Monday, March 4, 2013

Ring of Secret's by Roseanna White ends March 11th

Roseanna M. White pens her novels under the Betsy Ross flag hanging above her desk, with her Jane Austen action figure watching over her. When she isn’t writing fiction, she’s editing it for WhiteFire Publishing or reviewing it for the Christian Review of Books, both of which she co-founded with her husband.  www.roseannawhite.com   

Please welcome Roseanna White. A sweet fellow writer who loves history as much as I do. I'm curious to know what YOU think of birth order. Does it affect who we are as people? to be entered to win Roseanna's intriguing book Ring of Secrets answer the question: Does birth order affect who we are?

Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.
This time it’s actually interesting! I’m in a little cabin in the Appalachians, at a table across from my critique partner, on our first annual writing retreat. I just picked her up from the airport, so we’re not yet to the sweat-pant-and-slipper stage, and I’m still cute in my sweater and jeans. ;-)

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research?
The most fun part of research for Ring of Secrets was how the invisible inks worked! I decided some hands-on research was required, so I mixed up my own, got out my quill, and set to work. These were heat-developed, so picture me over my gas stove, holding the paper closer and closer to the flame, then panicking when it started to sizzle, LOL. You’ll find a scene with some similar observations in the book. =)

If you were told you were being sent back to live in the 19th Century, and you could bring one thing from today, what would that be?
My bathroom. The whole thing, complete with hot water. ;-)

What is something that very few people know about you?
I never outgrew kid food. I’d be perfectly happy eating macaroni, pizza, and hot dogs. ;-)

What is your favorite material item that you own (examples: ipod, Gone with the Wind book, grandmother’s rocking chair)
At the moment, it might be the necklace my hubby gave me for Valentine’s Day—he’d been saving for it for 10 years, so it’s pretty special. =)

If you could live in any time period other than the one we live in, when and where would that be and why?
The 19th century, for sure. Though I would require an affluent house with servants to handle all that work that would crop up from keeping house in that day and age, LOL.

Do you think birth order affects the way you write?
Hmm, never thought about that! I like to think that I go for the well-rounded view of things, but who knows...

If you were writing a book about your life what would the title be?
LOL. Oh dear, the hilarity that springs to mind... probably Adventures with Dust Bunnies. ;-)

What one novel did you read that made you want to be a part of the story?
Oo, tough one! Hmm. I’m going to go with one of the adventurous stories MaryLu Tyndall tells, though I don’t think I can decide which. ;-)

Love Has No Place in a World of Spies



1779—Winter Reeves is an aristocratic American Patriot forced to hide her heart amid the British Loyalists of the city of New York. She has learned to keep her ears open so she can pass information on British movements to Robbie Townsend, her childhood friend, and his spy ring. If she's caught, she will be executed for espionage, but she prays the Lord’s protection will sustain her, and Robbie has taught her the tools of the trade—the wonders of invisible ink, secret drop locations and, most importantly, a good cover.



Bennet Lane returns to New York from his Yale professorship with one goal: to find General Washington’s spy hidden among the ranks of the city’s elite. Searching for a wife was supposed to be nothing more than a convenient cover story for his mission, but when he meets Winter, with her too-intelligent eyes in her too-blank face, he finds a mystery that can’t be ignored.


Both are determined to prevail at any cost…and each is committed to a separate cause. Will God lead them to a shared destiny or lives lived apart?



DOUBLE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING by following my blog with Powered by FEEDBURNER on the right, and don't miss any giveaways (the button with the flame). If you already follow my blog go ahead and follow by FEEDBURNER so you can be entered twice. If you're not getting an email telling you I have a new giveaway you're not following through Feedburner. Just mention that you follow through Feedburner when you leave a comment with each giveaway and you'll be entered twice.
Be sure to leave your email address. Please check your junk mail on and the day after the drawing. I've had to redraw because of no responses. Subject box will have: winner of (book title). I'll email the winner and they'll have seven days to respond. If I don't hear back I'll draw another name. USA shipping only. Thanks so much and please stop back again! Drawing will be held Monday, March 11th, 8:00 A.M. EST. Offer void where prohibited. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.
 

40 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what I think about birth order affecting us as people. I think if there is any influence it would be minimal.
    I've had this book recommended to me already and look forward to reading it!

