when and where would that be and why?

     While I write historical fiction and love studying the time periods and how people live, I deal in the fictionalized reality, not the way things actually were. When I think what people faced living in those times, I don’t want to go back there.
     I feel God placed me in this time, right now, for a purpose. I’m content to be here – mostly, lol – without any desire for time travel one direction or the other.
     That said, if I could go to a time when people could travel on hover boards like they had in the Scott Westerfeld’s, Uglies, books, that would be fun. I loved the hover boards and the fact they had the bracelet that kept them from hitting the ground if they fell off. What fun. So maybe I would go to an alternate reality, not forward or backward.

If you were writing a book about your life what would the title be?
     Free to Laugh – Trusting God with every aspect of my life has given me the freedom to laugh and enjoy the life He’s given me. Yes, there are down times, times of hurt or discouragement, but overall I love to laugh and find joy in life.

What one novel did you read that made you want to be a part of the story?
     From the time I first learned to read, I devoured books. I would go to the library and bring home a pile of books to read each week. The library was one of my favorite places.
     I wasn’t always crazy about the assigned reading books in school, but in 10th grade my English teacher assigned The Hobbit. I’d never read any fantasy books before and didn’t even realize there was such a genre outside of fairy tale type of books. I will never forget the fascination I had for Tolkien’s story. We were to take a few weeks to read and discuss The Hobbit. I think I finished it in a couple of days. I don’t know how many times I reread it during that time. I loved the adventure and in reading, was drawn into the story like I had never been before.
     I still love fantasy stories, but most of all I love stories where I connect with the characters. I read fiction to become part of the story, and to learn something to. In reading The Hobbit, I learned about bravery, honesty and loyalty, plus many other lessons. Yep, I just love books and reading.

What is the biggest secret you ever kept (of course it can’t be a secret anymore)?
     Okay, so this is something I kept secret for years, but I did confess to my mother a couple of years before she passed away. My big, terrible secret.
     Until I was nine-years-old, we lived in a small Indiana community. Our neighbors were wonderful and it was a great place to grow up. The house we lived in had a huge front porch, which strangely shrank to a very normal sized porch when I went back to look at the house as an adult. LOL
     When I was around five or six-years-old, we had a bird, our only pet. Sometimes Mom would let the bird out to fly around the room. I loved that bird, but was fascinated after hearing stories about cats catching birds and killing them. I couldn’t imagine how any cat could catch a winged creature that flitted so high and so fast.
      One day I was alone in the living room. The bird flew about, going from one side of the room to the cage to the curtains on the other side of the room. I loved to watch him fly. This was a spring day, so the front storm door was open, leaving the only the screen door between the living room and outdoors. I heard a noise and looked over to see the neighbor’s cat at our door watching the bright-colored bird flit around the room.
     Well, I’m sure you can guess what happened. Curiosity didn’t kill the cat this time, but the bird didn’t fare so well. As soon as I cracked the door open that cat moved with light speed into the room, leaped into the air, grabbed the bird mid-flight, was out the door and gone before I had time to process what had happened. I’d never seen an animal move so fast.
     Now, I knew I would be in huge trouble, so I pretended I had no idea what happened to our little parakeet. For many years I kept quiet about what really happened. The funny thing was when I finally “fessed” up to Mom, she said, “Oh, I figured that’s what happened.”  I did learn a valuable lesson that day – at the cost of that poor bird.

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?

     I think most of us do some very crazy things when we’re young and don’t understand the full consequences we might face. Sometimes, tragedy happens because of this and sometimes we survive by the grace of God.
     I loved horses and I used to go riding a lot with a friend of mine. He was as crazy as I was. Once when we were riding, we decided we wanted to cross the main highway to visit someone. This was a very busy north-south road in Indiana with a lot of traffic. We wanted to cross outside of town, so the cars and semis would be travelling about 65mph. That made it hard to get across safely on horseback.
     One of us had the bright idea to cross over on the railroad bridge. Yep, there was a railroad bridge across this busy highway that was in just the right place. We figured we could ride our sometimes skittish horses over a road with big trucks traveling at high speeds and without knowing the train schedule. At that time trains came through town frequently.
     We started out, and I remember looking down at those vehicles racing below and being afraid, but I couldn’t back down. I have to say there was no fence or anything at the edge of the railroad bridge. It dropped off with no guard rail at all.
     If I remember right, my friend’s horse balked about half way across and we ended up turning around and going back. I was terrified that a train would come along and can still remember the utter relief I felt when we were back on safe ground. This is also something I didn’t tell my parents about. I would have been grounded and locked in my room for the next thirty years with good cause. That’s probably the most dangerous thing I ever did. Sometimes when I hear about teenagers doing something dangerous and getting hurt, I remember that time and understand. I am so grateful nothing horrible happened to either of us.

