Friday, September 11, 2009

United We Stand, Never Shall We Forget


Is there anyone in America who doesn't remember where they were eight years ago today? I sure remember where I was. For 20 years my hubby had tried to get me on an airplane so we could see some of the United States and world, and for 20 years I told him no! If we couldn't drive there I wasn't going.

His job gave him the opportunity to fly out to Washington State for 2 weeks and I could fly with him for a little next to nothing. It would be an all expense paid vacation. My mother's sister and all her children, my cousins, live in the Seattle area. My father's sisters and their children live there too. I hadn't seen them in ages. How could I say no? It was a dream come true to see everyone, and on top of that my parents had just driven out there and so it'd be like a mini family reunion!

So I prayed for 2 months for a safe flight. Garnered my courage and boarded the plane on September 10, 2001. I went to bed that night thinking how easy it was and how glad I did it. And I woke to my mother's voice telling us to get up America was under attack. I still can't say those words without a lump in my throat and blurry eyes. Call me emotional but I love this country and the attack was and is personal for me. My father, uncles, cousins, husband, son all served in the military and I have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War. They served and fought for our freedom and and I choke up when I think how many died for it and an enemy came in on our land and attacked us unprovoked.

I've included a link to a 9/11 slide show. I will warn you, it is very emotional.

http://www.slideshare.net/jonathan0220/911-aerial-photos-1981441




The photos are courtesy of www.freedigitalphotos.net

2 comments:

  1. Heartbreaking slide show. We will never forget. the Lord gave me a scripture today, and until I reviewed the rubble in the pictures, I did not equate it with the significance of the day.
    Psalm 113
    "The Lord is exalted over all the nations, His glory is above the heavens. Who is like the Lord our God, the One who sits enthroned on high? who stoops to look down on the heavens and the earth? He raises the poor from the dust and the needy from the ash heap."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kathy what a powerful scripture to be given today. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete