Monday, April 9, 2012

A Man to Trust by Carrie Turnansky Ends April 16th

Carrie Turansky is the award-winning author of ten novels and novellas. Carrie writes contemporary and historical romance for Barbour and Love Inspired. Her latest releases are A Man To Trust, Surrendered Hearts, and Christmas Mail-Order Brides. She lives in New Jersey with her husband, Scott, who is a pastor, author, speaker and counselor. They have five young adult children and three grandchildren. Carrie leads women’s ministry at her church, and when she is not writing she enjoys gardening, reading, flower arranging, and cooking for friends and Family. Carrie loves to connect with readers through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and her website: www.carrieturansky.com

Ask Carrie a question or leave a comment to be entered in the drawing. Don't forget to leave your email address so I can contact you if you win and let me know if you follow by Feedburner for a second entry. Good luck!

 
Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.

I am in my dining room, sitting at my desk in the corner. I’m wearing my comfy Saturday jeans and a blue turtleneck. I’m looking out my window with a beautiful view of our backyard where the sun is shining down my tulips and where the dogwoods are just starting to bloom.

What is your favorite time period to write in?

Right now I am researching England at the turn of the century – 1900. I’m really enjoying learning about the end of the Victorian Era and the beginning of the Edwardian period.

If you could visit any place in the world where would you go and why?

I’d love to go to Great Britain and visit some of the lovely historic country homes. I’d especially like to visit Highclere Castle where Downtown Abbey was filmed and some of the other beautiful homes and gardens in that area.

If you could meet any person alive or dead who would that be and why? (excluding the Lord)

I think I’d like to meet Amy Carmichael. She was an Irish missionary to India from 1901 - 1951. She wrote many books and started a center for young girls who were rescued from being temple prostitutes. I’ve read her biography, and it was so inspiring. I know I’d enjoy meeting her.

What is the hardest part in writing a story?

I think the hardest part for me is turning off the “internal editor” so that I don’t question each sentence and word. I’m trying to learn to write more freely and quickly and let my creativity flow.

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research?

Starting in 1870’s – 1900 there was a whole wave of wealthy young American women who traveled to England hoping to marry an English Lord. Many of these titled men were in desperate need of money to save their estates, so they were open to marrying the American women. There were negotiations between lawyers on behalf of each man and woman to set the financial terms of the marriage. Some of them were happy marriages, many were not. Very interesting times!

If you were writing a book about your life what would the title be?

Joy on the Journey – I’d share all the ways God has shown His faithfulness and given me joy and blessings.

What one thing on your writing journey influenced your work the most?

One thing that has influenced me the most was joining American Christian Fiction Writers in 2000. Through ACFW I met my mentor, my agent, and many other wonderful authors who have become dear friends. I’ve learned about the publishing world and received great teaching and encouragement. I am very thankful and try to pass on some of those blessings to other aspiring writers.



 
After years spent helping run her family’s Christian bookstore, it’s time for Adrie Chandler to give her own dream a chance. But can she really trust the beloved shop to hew manager Ross Peterson?  The man is too handsome, too charming. . .too much a reminder of another dream Adrie had to let go of—marriage. Yet Ross surprises her by knowing a thing or tow about making sacrifices. Suddenly, Adrie is questioning what she really wants. And whether the dreams she once thought unlikely are within reach after all.

DOUBLE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING by following my blog with Powered by FEEDBURNER on the right, and don't miss any giveaways (the button with the flame). If you already follow my blog go ahead and follow by FEEDBURNER so you can be entered twice. If you're not getting an email telling you I have a new giveaway you're not following through Feedburner. Just mention that you follow through Feedburner when you leave a comment with each giveaway and you'll be entered twice.

Be sure to leave your email address. Please check your junk mail on and the day after the drawing. I've had to redraw because of no responses. Subject box will have: winner of (book title). I'll email the winner and they'll have seven days to respond. If I don't hear back I'll draw another name. USA shipping only. Thanks so much and please stop back again! Drawing will be held Monday, April 16th. Offer void where prohibited. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.


32 comments:

  1. Hi DebbieLynne, thanks for inviting me over to your blog! I enjoyed answering these questions. Hope we can connect with readers who will enjoy this story.
    Blessings,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pleasure has been all mine! I'm tickled that you are on here. I have some wonderful faithful followers who love to read and I'm sure will be telling you as much. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole heiress thing gets me thinking of the founder of Girl Scouts who married a titled Englishman who led a far different life than she had. What heartache she had. God, not money, needs to be the uniting factor! Thanks for the interview, Debbie Lynne and Carrie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a sad story. Not really ready to give up America, she spent her married life between two continents. Not much of a romance story. But what she did afterwards has been a blessing to many children. I enjoyed the girlscouts as a young girl.

