Monday, January 16, 2012

Where Wildflowers Bloom by Ann Shorey Ends January 30th

ANN SHOREY has been a full-time writer for over twenty years. Her writing has appeared in Chicken Soup for the Grandma’s Soul, and in the Adams Media Cup of Comfort series. She made her fiction debut with The Edge of Light, Book One in the At Home in Beldon Grove series. The Sisters at Heart series is her latest offering. She’s tempted to thank Peet’s coffee and Dove chocolates when she writes the acknowledgments for her books. She may be contacted through her website, www.annshorey.com, which also contains her blog, http://annshorey.blogspot.com/ or find her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AnnShorey.

Ann has graciously offered to giveaway a copy of her book. TO BE ENTERED IN THE DRAWING please answer the question: If you (the reader) could live in any time period when and where would that be and why? I'm so glad to have you here today, Ann. I just finished your book and loved it. Readers, this is a book you will love. Ann does a great job of taking you back to the reconstruction period following the Civil War. Splurge on yourself and buy this book! Now to the interview...

Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.
Ha! I’m in my office, wearing my bathrobe. Haven’t had breakfast yet. Hubby left early this morning, and I ran upstairs to catch up on email, Facebook, etc. Here I am an hour later!

If you could be any character in any literary book who would you be and why?
Right now, I’m thinking I’d like to be Mary Poppins. I don’t know for sure if a children’s book counts as literary, but it would be fun to magically accomplish tasks. Think how clean my house would be.

What is something that very few people know about you?
Down under my outgoing “meet and greet” persona lurks a shy person who’d rather remain on the sidelines and watch.

If you could live in any time period when and where would that be and why?
That’s a tough question! In spite of the current problems in the world, I think I’d like to live right here and now. I considered saying “the 1950’s,” because that was a peaceful era, but I’m used to the advances both society and science have made since then.

If you could visit any place in the world where would you go and why?
I’d love to go back to Australia and New Zealand with enough time and money to travel everywhere in that fascinating part of the world. I’d also love to visit Africa. I know that’s two places, but I couldn’t make up my mind. Then there’s Scotland, where my great-grandfather was born . . . Hmmm. With enough time and money, I could do it all. J

If you could meet any person alive or dead who would that be and why? (excluding the Lord)
I’d love to have the opportunity to meet my great-grandmother and spend time having her tell me about her life. She was married right after the War Between the States, traveled the Oregon Trail with her husband and four young children, then homesteaded in Washington Territory. Her life is full of stories!

What is the hardest part in writing a story?
Sometimes it’s the blank screen! Overall, the hardest part is dealing with interruptions. Keeping a story alive in my mind when I have to stop writing for any reason is a challenge. I keep a chapter log going, and have a synopsis to follow, but still have to backtrack to pick up the thread. Very time-consuming.

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research?
Since I write about women of the 19th Century, one of the most interesting things to me is how they dressed. Corsets, shifts, petticoats, hoops, dresses with acres of fabric, special outfits for morning (I mean the hours before noon), paying calls, etc. I can’t imagine wearing all that, much less keeping it clean without a washer and a dryer.

What is your favorite material item that you own (examples: ipod, Gone with the Wind book, grandmother’s rocking chair)
I had to stop and think what I’d rescue in case of fire, and decided that would be the photograph albums of my daughter’s babyhood and school years. They’re irreplaceable.

Thank you for inviting me to visit your blog, Debbie Lynne! I’ve enjoyed answering your questions. Readers, if you’d like to learn more about my books, please visit my website at www.annshorey.com.


How far will she go to follow her dreams?

The War Between the States stole a father and brother from Faith Lindberg—as well as Royal Baxter, the man she wanted to marry. With only her grandfather left, she dreams of leaving Noble Springs, Missouri, and traveling west to Oregon to start a new life, away from the memories that haunt her. But first she must convince her grandfather to sell the family's mercantile and leave a town their family has called home for generations.

When Royal Baxter suddenly returns, Faith allows herself to hope that she and Royal will finally wed. But does he truly love her? Or will another man claim her heart?



24 comments:

  1. Remember Readers, TO BE ENTERED IN THE DRAWING please answer the question: If you (the reader) could live in any time period when and where would that be and why?