Join nine young women who leave their homelands to pursue the American dream! Spanning the years 1775 to 1906, this can't-put-down collection of historical romances includes Capucine: Home to My Heart; Freedom's Cry; The Golden Cord; I Take Thee, a Stranger; Blessed Land; Promises Kept; The Blessing Basket; The Angel of Nuremburg; and Prairie Schoolmarm. Nancy's novella is Blessed Land, the story of a young girl in 1854, Tucson, Arizona, right after the Gadsden Purchase made that area part of the United States of America.

67 comments:

  1. I can't really think of something crazy I have done as I tend to not do crazy things because I don't want to be embarrassed. Mostly I have shared links, told a story when asked or just commented. Thank you for the chance to win.

    griperang at embarqmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, you are so smart to be cautious. I tend to say or do things on impulse and then, yep, I get embarrassed. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. LOL. That is quite okay, Angela. I'm not the real daring type myself. Although, I was known to do a foolish thing now and then in my youth. Thanks for coming by and I'd love it if you'd share this link! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Nancy. When you was talking about the horse I was holding my breath! I can totally understand the relief you felt at coming back. I had an experience on a horse. We rode bareback and I accidently dropped the reins. Well, this horse would run home if you did that. He took off running. My brother was on the motor cycle and saw what had happened so he hurried up and went and drove the motorcycle sideways in front of the horse. We are so fortunate the horse didn't try to jump over the bike (it was a honda 50 a much smaller bike than what is out there today). But the horse complied and I retrieved the reins. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I've been on horses and had them run away with me. That's a bit scary. I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

      Delete
  4. The craziest thing I have ever done was go to Alaska in an RV with four adults, myself included.
    The really crazy thing is that we're still friends and would like to do it again.
    How crazy is that ??
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, that may be crazy, but it sounds like a lot of fun to me. I imagine you have some wonderful memories.

      Delete
    2. Heehee. That is crazy, Janet! I'm glad you are all still friends. And thanks for letting me know about the broken link! Your the best!!

      Delete
  5. The craziest thing I have ever done was try to hitch a pony to a little metal gocart to hold him for a minute while I tried to attend to something else. I actually thought he wouldn't move while I left him there because he was the laziest animal I ever knew, but guess what? Back turned, pony took off, then the cart scared him and he went running. I had to call my dad from a meeting, and he had told me NOT to ride the pony while he was gone.

    bcrug(at)myfairpoint(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, this made me laugh. I think my dad might have shared some of the same frustrations with kids that yours did. Ponies were so ornery. Mine used to race along at a gallop, see a piece of grass he wanted, come to a sudden halt and drop his head to eat. If I wasn't careful, I would just slide down his neck and end up on the ground.

      Delete
    2. LOL! Connie that is funny. nothing like having to tattle on yourself! I hope the pony and cart were retrieved. ;o)

      Delete
  6. Nancy, I feel like I've known you for years and yet I realize after reading this that I actually knew so little! Thanks for sharing this peek into your life. I know from the old Chinese saying that "interesting" almost never means easy, and your life certainly proves that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, you're right, interesting is not always easy. That's okay, though, because God can teach some great lessons if we only listen. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by, Maureen. I loved everything that Nancy shared. And you are so right, her life sounds like it was full of changes good and bad. I'm thankful she was able to lean on God to get her through the tough times.

      Delete
  7. The craziest thing I have every done . . . what comes to mind involves animals. I've stopped in the middle of traffic to "try" and rescue a pit bull, standing in the expressway. Also, there was a dog running down the exit ramp, heading for traffic! Yikes. What to do? Last week, a turtle got relocated to a pond from the middle of a busy street. Should I mention removing a little shaggy dog from the back of the animal control truck's cage? That's just a few "crazy things I've done recently. Love animals. I would enjoy reading the immigrant bride story. Thank you for entering my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I love that you rescue animals. I had to laugh over you taking the dog from the animal control truck. I've been know to rescue animals crossing the road, but never from the animal control truck. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    2. Awe Diane, you are a lady after my own heart! I always help turtles across the road. It is my self appointed job. I've rescued frogs from snakes mouths, bunnies from cats. Just show me an animal in need and I'm your man...er...lady. heehee

