Monday, March 12, 2012

A Bride's Sweet Surprise in Sauer's Indiana Ends March 19th


Ramona K. Cecil is a wife, mother, grandmother, freelance poet, and award-winning inspirational romance writer. First published in poetry, she’s had ninety inspirational verses published on gift items sold by Dicksons, Inc., a leader in the Christian gift market. Her other publishing credits include five inspirational historical romance novels and two novellas.
Ramona lives in southern Indiana with her husband, Jim. When not writing, she enjoys reading, gardening, and visiting places of historical interest.
 Ramona is giving away a copy of her new release, A Bride's Sweet Surprise in Sauer's Indiana. Leave a comment or tell of a place where you'd like to see a story set and let us know why to be entered into the drawing.
 
About. . .
A Bride’s Sweet Surprise in Sauer’s Indiana

A Bride’s Sweet Surprise is my seventh published historical romance novel and my first published full-length novel. But that’s not the only reason this story is special to me. Set in my own southern Indiana county, the book was inspired by accounts from my own family’s history.

When my agent informed me about Barbour Publishing’s Americana series and asked if I had any story ideas that might fit it, my “Sauers” story immediately came to mind. Sparked by my genealogist uncle’s stories from our family history, A Bride’s Sweet Surprise had percolated in the back of my mind for some time.

Sauers—a real place in my county—was settled in the 1830’s and 1840’s by German immigrants, many from the village of Venne in the kingdom of Hanover. Devout Lutherans, these hearty people settled first in Cincinnati, Ohio, after arriving in America. Desiring fertile land on which to found their farming community centered around their St. John’s Lutheran Church, they bought forty acres in Jackson County Indiana.  

It is against this backdrop that A Bride’s Sweet Surprise plays out. I remembered a story my uncle told me about one of our ancestors who desired to find a bride for his son. The father’s only criteria for the match, it seemed, was that the girl be of German heritage and of a “good family.” The son apparently had as little say in the choice as the young lady. As my uncle told the story my author brain kicked in, and I was struck by the notion that this would make a fantastic premise for a romance story. When my uncle went on to disclose an interesting twist to the story—something I can’t divulge without ruining the story—I knew I would one day work this anecdotal account of my family’s history into a fictional romance novel.

My uncle, to whom the book is dedicated, was a great help in providing me with historical facts of the history of Sauers and the people who founded it. In A Bride’s Sweet Surprise in Sauers, Indiana, I tried to capture the essence of the German farming community of 1849 as I asked myself the author’s question “I wonder what would have happened if. . .”

A Bride’s Sweet Surprise in Sauers, Indiana
(Backcover blurb)
Regina’s life isn’t fair. She feels she should be able to choose her own husband, just as her two older sisters did. Instead she’s been told by her father she must marry a man she’s never met—just so Papa can have a German son-in-law. But Regina has a plan. She’s prepared to do whatever she can to make her intended dislike her. . .until one look at handsome Diedrich Rothhaus leaves her heart beguiled and her resolve shaken.

Diedrich has two choices—remain in Germany and face conscription in the Prussian army or agree to an arranged marriage in America. He reluctantly agrees to the marriage, secretly hoping to side-step matrimony and escape to the California gold fields once he reaches American shores. But reluctance turns to rapture when he meets Regina.

Just as love claims their hearts, a cruel family secret comes to light. Can God’s intervention keep their love from slipping away?

43 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book, I'm putting it on my wish list.

    wfnren(at)aol(dot)com
    wrensthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! Thanks for stopping by. I do hope you get to add A Bride's Sweet Surprise in Sauers, Indiana to your book list.

      Delete
    2. Hey Wendy. Good to see you here today. So glad you are putting it on your wish list!

      Delete
  2. Yes! Sounds fantastic! I think a good location for a book would be Faith, South Dakota. Yeah, SD actually has a town named Faith :) I think it would be especially great for the Christian Fiction genre :)

    I'm a follower by feedburner.

    crazi.swans at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye! Absolutely Faith, S.D. would be a perfect setting for a Christian romance! I'll definitely have to keep that one in mind. :o)

      Delete
    2. Hey Faye, I think that sounds like a great place to set a novel. I might just have to think about that one!

      Delete
    3. LOL! We may be in competition on that name, Ramona!

      Delete
  3. I'm from the Midwest and would thoroughly enjoy this book!
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like reading a book set in your neck of the woods! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Hi Ruby! Glad to meet another Midwesterner! Oh yes, I do think you'd enjoy this story. Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a great story. I love reading historicals sparked by true events. :)
    twinwillowsfarm at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then this is the one for you Pegg. And a real town! good luck!