      Delete
  4. Great interview and oh, so interesting questions. Would love to be entered in the drawing. pat(at)ptbradley(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Pat. And your name will be thrown in the hat.

      Delete
  5. Carrie P., I didn't know about the founder of the Girl Scouts. I will have to look up her story.

    Pat - thanks for stopping by! I love to connect with readers and share more about the story behind the story.

    Blessings,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy on the Journey would be a wonderful title for a book! I enjoyed the interview and would love to read A Man To Trust.

    Follow by feedburner.

    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruby - maybe I will write that Joy on the Journey memoir for my children and grandchildren to read. God has been so faithful to me. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by. I always smile when I see your picture of your two furry friends. good luck on the drawing.

      Delete
  7. Great interview! I'm intrigued by Amy Carmichael - I will have to find out more about her. I also agree that the trend of American heiresses going to England in search of titled husbands was quite an interesting concept for a storyteller. The three oldest granddaughters of Charles Carroll (probably the richest man in Maryland at the time of the American Revolution) supposedly nearly bankrupted the family estate in their search for titled husbands. Talk about irony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, I was just rereading Amy Carmichael's biography, A Chance To Die. She is a truly remarkable woman who was totally devoted to God. She left for missionary service in Japan in 1894 I believe, and then a couple years later went to India where she spent the rest of her life. She also wrote many books about her experiences. I think you'd enjoy reading A Chance To Die. It's written by Elisabeth Elliot, who is another missionary I admire.

      Delete
    2. Hey Kate. charles Carroll story sounds interesting. I need to look him up. We were just in MD last weekend. Visited my son that is in the Navy at Pax River. Went to the Harwood Hammond House in Annapolis. Lovely home.

      Delete
  8. Carrie - I love your books. Thanks Debbie for hosting. Carrie for my question - What is the most rewarding part of being a pastor's wife for you personally? (Other than being married to the pastor.)
    Shirley
    beekeeper5(at)bellsouth(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bee Mama, thanks for your kind words about my books. The most rewarding part of being a pastor's wife is seeing how God is working in the lives of the people in our lives...whether that's in our church or on our mission trips. It's a prviledge to serve the Lord and be called out to lead and care for others. I am very thankful we have this opportunity. Thanks for asking. : )

      Delete
    2. Hey Shirley. Thanks for stopping by. I had to smile when you asked what was the most rewarding part about being a pastor's wife and then said, "Other than being married to the pastor." I can tell you are a true romance reader.

      Delete
  9. I follow on Feedburner.
    Shirley
    beekeeper5(at)bellsouth(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the interview and would love to be entered in the drawing.

    Blessings,
    Jo
    ladijo40(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thanks for stopping by to read the interview. Hope you have a great day!

      Delete
    2. Hey Jo, Thanks for stopping by. Throwing your name in the hat now.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like an engaging story. I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Connie, Thanks for stopping by. am throwing your name in the hat now. Good luck!

      Delete
  12. Your book seems like it would be a great story to curl up in America or England.........hey how about Ireland's castles? They are great too! :) Pam Barry @ rnpbarry@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pam, Thanks for stopping by. Oh yes! I'd love to curl up in an England, Ireland or a Scotland castle and read this book! How fun would that be? Hubby and I stayed in an Italian castle on our 25th anniversary. Sooooo much fun!

      Delete
  13. This book sounds delightful and i would love to read it!!

    edwina@edwinacowgill.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie is a talented to writer. Thanks for stopping by, Edwina. Good Luck.

      Delete
  14. I love the cover of this book. I enjoy historical romance (that BA in History must be influencing me when I'm not looking :)). Please enter me in the drawing.

    Carolyn
    authorboyles at swbell.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carolyn, I love historical romance too! This book of Carrie's happens to be contemporary, but I can assure you it will be every bit as good! Throwing your name in the hat for the drawing.

      Delete
  15. It is interesting to learn about the time period rich young American women found husbands in need in England. Downtown Abbey portrays one of these women. I admit I enjoy that period of history. :)
    worthy2bpraised at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love English and Scottish historicals. What is it about those that just make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

      Delete
  16. I had never heard of the wealthy American woman going overseas to marry the poor gentry there. Interesting! I'll have to do some research on that.
    twinwillowsfarm at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Pegg, I never had heard about it either. Very interesting. I guess these wealthy women wanted the prestige of the nobility.

      Delete