Monday, September 17, 2012

No Safe Harbor by Elizabeth Ludwig ends September 24th


Elizabeth Ludwig is an award-winning author whose work has been featured on Novel Journey, the Christian Authors Network, and The Christian Pulse. She is an accomplished speaker and teacher, and often attends conferences and seminars, where she lectures on editing for fiction writers, crafting effective novel proposals, and conducting successful editor/agent interviews. In 2010, her first full-length historical novel Love Finds You in Calico, California earned Four Stars from the Romantic Times. She is the owner and editor of the popular literary blog, The Borrowed Book. Along with her husband and two children, Elizabeth makes her home in the great state of Texas. To learn more about Elizabeth and her work, visit her at www.elizabethludwig.com.

Elizabeth is giving away a copy of her new release, No Save Harbor. Answer the question, What would bring with you if you were sent back to the 19th century or leave a comment to be entered.
Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.
Right now, I’m sitting in my living room watching a new game show called The American Bible Challenge, hosted by Jeff Foxworthy. It’s pretty neat! I’m wearing denim capris and a tee shirt, though if I’d started this interview another thirty minutes later, I’d be wearing my pj’s!

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research?
I love to do research, especially when I stumble on something I didn’t know before. For example, I learned all kinds of things about Ellis Island while I was researching No Safe Harbor. Here are just a couple of tidbits:
1. From 1892 to 1954, over twelve million immigrants entered the United States through Ellis Island, a small island in New York Harbor.
2. Ellis Island is located in the upper bay just off the New Jersey coast, within the shadow of the Statue of Liberty.
3. Through the years, this gateway to the new world was enlarged from its original 3.3 acres to 27.5 acres by landfill supposedly obtained from the ballast of ships, excess earth from the construction of the New York City subway system and elsewhere.
Neat, huh?

If you were told you were being sent back to live in the 19th Century, and you could bring one thing from today, what would that be?
My computer…so I could check my email. I’d be lost without my email! Of course, there wouldn’t be anyone with another computer to send me things, right? In fact, I’d probably end up burned at the stake for witchcraft. Maybe I should leave the computer at home. Can I start over? ;-)

What is something that very few people know about you?
This is a fun one! I guess it would have to be that I love playing with computers. In fact, my kids call me a computer geek wannabe! I’m not good enough with techie stuff to actually do anything fancy…just good enough to get in trouble.

What is your favorite material item that you own (examples: ipod, Gone with the Wind book, grandmother’s rocking chair)
That would have to be the cuckoo clock that my husband and I brought back from the Black Forest. We were traveling through Germany, and we stopped in this little village full of interesting little shops. One of them sold clocks, and I had to have one!

If you could live in any time period other than the one we live in, when and where would that be and why?
The time period that most appeals to me is the mid to late 1800’s. It seems like such a romantic time, when men were chivalrous and women weren’t afraid to be feminine…and let’s just ignore the fact that no one wore deodorant.

Do you think birth order affects the way you write?
Well, I’m a middle child, so of course, I tend to be an over-achiever, but does it affect the way I write? I don’t think so—with one possible exception: it is, and always has been, very important to me that my parents are proud of my work.

If you were writing a book about your life what would the title be?
Well, let’s see…aside from reading and writing, I love to ski and I have a ridiculous number of dogs, so I think a book about my life would have to be titled something like Downhill Dachshunds: Keeping up with the Pack.

What one novel did you read that made you want to be a part of the story?
Oh my goodness…I know this answer is going to baffle most people but…I would have to say No Flying in the House by Betty Brock. It’s not really a novel, I know, but this tiny book sparked my imagination. It’s all about a little girl named Annabel Tippens.
Annabel is a little girl “with short blond hair and very good manners” (taken from the book description on Amazon.com). She seems quite ordinary, except that she’s also half fairy—and instead of parents, she has a two-inch high dog named Gloria.
Well, you can imagine that for a kid who loved to read, this book was extraordinary.  I read it over and over again, and dreamed of the day I would learn to fly. Later, I came to realize that what captured my imagination was not so much the story of a half-fairy princess, but of a little girl struggling to find herself. The sacrifices that Annabel Tippens makes challenged me to acknowledge what was real and important—love, faith, and family. 





Lured by a handful of scribbled words across a faded letter, Cara Hamilton sets off from 1896 Ireland on a quest to find the brother she'd thought dead. Her search lands her in America, amidst a houseful of strangers and one man who claims to be a friend--Rourke Walsh.

Despite her brother's warning, Cara decides to trust Rourke and reveals the truth about her purpose in America. But he is not who he claims to be, and as rumors begin to circulate about an underground group of dangerous revolutionaries, Cara's desperation grows. Her questions lead her ever closer to her brother, but they also bring her closer to destruction as Rourke's true intentions come to light.





4 Stars from Romantic Times Magazine: There is romance, mystery, intrigue, suspense and much more in Ludwig's first Edge of Freedom novel. The characters are strong, both in mind and spirit, which was a must for people straight off Ellis Island in the late 1800's. The author did her research well for this book.

Booklist Reviews: No Safe Harbor by Elizabeth Ludwig. As she steps off the boat at Ellis Island in the opener to Ludwig’s new Edge of Freedom series, Irish lass Cara Hamilton beckons readers to join her as she searches for her brother, Eoghan, whom she had once believed to be dead. In keeping with the social climate in New York at the turn of the twentieth century, Cara confronts the hardships associated with being a young, unchaperoned Irish woman as she attempts to find her place. When a seemingly trustworthy countryman named Rourke befriends her, Cara is guarded but eventually reveals the truth about her immigration. An evolving series of twists and turns uncovers the truth about her brother, and about Rourke, forcing Cara to make hard decisions to save those she loves.
Praised for her past works of historical fiction, Texas-based Christian-fiction-author Ludwig keeps readers on the edge of their seats in this suspenseful romance, interlaced with period detail, as desperation to find her family takes Cara down a hazardous road to loved ones lost and found.