      Delete
    2. Hi Pegg! So do I! It always fascinates me when I learn an interesting snippet from the real-life past. It always makes me think "I wonder what was the whole story behind this," or "I wonder what would have happed if. . ." Thanks for stopping by and good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  5. This book sounds great!
    I cant wait to read it!
    How about Mason, WI?! Cute tiny town with only 79 people living in it!:)
    dymesich(at)juno(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love small towns! I came from one. Not even sure we had 79. We had one small store in the whole town. Never knew when it would be open. heehee

      Delete
    2. Hi Leah! Thank you so much. I hope you get a chance to check out the book. 79 people?! I'll be everyone knows everyone else! Mason, WI sounds ripe for a juicy story!

      Delete
  6. Ramona is am amazing writer! Whoever wins this book is in for a special treat. Blessings to you, Ramona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Kim. I agree! Ramona is amazing.

      Delete
    2. Ah thank you so much for the kind words, Kim. You taught me the power of description. To me, your stories are a treat! Many blessing to you, too.

      Delete
  7. I love the concept for this book. Don't usually read historicals, but this one has captured my imagination, and it's going on my wish list!
    pat(at)ptbradley(dot)c0m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pat! What a wonderful endorsement! I hope you get to check out the book. Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  8. Yay! Pat. Maybe we can get you hooked on historical's. I think you picked a good one to hook you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My father's family were German immigrants and this draw me to Ramona's romantic story. Please include me, thanks!
    worthy2bpraised at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have German family too. So much fun to read stories that have special meaning.

      Delete
    2. Hi Merry! You should find this story especially interesting. Up until WWII, the church in the story---St. John's Lutheran---had at least one service a month in German! There are still some German speakers in the area.

      Delete
  10. I am from Indiana so this book sounds doubly good. Thank you for the chance to win it. I remember goung to Haubstaudt to get some great German food!

    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'll meet you there. But you may have to wait as I am from South Carolina. ;o)

      Delete
    2. Hi Carol! Nice to meet another Hoosier! I do think you'd like this story. And some German dishes are mentioned along with their German names. :o)

      Delete
  11. Thank you for the entry in your giveaway...A Bride's Sweet Surprise looks like a really good read. I would love to see a story set in Hub, Mississippi...my Mother's birthplace.
    Its just a tiny town, but I've always been fascinated with her childhood, and then coming to Ohio as a bride. My Mother was Scotch-Irish and my Dad, German-Dutch, an interesting heritage.

    Have a blessed day,
    Sandee61

    Muzzley56[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandee! Hub Mississippi sounds like an interesting place. Your heritage sounds much like mine, but in reverse. My dad's family is Scots-Irish while my German heritage is on my mother's side. There's a lot of that combination in Indiana as our state was primarily settled by German and Scots-Irish immigrants. I do think you'd enjoy A Bride's Sweet Surprise. Thanks for stopping by and good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  12. Mmmmm have I mentioned I love Scottish heroes. I have a Scottish heroine in one of my manuscripts and a Scottish hero in the other. Lots of fun with the Scottish brogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Debbie Lynne. Scottish heroes capture my imagination, too! And I go ga-ga over bagpipe music! :o)

      Delete
  13. this sounds like a wonderful story...thanks for the chance to read it :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
    2. Waving at you again, Karen! good luck!

      Delete
  14. I love the premise of this book. This is on my must-read list this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen! Spring is the perfect time to read this story as it opens in April. Thanks for stopping by and good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
    2. Hey Kathleen, Thank you for stopping by. Ramona is an awesome story teller! Good Luck!!

      Delete
  15. Debbie Lynne,
    Thank you sooo much for the opportunity to talk about my new book, A Bride's Sweet Surprise in Sauers, Indiana on your blog! I'm loving meeting all your wonderful readers and getting a chance to converse with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tickled to have you here. Thank you for taking the time with all you have going on. You're a sweetheart!

      Delete
  16. This sounds like a very interesting story. It is going on my wishlist and I look forward to reading it. I am a follower through feedburner.

    sweetdarknectar at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Amy. Thanks for stopping by! Good luck on the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is definitely one for my TBR list.
    I would love to see a story set in Colusbus, MS. The town has some wonderful old homes and some real tales to go with them. Everything from escape tunnels from the basement to the river to a lovely multi-story home built by freedman brothers right downtown.
    As to ancestors mine are Scotch-Irish, English, and Cherokee Indian.
    Shirley
    beekeeper5(at)bellsouth(dot)net

    ReplyDelete