    Ann, So glad to have you here today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would choose the pre- and Civil War era, hoping to work the underground railroad.

    I'd love to meet your Great-Grandma, also! Love to hear of stories of the West.

    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting me on your lovely blog, Debbie Lynne. It's going to be fun seeing your blog readers' choices of time periods. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Linda, Wow! What a choice. You must be a brave soul. I think that is an admirable choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would like to be one of the pioneers to move west on a wagon train, just think of the adventure and new roads you would be making for future generations.

    wfnren(at)aol(dot)com
    wrensthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any time period, hmm... such a hard choice. There are so many to choose from! I'm glad that God didn't leave that decision up to me.
    I would have to choose the early days of settling the west in the US. The pioneer days when you cooked on a woodstove and hauled water. Most folks were farmers or hunters then. I think I would fit in best with this time period.

    I have never read this book and would love for the opportunity to win a copy. Thank you for hosting this giveaway and interview. So fun!

    sheri(dot)salatin(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am such a wimp and so dependent on technology that I can't imagine living any time but today, but if I could just pop in for a visit...I might like to see our country through the eyes of the early explorers. It would be fun to America all wild and unspoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sort of agree with Karen... love the technology and conveniences of today! If I had to choose a time to visit I think revolutionary America. To see our country being formed must have been an amazing thing to be a part of.

    Patty
    pattymh2000 (at) yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to be Annie Oakley and travel with a Wild West show. I think it would be cool to live in her time period and be a woman who could ride and shoot as well as a man.

    Where Wildflowers Bloom sounds like another good story, Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow some great time periods there! I would want to live in the Victorian period. Probably in England. I love balls! And I love waltzing and I love to get dressed up, (although you wouldn't know that if you saw on a daily bases in my corduroys and cowboy boots.) But it is true, I love gowns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any time period? It sounds maybe a weird era to pick, I would love to live in 1930's or 40's.
    I love the clothing and I would like to be involved with Victory gardens etc. martha(at)lclink(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Probably the early 1900s would be my choice. I knew all my grandparents well and admire how they grew up and what they accomplished in their lives. I think that time period offered opportunities never before seen and such as may never be seen again.
    twinwillowsfarm at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been fun reading everyone's choices of time periods. I'm with Karen, I'll stick with now. Hubby and I camp in a canvas tent out in the Oregon Outback, where we have to bring our own water and get by for a week or so. That's enough of being primitive for me. :)
    Vickie, I'd love to see you as Annie Oakley!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to live in the 1800rds and go on a Wagon Train to the west, I know it was a hard life but honest work never hurt anyone, I like to see our Country when it was still new.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's such a tough a question for me. Probably the wagon train era, during the Gold Rush in California. This looks like a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would live in the late 1800's in New England. :D I do look forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thoroughly enjoying all of your responses. I think this is one of the reasons I love to read historicals. I can go back and live in a time I've never seen...well at least in my mind I can.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I'd just like to scroll back about 20 years, then appreciate everyday a bit more.

    Ann_Lee_Miller[at]msn[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for posting that interview with Ann Shorey. I think I'm with her, the fifties - early sixties would the be time period in which I'd like to live. It's too bad we can't have the simplicity of that time and the technology of today, too.

    Great post, Debbie Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ANN SHOREY SAID:

    Dawn, I've never thought of New England in the historical context! I'd love to read some books set back then. Does anyone have a recommendation?

    ReplyDelete
  21. ANN SHOREY SAID:

    Angela, We're kindred spirits. If we could have today's advances, the fifties would be so fun. Love the music that was on the "Top Ten" back then.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ANN SHOREY SAID:

    Aly, you're so right. If we could go back to a certain point and be more appreciative, it would be a dream. I'd love to have my mother back again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always been fascinated by my Mother's childhood, from listening to my Aunt Flora and her bringing back fond memories during the 30's and 40's in Mississippi. I'd love to go to that era. They worked in parachute plants during the war, dated soldiers and danced at USO canteens, and that's how my Mom met and evenually married my Dad in 1946. I love the music from that time also.

    Thank you for the entry. Have a blessed day!

    Sandee61

    Muzzley56[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Debbie Lynne, the comment form is working today! Yay.
    Sandee, what an interesting history you have with your aunt's stories. There must be a novel in there someplace. :)

    ReplyDelete