    Patty
    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patty. I know a lot of people I talk to say well that is understandable they are the firs child or middle child or what ever. It makes me wonder if birth order plays a part in who we are. But like you I'm not sure. :o)

      Delete
  2. Nice interview, ladies! I love Roseanna's novels and can't wait to read this one, too.

    I think birth order can influence us, but I don't think people can be pegged with broad generalizations. Circumstance, personality, and other issues factor into who we are.

    Thanks for the interview!
    srdietze at sbcglobal dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Susanne. I think that if birth order does influence us there are other things that can have bigger factors in developing our personalities.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for having me, Debbie Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so totally jealous of Roseanna and Stephanie being tucked away in some remote cabin on a writing retreat. I need to plan one of those with my crit partner. He he he. :-)

    And LOL at the whole experiment with invisible ink thing! I dare say I'm not bold enough to try it. Leave that for Winter and Ben.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I keep leaving little hints to my crit partner but she isn't biting. LOL. Thanks for coming by Naomi. Yeah, the ink I can so see my middle son doing that.

      Delete
    2. Oh, come on. It was fun! ;-) Stephanie and I had been talking for YEARS about doing this, and finally we came up with a good plan--she comes out this way one year, I go out to Kansas the next. So we have to do it every year to keep the costs equal, LOL.

      Delete
  5. I'm following your blog!

    I'm on your Google friends!

    I'm on your newsletter list!

    I WANT YOUR BOOK!....please....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks for coming by Melody! Good luck on winning!

      Delete
  6. Great interview. Roseanna sounds like a very fun lady. Adventures with Dust Bunnies! Love it!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee. I have a few of those hiding here and there. I need to find some names for them. ;o)

      Delete
    2. Only a few? I think I have a ranch...

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed reading the interview.

    I follow via email.

    Katie J
    johnsonk133[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really have a personal opinion, but I'm pretty sure it is a prevailing supposition. It seems logical that birth order would have some affect on who you are.
    may_dayzee (at) yahoo (dot) com
    I follow you with Feedburner (different email address)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Kay. Good luck and thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  9. Great interview, sounds like a book I'd love to read.

    sonflower277 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds fascinating! A girl spy, secret ink, the Revolution, what more could you ask for? It even has a gorgeous cover!
    Jasmine A.
    montanamade(at)gmail(dot)com

    P.S. I Follow through Feedburner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that Jasmine! Thanks for following through FB. Good luck

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jasmine! Definitely fun elements to work with.

      Delete
  11. Fun interview! I never outgrew kid food either! I like to joke that I have the taste buds of an eight year-old, Mac n' Cheese is seriously one of my favorite foods!
    I don't know what I think about birth order-except that the youngest gets spoiled! I have 8 siblings so there's not a lot of distinction by which number you are though I babysit this fam that has 6 kids and their genders match with the first 6 of my fam and actually the personalities are strangely similar-so maybe there's something to birth order!
    Follow by Feedburner
    gatorade635(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abbi. Thanks for coming by. LOL about the youngest getting spoiled. It makes me laugh because I've always heard the story how I was a 'surprise' and my mom told my grandmother that this one was going to get spoiled. ;o)

      Delete
  12. OOOO You have me attention! :) And I love the image of you testing your invisible ink! LOL! :D

    Amada (pronounced: a.m.a.th.a)
    amada_chavez{AT}yahoo.{DOT}com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the invisible ink really had my attention too. I am seriously going to tell my middle son about it! he loves stuff like that.

      Delete
    2. I felt so adventurous, LOL. Though it made me realize how far off from my images courtesy NATIONAL TREASURE it really was, LOL.

      Delete
  13. IF YOU HAVEN'T STOPPED BY WWW.JILLIANKENT.BLOGSPOT.COM STOP BY AFTER LEAVING A COMMENT HERE. I'M GIVING AWAY A BRACELET MADE FROM 19TH CENTURY SILVERWARE AND A BATH BASKET. YOU CAN SEE THEM HERE ON MY SIDE BAR.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by, everyone!! Sorry I've been a bit absent--I was on the tail end of a writing retreat and was out all day taking my critique partner back to the airport. I had a lot of fun with the research for this book, so it's nice to get to share some of it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. To funny that Roseanna had the paper sizzling. I would burn the whole house down. Wonderful interview.
    godblessamerica.jan(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Then it is a good thing that Roseanna did the experiment! We want you to keep your house. heehee. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
    2. Don't think I wasn't afraid of that! I made sure the path between stove and sink was clear before I started, LOL.

      Delete
  16. Lady DragonKeeperMarch 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM

    Sounds like a great book --I love colonial set novels! As an oldest child, I definitely think birth order affects your personality or at least, it did to me. Responsible, overachieving perfectionist (not always a good thing), etc. fit me to a "t". Having been around children all my life, I would say the oldest and youngest children generally have similar traits with those of the same birth order, but as others have mentioned, it's not the only determining factor. =)

    jafuchi7[at]hawaii[dot]edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm some might describe me that way and I am a youngest child. You might be on to something there. :o) Thank you for coming by and good luck!

      Delete
  17. Good evening, Ms. Debbie Lynne, and Ms. White! :)

    I've decided after the conversation I had with Ms. White on the CQ blog, that I simply had to add this book to my purchase request to turn into the library this weekend! Now, having said that, you ought to see how long of a list my ILLs became, as I took a 'year' off from requesting them! Laughs. Ahh, there are worse obsessions than seriously wicked books, eh!?

    Before I get ahead of myself, as I liked the cheeky way this interview unfolded, I must confess, that I'm the eldest and the only child thus far in my family! :) Not that anyone ever believes me, mind you! I am always attempting to explain 'how' I'm the sole child, as everyone I meet IRL tells me I'm at least one of five or six! They just pish posh me away with a wave of their hand, saying, "If you don't want to talk about your siblings today, that's fine with me!" Oyyy. I *wish!* I had siblings to talk about, truly I do! :) I always hoped that that part of my life would have knit together inasmuch as I wish it had for my parents! :) I'll keep you posted in case anything changes in the future! Therefore, its hard to ascertain the answer to the curious question!?

    I'll share character traits instead: I'm always quick to defend those who are being put down or prejudged by people who should know better. I rally behind causes that give support to those in need, such as Soldiers' Angels and my church prayer shawl ministry. I support civil rights, civil liberties, and take a stand against injustice and prejudice. I'm very maternal, happy-go-lucky, and am always in awe of what I discover in the natural world. I take each day at a time, and I am always game for an adventure! I give back even when not asked, and if I see something that needs done, I get on top of it! The best joy I have is being in service of others, whether of charity or kindness.

    And, in closing a note about the selection of the year for the story!? How did you settle on 1779 Ms. White!? I'm only a smidge more curious than the next reader, as its literally 200 years before I came along!

    I'm happy to enter, I hope to win, but more than naught, I appreciated the opportunity to learn a bit more about you! I love the mountains myself, and how I feel in Appalachia as far as inspiration and museful thoughts, I can attest that you must be writing quite well! Do you ever notice when your in certain places that ink flits to the page quite a bit quicker, if not as though your thoughts and muse are conjoined in a relaxed state!?

    Musefully,...

    RSS feed follower of Sword & Spirit
    inkand-bookaways(at)usa.net
    //Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again, Jorie! So glad you came this way. =) I picked 1779-1780 based entirely upon the history. Since my book is based on the real-life exploits of the Culper Ring (with my fictional characters tossed in), I chose my dates based on the year when the most interesting things happened, LOL. It was a bit of a challenge, since they had large periods of inactivity over the years they operated.

      Delete
    2. Now that IS interesting! Of all the avenues of the Revotionary War I've been uncovering, I never came across the Culper Ring before! I will have to tell my Mum about this, as she's the one who encouraged me to dig into this era in the first place! :) Its like a whole new piece to the evolving puzzle!

      Delete
    3. Hey Jorie! Thanks for coming by. Isn't Roseanna's spy info interesting! What is it about a spy? I guess the intrigue! Look at Bond. Men and women both love him. Well as long as the spy is on our side we love them. heehee. Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  18. This sounds so exciting! I'd love to win! I'm a follower. shopgirl152nykiki(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Veronia. Thank you for coming by and thanks for following! Good Luck.

      Delete