      Delete
  8. I'm not a crazy type person. Crazy for me is having a stranger for a roommate my first year at an ACFW conference. That roommate just happened to be Nancy. *waving wildly at Nancy* I enjoyed getting to know her. Blessings on the new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger (waving wildly), I loved rooming with you. What a wonderful experience. I often go to writer's conferences and room with someone I've never met before. I've connected with some wonderful authors that way. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. LOL!! Ginger, I think Nancy's craziness is enough to cover you if you roomed with her. wink wink.

      Delete
  9. One of the craziest things I have done is go on a bike ride that turned out to be too long and I was so exhausted by the time I came home!
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bike rides are great fun, but when you get out so far, you can't opt out like you can on an exercise bike. lol You have to peddle all the way back home. I'm glad you made it back. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. Thank goodness you had enough strength to get home. of course you could have called and had your best friend secretly pick you and your bike up and drop you off a block from the house so you could speed home looking all spry. ;o)

      Delete
  10. I am a subscriber.
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol I don't tend to do crazy things... They just happen to me... Like a simple flat tire my first day driving alone I ended up arriving home in the back of a police car because I didn't have a tire wrench in the car and they stopped to help... After my parents got over the shock of me and the police and realized in trouble we went to fix the car :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious, Lisa! Oh my goodness. I'd have been dying had I seen one of my children stepping out of a police car.

      Delete
    2. Lisa, I loved this story I can only imagine what your parents thought when they saw you in the police car.

      Delete
  12. I would love to win this awesome giveaway! Thanks for the awesome giveaway and God Bless!
    Sarah Richmond
    sarahrichmond.12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Share, Debbie Lynne, you ask? Then, my own Debbie Lynn will find out what I have done before her time, hee hee.
    When I was about 12 years old we moved to the big city and lived at a tourist court cottage until our furniture arrived and we were settled in a home of our own. One warm afternoon after a rain, I thought it would be fun, in my immense imagination, to go target shooting. There was a long white building and I made mud circles on the back side, and threw mud balls to hit the bullseye. How did that manager know it was me? He trailed me down and had me wash all of the building off. I had more than one, because after you used one, you needed a fresh one. Clean up time they were kind of baked on by the sun.
    So... you can tell by my confession, I would really like to have your book! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love confession time! I bet you didn't go target shooting again with mud balls!

      Delete
    2. I think I was more embarrassed, but in the moment I sure had fun ~ once, ha ha.

      Delete
    3. Very funny. I thought guns and you used mud balls. Made me laugh. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. Oh wow, what a great heart tugging testimony! Wonderful interview, thank you for opening up to us.
    As for crazy, well, I grew up on a farm with three brothers. I can't even keep count all the crazy things I did in their presence. As for heartpounding for my parents - I walked down our busy road alone when I was about 9 because I was afraid of bees in the field. Back then, kids don't do that!! My poor Mama. I survived it all, though!
    Susan P
    farmygirl at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! walking down a busy road would be scary for any parent. My parents cringe when we tell them the stories of what we used to do. Like taking a shortcut through a field we weren't supposed to because there was a bull in there that hated people. We'd run from tree to tree trying to keep out of his sight.

      Delete
    2. Susan, walking down a busy street at 9 years old sounds a bit scary and crazy. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    3. It's horrifying to me now that I have kids of my own! At 9, I thought I was "old enough" to decide to do that on my own. Oh how little we know. I am very thankful God was with me that day!
      I hear you on the bull, Debbie. We would have to beware of that also.

      Delete
    4. It is funny how we think we know it all and can handle anything at a young age but when we become adults we see the sure insanity of things we did. Maybe that is God upstairs telling us, 'See I had your back even back in the day.'

      Delete
  15. Wow, your interview was great!!! Okay I could write a book about the crazy things I have done. One that came to mind was accidentally getting lost in a little city and taking a wrong turn...to find out I was driving in the middle of a Labor Day Parade!!! Oh well, I rolled my windows down and my kids and I waved to all the patrons. Now that my kids are grown they are totally embarrassed when we talk about this, but then they thought it was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh out loud. How fun that you made the best of an embarrassing moment. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness! That was great. I absolutely love this. It sounds like a great scene in a story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, one crazy thing I did was drive all of the way to WY. from a small town the Tx. panhandle, then traveled back and drove till midnight. Out on those wide open prairies and me alone. Guess didn't have enough sense to be afraid. And, now I live near Houston, and won't even travel out of my town. Afraid of what might happen and me alone. Of course, theses days we have such horrific traffic too. I would love to win this great gift. Thanks for the give-away. MAXIE mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxie, isn't it wonderful when we can look back and see how God protected us? Thanks for sharing your story.