DOUBLE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING by following my blog with Powered by FEEDBURNER on the right, and don't miss any giveaways (the button with the flame). If you already follow my blog go ahead and follow by FEEDBURNER so you can be entered twice. If you're not getting an email telling you I have a new giveaway you're not following through Feedburner. Just mention that you follow through Feedburner when you leave a comment with each giveaway and you'll be entered twice.


Be sure to leave your email address. Please check your junk mail on and the day after the drawing. I've had to redraw because of no responses. Subject box will have: winner of (book title). I'll email the winner and they'll have seven days to respond. If I don't hear back I'll draw another name. USA shipping only. Thanks so much and please stop back again! Drawing will be held Monday, September 24th, 8:00 A.M. EST. Offer void where prohibited. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.

28 comments:

  1. Great interview! My great-great-grandmother came over on a boat from Ireland during the potato famine. I'd LOVE to read this book!!! Ellis Island fascinates me...

    If I could bring one thing back with me...? Oh how to chose? Maybe some sort of survival book! LOL

    Please toss my name in the hat, and best wishes on your newest release!

    Emily_reynolds(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy books set around the turn of the century and this looks very good! Please enter me.
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a follower and this books sounds great! I love stories set in the 1800's and I have family that came from Ireland, so I am fascinated with that history and a mystery to be solved - this book sounds like my cup of tea! Please enter me in your drawing and thank you for the opportunity!

    Blessings,
    triplel(at)evertek(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow your blog and would love to read this book. I am adopted and when I found my natural family I learned I sure am Irish. So I love books with this setting. Please enter me in this drawing.
    Thank you
    donnagodfrey60@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the chance to read this wonderful novel.
    I'm a follower, too.

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great!!! Please enter me! (I also follow your blog under the name of "Torrance Tiger" and I subscribe by feedburner :) ) Thanks for this opportunity! :)

    Amada (pronounced:a.m.a.th.a) Chavez

    amada_chavez[AT]yahoo[DOT]com

    Acts 16:31 (Read it, Believe it, and Be Saved!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a half-Irish Historical Fiction reader! Qualifies me!! Kathleen
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have it too, but meant to say I "am" half-Irish. My friends would heartily agree that I can't keep my toes from tapping and my hands from clapping when they play The Irish Washerwoman on guitar and harmonica when we are at our Sunday night small group. I've tried, and my Irish insides just won't let me!! Kathleen
      lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

      Delete
    2. [by the way ~*~ change the "they" to "he" ~ one person plays the guitar and has the harmonica on a neck wire and does both!] k.

      Delete
  9. I am a Google Friend Connect friend. I see my little window up there with the little brown hearts hanging down! Kathleen
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a FeedBurner e-mail receiver of your post notifications! Kathleen
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I were sent back to the 19th century I'd take my tablet, Nook, Kindle, or laptop filled with my romantic/suspense books!!


    Would love to readand review "No Safe Harbor" on my blog at create4christ.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I were sent back to the 19th century I'd take my tablet, Nook, Kindle, or laptop filled with my romantic/suspense books!!


    Would love to readand review "No Safe Harbor" on my blog at create4christ.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I were sent back to the 19th century I'd take my ipad, and laptop...so I'd still have my music:)

    Would love to be entered for a chance to win...this sounds like a great book!
    ...BTW congrats on your newest release :)

    thanks, Lorna

    lornafaith at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great book. I would probably like to bring my ipod.

    sonflower277 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would bring a Bible and my birth certificate ~ hopefully I could prove my identify ~ but of what good would this id be, for it would not match my age? Kathleen
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would bring my ipad and tablet!
    likesmusic2@consolidated.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I would be like Elizabeth and want to bring a laptop, but of course what good would it be with no electricity to charge the battery and no internet to connect to!
    Sounds like a very interesting read! I visited Ellis Island years ago on my senior class trip and thought it was very fascinating.

    Patty
    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    I follow via feedburner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a follower!

    This book looks GREAT! I love suspense and being of Celtic heritage I love anything to do with Ireland and Scotland. I would love to read this book... I don't think I have read anything by this author! Thanks for the interview and a glimpse into this book!

    ladettek[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love books from this time period. Thanks for the chance to win this.
    godblessamerica.jan(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would bring my Bible and my books.
    jrs362 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey all! Thanks for stopping by. I'm on the other coast this week (and last). My hubby has a conference and we went and visited a dear friend, MaryLu Tyndall. I'm heading off to Dallas early in the morning to ACFW conference, so I apologize for not answering all of you individually. But thank you so much for stopping by and good luck to all of you on winning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have an ancestor who came over from Ireland earlier than this time period but I am not convinced he was Irish. Maybe Scots-Irish.

    Nice interview DL! Praying the conf goes great for you!!! Don't enter me, sweetie, because I am SWAMPED with reading right now. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the opportunity to enter the drawing. What would I take if I went back---most definitely my Bible. I think during this time they weren't so plentiful and I cannot do without it. I love this genre of books and would dearly love to win. Blessings!

    spangldlady[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know this is a gross answer but I'd bring a good razor *shudder* This sounds like a really book and I'd love to read it!

    ecriggs1990(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I follow via Feedburner!

    ecriggs1990(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  26. My spinal cord stimulator charger and a solar generator to charge it.
    godblessamerica.jan(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete