Monday, December 17, 2012

Waiting for Morning by Margaret Brownley ends December 24th




Margaret has published more than twenty-five novels. Waiting for Morning will be released in January, followed by Gunpowder Tea in October.  Her work will also appear in June’s A Bride for All Season collection and A Pioneer Christmas Collection.

Order Margaret’s next book Waiting for Morning (Brides of Last Chance Ranch) by January 8th and you could win a $100 gift card from Amazon or B&N.  Just copy the receipt and send or forward it to the publisher at ipreordered@gmail.com.  That’s it!




More Love and Laughter from N.Y. Times Bestselling Author
Margaret Brownley 

Margaret is giving away a copy of her book, Waiting for Morning. Leave a comment and tell us something special about your Christmas or what Christmas means to you to be entered in the drawing. 
 
Smile, Pardner—It’s Christmas!

If you’re like me, you’ve probably had your full of Christmas cheer and gift wrappings about now, and are longing for a little bit of that “peace on earth” we keep hearing about.
Still, no matter how hectic our lives might seem at the moment, nothing compares to Christmas in the old west.  Instead of forging their way through crowded malls and reams of wrapping paper, early pioneer women living in canvas homes, soddies and log cabins battled blizzards, bitter cold and driving winds. In 1849, Catherine Haun wrote in her diary that her family’s Christmas present was the rising of the Sacramento River that flooded the whole town.
Those of you planning to travel this holiday season might empathize with the passengers who spent the Christmas of 1870 on the Kansas-Pacific train stuck in snow.  Fortunately, soldiers from a nearby fort provided fresh buffalo meat, which is a whole lot more than you get today if stuck at the airport.
We don’t generally associate fireworks with Christmas, but for some early settlers it was the only way to celebrate. In 1895, a riot broke out and animals stampeded in Austin on Christmas Day when revelers shot off Roman candles. Fortunately, law and order was soon restored, but other parts of Texas weren’t so lucky.  The Fort Worth Gazette reported several incidences of people being shot and stabbed on Christmas Day over the use of Roman candles.  In some places, fireworks were encouraged as this piece in a 1880s newspaper attests: “Firecrackers are in evidence creating the genuine Christmas atmosphere of gunpowder smoke.” 
While most pioneers decorated their Christmas trees with strung popcorn, berries and pictures from Arbuckle’s coffee, McCade, Texas takes the prize for the most unusual ornaments.  On Christmas morning in 1883, three men were found hanging from a tree.  If that wasn’t festive enough, the shootout that followed provided “genuine atmosphere” a-plenty.  
What is Christmas without a feast?  Even the poorest of families managed to splurge a little.  Oysters were considered a luxury and one bride in Montana proudly served them to her guests on Christmas Day, unaware that the oysters had spoiled during transport.
Crime never takes a holiday and that was as true back then as it is now. On Christmas day in 1873, a group of Indians stole five army horses near the Concho River resulting in a shootout.  In 1877 Sam Bass robbed a Fort Worth stagecoach of $11.25, and in 1889 Butch Cassidy pulled his first bank holdup on Christmas Eve at a Telluride, Colorado bank.  
In case you were wondering, Christmas wasn’t all gunfire and fireworks. In 1881, Tombstone in Arizona Territory made news for having a “quiet” holiday.  Not to worry, they made up for it the following year.
Come to think of it, maybe those crowded malls aren’t so bad, after all, even without the “genuine Christmas atmosphere.” 



If Molly Hatfield’s purple attire doesn’t blind you, her dazzling smile will.  She doesn’t just sing to the cattle, she puts on a whole show. If only she wasn’t so stubborn about her brother’s care.  Or so distrustful of a certain handsome doctor...



37 comments:

  1. One thing that is different with my family (adult children and grandchildren) is that every year we celebrate on a different day--depending on when everyone can get together. This year it will be on December 29. I'm glad it isn't on December 25, so we can all go out for breakfast--easy for me and no clean-up!
    may_dayzee(at)yahoo(dot)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love easy clean up and no cooking too, Kay! Nothing like having a cook and a maid. heehee.

      Delete
  2. Christmas is a celebration of the Birth of Jesus and family and this one will be special since my husband was so sick this summer due to complications from a back surgery. At one point he was in a medically induced coma for 6 days. Yes, we are counting our blessings this year.

    wfnren(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise the Lord! That is wonderful Wendy. I pray that you have a blessed Christmas this year.

      Delete
  3. Christmas is such a wonderful time of year. Its the one time during the year that all of our family is together.
    Katie Johnson
    johnsonk133[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katie, That is the way I feel too. I love having all my family together that lives here. I just wish my family that didn't live here could join us!

      Delete
  4. I always look forward to our family Christmas and reading the Christmas Story from the Bible before we open our gifts.
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! And that IS what Christmas is all about isn't it. A great tradition to pass down to your children and grandchildren.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Wendy...counting my blessings every day...this Christmas i will enjoy spending time in church with my fellow believers. My mom was in ICU for two weeks, most of those not responding, and this will be the first time we will go to church since then. (we have been privileged to listen to the services, but it will be a treat to be there)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Marianne. I am so glad you will be able to be in church. That is wonderful. God Bless.