      Delete
    2. Hey Maxie. Yikes! That was very adventurous. Thank goodness God was watching over you. That is a VERY long way. To think of the things that could have happened. gulp!

      Delete
  18. I'm not generally the type of person who does something dangerous, but as a kid, we used to shoot bats in the barn with BB guns. Pretty high powered BB guns. Not high enough powered to punch a hole in the tin roof, but high enough power that we had to dive behind hay bales to avoid the ricochet of those BBs. I got smacked in the head with a few of them before I wised up and found something else to occupy my summer afternoons!
    twinwillowsfarm at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOl! you were a smart girl. A few good stings wised you up eh? You're lucky you didn't put an eye out. I hope you found something safer to do with your summer afternoons.

      Delete
    2. Pegg, I had to read your response aloud and we were all amazed that you weren't hurt. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  19. I'm not one to do crazy things, but had a boyfriend who did. He had a Wrangler Jeep and took me to a park that had a high cliff and almost straight down. Well, I thought he was going to park and look at the scenery. He didn't stop but kept going right over the cliff!! Scared the living daylights out of me and I thought that was it for me. Of course, he has done it before so he knew what he was doing. I didn't stay with him too long after that.
    Karen G.
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH My Gosh, Karen! That had to be horrifying. He probably would have had a wet upholstery if I'd have been in the passenger seat. heehee

      Delete
    2. Karen, I've been offroading before, and some people do crazy scary things. Glad you weren't hurt.

      Delete
  20. I already subscribe to the mailing list through feedburner.
    Karen G.
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL, does anyone know/remember what a Chinese Fire Drill is? Well, I used to bowl on a league, and yes this is after I had three kids and one was in high school, and some of us used to do the craziest things, one of which was a Chinese Fire Drill! Yep, grown women out running around a car and jumping back in.

    wfnren(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You don't want to do that in some towns in SC. A group of kids at my son's school was doing a Chinese Fire Drill and they got a ticket from the police!

      Delete
    2. Wendy, I remember Chinese Fire Drills. Pretty crazy. I think I only did them when I was young though. Now it would have to be a long slow light while I hobbled around the car. Lol

      Delete
    3. I loved those as a teenager! During drivers ed my best friend and I did one for fun as we switched on the course. The next time we had to switch we didn't do it and the instructor started yelling at us saying we did something wrong. We freaked out and then he burst out laughing saying we had forgotten to do our Chinese fire drill and couldn't drive until we did.
      I love that you were an adult while doing it!

      Delete
    4. LOL! Now that is funny. Your Driver's Ed teacher must have had a great sense of humor. My not so much. He probably would have failed me! I thought they were all that way from being scared senseless from having to ride with crazy teenagers. ;o)

      Delete
  22. I guess you could call this crazy--but I was just naïve. I was attending classes in Kansas City and went walking alone late at night. Found out later there were murders in the area.
    Mary Hake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, so often we do things and then find out later how dangerous they were. I think if we knew how often God protects us, we would be amazed. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  23. That is scary, Mary. I think sometimes we keep God's angels busy doing things we shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  24. No, I don't think I've done anything crazy. Unless, you count traveling from Florida to upstate NY by yourself without stopping. Drove for over 24 hours.

    prettyinpurplerose(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, Kevlin! That IS crazy and dangerous. HOw on earth did you ever stay awake? I guess lots of caffeine?

      Delete
  25. I'm an email subscriber. :)

    prettyinpurplerose(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nancy, thank you so much for sharing your touching story. I'm glad I got to know you better.

    I have to say, excluding my teen years, I am not the type person to do anything crazy. :) But in recent years, probably the craziest thing is that I've gone to several midnight movie releases with a good friend. Since the theater is a half hour away, it makes for some late week nights!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Missy, thanks for coming by. That sounds like fun going to a midnight show with a friend. And if I went it would have to be with a friend because hubby would sleep through the hole thing at that hour. lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. And the winner is....Missy!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete