Monday, August 27, 2012

Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by Melanie Dobson


 
Melanie Dobson is the award-winning author of ten contemporary and historical novels including her most recent release, Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan. She is the former corporate publicity manager at Focus on the Family and worked in public relations for fifteen years before she began writing fiction fulltime. When she’s not writing, Melanie loves exploring the mountains in her home state of Oregon with her husband and two daughters.

Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.
I’m afraid it’s not very exciting. I’m wearing a summer dress and sweating like crazy at our local pool while my girls take swim lessons. If I get distracted, it’s because of one them is shouting, “Look at me!”

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research?
Great question! I’m a bit of a research junkie (writing is really just my excuse to research) so I’ve learned all sorts of things I find interesting over the years. One of the most significant pieces of information I learned was when I was interviewing an Amana woman about the history of the Amana people. I asked her what was the most important to Amana women who lived during their communal days, and she didn’t hesitate with her answer. It wasn’t their children, husband, work, or church community. The most important thing to Amana women was their friendships. That bit of information transformed my entire story.

If you were told you were being sent back to live in the 19th Century, and you could bring one thing from today, what would that be?
I guess my IPhone or computer wouldn’t work well without today’s technology so I think I would have to test out Edison’s electricity with my Vitamix.

What is something that very few people know about you?
I love to explore caves. When I was in my twenties, I did quite a bit of caving with friends in Virginia and West Virginia. Our kids are too young to rappel or go over large boulders right now, but we’ve had fun in the last year exploring the volcanic Ape Caves in Washington as well as the beautiful Oregon Caves.

What is your favorite material item that you own (examples: ipod, Gone with the Wind book, grandmother’s rocking chair)
It sounds so unsentimental, but it would have to be my laptop because it has all my pictures, email from friends, research notes, and both my published work and the “no one reads this but me” writing.   

If you could live in any time period other than the one we live in, when and where would that be and why?
My husband and I backpacked Europe nine years ago, and I fell in love with it. If I wasn’t born in Illinois (at the tail end of the sixties), I would love to live in a village in Austria, Switzerland, or Germany when there was peace and religious freedom.
 
Do you think birth order affects the way you write?
I’m honestly not sure. I’ve been told I’m driven because I’m firstborn, but my husband is quite driven as well and he’s the last of three. Come to think of it, though, he keeps telling me to slow down.

If you were writing a book about your life what would the title be?
Oh my goodness. That’s another great question, but I’m so bad at titling a 90,000-word book, I can’t imagine trying to title my whole life. It would definitely be something about God’s faithfulness and redemption. And the incredible journey of adopting our girls and pursuing the dreams He’s given us. Where’s my writer’s group? They are so much better than I am at titles!

What one novel did you read that made you want to be a part of the story?
Definitely Jan Karon’s Mitford series. I so want to retire in Mitford! I’ve been to Blowing Rock, (NC), but it’s not quite the same….

 I love Blowing Rock! Been there many times. 

As the Gilded Age comes to a close, Elena Bissette’s once-wealthy family has nearly lost its fortune. The Bissettes still own a home on fashionable Mackinac Island, where they will spend one last summer in the hope of introducing Elena to a wealthy suitor. But Elena is repulsed by the idea of marrying for money. Quickly tiring of the extravagant balls, she spends most evenings escaping back into Mackinac’s rugged forest. There she meets Chase, a handsome laborer who shares her love for the night sky. The two begin to meet in secret at an abandoned lighthouse, where they work together to solve a mystery buried in the pages of a tattered diary.

As Elena falls in love with Chase, her mother relentlessly contrives to introduce her to Chester Darrington, the island’s most eligible bachelor. Marriage to the elusive millionaire would solve the Bissettes’ financial woes, and Elena is torn between duty and love.

DOUBLE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING by following my blog with Powered by FEEDBURNER on the right, and don't miss any giveaways (the button with the flame). If you already follow my blog go ahead and follow by FEEDBURNER so you can be entered twice. If you're not getting an email telling you I have a new giveaway you're not following through Feedburner. Just mention that you follow through Feedburner when you leave a comment with each giveaway and you'll be entered twice.

Be sure to leave your email address. Please check your junk mail on and the day after the drawing. I've had to redraw because of no responses. Subject box will have: winner of (book title). I'll email the winner and they'll have seven days to respond. If I don't hear back I'll draw another name. USA shipping only. Thanks so much and please stop back again! Drawing will be held Monday, September 2nd, 8:00 A.M. EST. Offer void where prohibited. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.

25 comments:

  1. I've seen this book on other blog tours and would love a chance to win! I live on the New England coast and LOVE lighthouses. And I always love a bit of mystery. Best wishes on the success of your novel!
    -Emily
    emily_reynolds(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Emily. My grandmother loves lighthouses too! and my sister loves Mackinac Island.

      Delete
  2. Please enter me in the drawing for Melanie's book! Thank you. Kathleen
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey kathleen. You're entered. And thanks for being a follower.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to read this book, please enter me in the drawing!
    I follow via FEEDBURNER.

    Liz

    ecriggs1990(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Liz. And thank you for following.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to read this one. Thank you!!

    Im a feedburner follower!

    Amy C
    campbellamyd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amy, Thanks for coming by and following. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. This was such a fun interview, Debbie! Thanks so much for having me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to have you on here, Melanie. Should be a fun week!

      Delete
  6. We had a trip to Mackinac Island several years ago and it was so peaceful and beautiful!! I'd love to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! A Mackinac Island visitor! Always makes a book more fun when you've bee there. good luck!

      Delete
  7. Feedburner subscriber.
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mackinac Island is such a romantic setting for a book. I'd love to win a copy of Melanie's new book.

    I'm a Feedburner subscriber.

    pmk56[at]sbcglobal[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Pam. Very romantic. Good luck.

      Delete
  9. Please enter me to win. I just love her books as they are so uplifting and encouraging. Also I can use them to escape my problems sometimes. jrs362 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful that her books lift you up. Good luck and thankd for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful cover for this book. I have only been to Michigan once and want to visit Mackinac Island.

    Blessings,
    Jo
    azladijo(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jo, Mackinac Island is a great place to put on one's bucket list. Lots of fun.

      Delete
  11. Looks like a lovely story :)
    cllyrics@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these Love finds you stories! They are some of my favorite to read! Plus one by Melanie Dobson...that is a plus! martha(at)lclink(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy them too, Martha. Can't ask for more having the two together. :o) good luck!

      Delete
  13. Made me smile when Melanie said she would take her Vitamix back with her to the 19th century :). Followed through Feedburner via Google Reader.

    Jes
    jswaks(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jes! Thanks for following through Feed burner. Yes it made me smile too! She could be a millionaire making frozen fruit drinks! LOL

      Delete