      Delete
  6. Yes I am soo excited about the Christmas holiday...celebrating with family, sharing lots of good food and fellowship.......counting our many blessing for such a warm and caring family.. I have shared on facebook and twitter too .happy Holidays....babyruthmac16ATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing on FB and Twitter. Good luck! Oh yes! We can't forget the food. Always something special with that too.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing those interesting Christmas events from the past. We decorate our whole living room. I have a Christmas quilt above the fireplace and stocking hanging on the mantel. The tree is up, and I'm wrapping presents. The best thing about Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth and being with family. And this year, all four of our boys will be home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful that all four of your boys will be home! How fun! My 3 are here and my daughter will be too. I love family time!

      Delete
  8. One of my best Christmas memories is the year we were in the process of adopting our son from China. Money was tight (for obvious reasons) so my hubby and I had foregone gifts. But we ordered a cake for the orphanage as a "Christmas" treat, and on Christmas morning I opened my email to find pictures of him and his friends with the cake. Five months later we went to get him and finally bring him home!

    Thanks for the giveaway! Please add my name to the hat. Would LOVE to win a copy of this.
    -Emily

    emily_reynolds(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet story, Emily. We started looking into adoption years ago out of Guatamala, but I ended up getting pregnant. And I sure do understand being strapped. It was going to be very expensive. Good luck!!

      Delete
  9. I would LOVE to win Margaret's book! I really enjoyed Dawn Comes Early! There are SO many things! I love Christmas! A few of my favorite traditions we have are: Reading from Luke Christmas Eve before bed, waking up way before the sun to open presents, and staying in our pjs (even mom and dad) ALL day long! :)

    Merry Christmas!!!

    Amada (pronounced: a.m.a.th.a) Chavez

    amada_chavez{AT}yahoo{DOT}com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Those are some fun things, Amada. Good luck. Margaret's books are great!

      Delete
  10. Hi Everyone! I thought I'd stop by and wish you all a Merry Christmas. I love reading your comments and how you spend the holidays. It looks like we all have a lot to be thankful for. Right now, all I want to do is hug every child I see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to win a copy of Margarey's new book. I've read most of Margaret's books so I know this one is wonderful!
    Blessings.....Joy
    ibjoy1953{at}yahaoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Joy. Glad you enjoy Margaret's books. Good LUck.

      Delete
  12. I've really enjoyed reading about how Christmas was celebrated in the 19th Century. Had to do a little research on that myself. I love Margaret's books and have never been disappointed in one. It'd be really nice to have this one on my shelf. Merry Christmas Debbie and Margaret.
    marthalrogers(at)sbcglobal(.)net.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Martha! Glad you enjoyed the post. And Merry Christmas to you too! Good luck on the drawing.

      Delete
  13. I love the music of Christmas, especially the old hymns. It is always nice to get together with my family for Christmas, though this year my son will not be with us. My sister died early this year so that leaves another hole in our family. My daughter and I will attend Christmas Eve service at church after spending the day with family.
    I've read four of Margaret's books and really enjoyed them. I'd be very happy to win a copy of Waiting for Morning.

    pmk56[at]sbcglobal[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pam. I'm sorry about the loss of your sister. That always makes Christmas sad when you have the first one without a loved one. And sorry to hear you won't have your son there either. I hope you enjoy your daughter and the Eve service. Good luck.

      Delete
  14. I love how Christmas is the one time of year that the family all get together and celebrate a the wonderful Birth of Christ.

    samanthaakuiper(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family and Christmas just seem to go together. I guess because we are all part of God's family! Good Luck!

      Delete
  15. I just love the Christmas Spirt. The joy of getting together with family and friends.Oh, and I also love the decorations and seeing christmas lights everywhere!

    jen.whitney08(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen. I love the Christmas Spirit too. I love the music too. There is something so heartwarming about the Christmas season.

      Delete
  16. Christmas will be very different this year. My Mom's homegoing service was a week ago today. I can only imagine what her Christmas will be like. It is because of the birth of Jesus that I know I will see her again.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH Janet! I am so sorry. That is going to be really hard I'm sure. My heart goes out to you. I pray you feel God's loving embrace around you as you spend your Christmas Day with family.

      Delete
  17. I love coming up with the perfect heartfelt gift for others. And this year almost all of my gifts are homemade. My mother is now teaching kindergarten and so I'm making her a bunch of file folder games. I'm taking the time to cut out the pieces and get them all laminated. My best friend is getting several things. She's got a garden, so I've gotten her a bunch of seeds for it. Plus I'm making her two scrapbooks of her daughters, but that won't be finished by Christmas. I'm making her 2 year old a batch of homemade play dough, and the baby is getting a crocheted blanket. So for me I enjoy putting the time and effort to make something special that will be a treasure to the person I'm giving the gift to.

    dawn(dot)janis(at)gmai(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very sweet, Dawn. We've done home made Christmas in the past and you know those are the gifts I cherish the most. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  18. Thank you for the wonderful article. I just read A Lady Like Sarah by Margaret and my grand daughters did also. We all just loved it. I am spending Christmas with my family in MI. We have a family quilt that my great grandmother made that we traditionally use under our Christmas tree. Christmas mean that Jesus for born. (non of that mr. claus is allowed in our home.
    godblessamerica.jan(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, we never told our children that there was a Santa Claus either. It just wasn't for us. My daughter just told me that they don't plan to either. She said she didn't believe in Santa and she turned out just fine. That made me feel good. :o)

      Delete
  19. I love our traditional family box in which we place gifts to encourage each other in our walk with the Lord. Christmas music and PJs are great too!
    worthy2bpraised at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Something special about Christmas with our family is that we have a some traditions that we keep, like making homemade raviolis together. On Friday, we made about 27 dozen and froze them for Christmas day! It makes the meal easy though!
    martha(at)lclink(dot)com

    ReplyDelete